Bug, Photoshop Elements

I'm on a Mac PowerBookG4 running OS 10.4.8. I downloaded free Switch and used it successfully. Application was closed when I later opened Adobe Photoshop Elements, Switch opened spontaneously and listed >50 files from AceCarbonLib to XAP Carbon in the Switch window. The icon for all of these files and the icon for Photoshop Elements were changed to a G Clef. Problem repeats everytime I try to open Photoshop Elements. I am unable to run Photoshop Elements unless Switch is in the trash. I posted a bug report. Any ideas here?

Thanks!

Pj

I've a iMac 24'' running 10.4.8 and I've exactly the same problem but with Adobe Photoshop 7 (and Adobe Image Ready) (with a G Clef).

I've also Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 but it's not affected.

This is really a strange problem !

Make that 3 of us. I am having the exact same problem as josiane:

24" PPC 2.1 GB iMac running 10.4.8.

If I open Photoshop 7 from a Finder window, it opens Switch. Ditto for Image Ready. Also the treble clef icon.

Photoshop opens from the Dock, however Image Ready in the Tools pallet is dimmed.

I've tried:

repairing permissions

running Yasu to clean out caches and such

and

repaired the directory with Disk Warrior.

none of which helped.

Yes, thanks, Basil, for offering a solution that works.

I installed Switch yesterday on a PowerMac G4 running OS 10.4.9, and Adobe Photoshop 7 and Adobe Image Ready 7 immediately became unavailable to me. Their icons turned into a musical "G clef," and, even when I used Retrospect to retrieve a previous folder containing all of the Photoshop files, those retrieved applications also had their icons appear as G clefs that were no good for loading Photoshop or Image Ready.

Somehow the installation of Switch disables Adobe Photoshop and Image Ready. For the record, I had renamed those files with their version numbers, so my affected files were "Adobe Photoshop 7.0" and "Adobe Image Ready 7.0". Whether the bug lurking within Switch has a fondness for files so named is not something I can confirm, but I offer that information in case it helps the developers to track down and fix the problem.

Let's hope Basil's fix is a permanent one!

JMB

Somehow the installation of Switch disables Adobe Photoshop and Image Ready. For the record, I had renamed those files with their version numbers, so my affected files were "Adobe Photoshop 7.0" and "Adobe Image Ready 7.0". Whether the bug lurking within Switch has a fondness for files so named is not something I can confirm, but I offer that information in case it helps the developers to track down and fix the problem.

It doesn't actually disable programs, it recognizes them as Switch documents and "takes over."

I believe you have something there about the naming of programs that "triggers" the bug. Along with "Adobe Photoshop 7.0" and "Adobe Image Ready 7.0" I just found out that my (classic) "Street Atlas USA 6.0" got the G clef icon. I think it is the ".0" at the end that is the culprit.

Go to an "Get Info" window for Photoshop. Add the extension ".app" to the name. Close "Get Info" window, problem solved!

Thanks for the fix - I view this as a major problem. I really need photoshop for my income and I could not use it for hours!

• 3 weeks later...
Go to an "Get Info" window for Photoshop. Add the extension ".app" to the name. Close "Get Info" window, problem solved!

I was happy to find this topic covered. I found Photo Shop Elements 2. I Added .app but it still wouldn't open. Putting Switch in the trash did work. I'll be anxious to hear when Switch solves the problem.

I was happy to find this topic covered. I found Photo Shop Elements 2. I Added .app but it still wouldn't open. Putting Switch in the trash did work. I'll be anxious to hear when Switch solves the problem.

Make sure you are showing all your file extensions (Finder -> Preferences -> Advanced). For me, either Switch or Automator was taking over all Carbonized apps with a ".number" at the end. Just removing the number did the trick most times. At the same time, Classic apps with a dot-number at the end were taken over by Script Editor. I don't know if its necessarily a Switch problem or a 10.4.8/10.4.9-in-combination-with-specific-apps problem.

• 1 month later...