doesn't recognize ring

JayTB

I am using;

BroadVoice

AOpen FM56-PX modem

Linksys PAP2T

Outlook 2003

XP-Pro

The IVM sees the modem and if I connect my pstn line through the modem to the phone the IVM will answer on ring.

When I run a VoIP line through the PAP2 and then the modem to the phone the IVM will not answer. The phone rings but the IVM does not recognize the ring and will not answer.

Maybe use one of their 2 line PCI cards?

I also have a problem with Outlook 2003 sending mail from the IVM. I get a message that I have to "allow" the IVM to send the message using Outlook 2003.

This means I have to be on the computer and click OK to have the IVM send a message by email. Not good, that defeats the purpose.

I have looked eveywhere in Outlook 2003 and can not find a way to automatically send the message.

I like the IVM but before I purchase it I need to fix the above.

Thanks in advance,

JayTB

I also have a problem with Outlook 2003 sending mail from the IVM. I get a message that I have to "allow" the IVM to send the message using Outlook 2003.

This means I have to be on the computer and click OK to have the IVM send a message by email. Not good, that defeats the purpose.

I have looked eveywhere in Outlook 2003 and can not find a way to automatically send the message.

That is strange, I haven't had the problem. I recommend downloading and installing a new email client that is (I think its called) MAPI compliant, allowing software to interface with it and send emails. One example is Eudora. Once you do that set it up with your email account and set it as the default email client. Restart, and when IVM attempts to send emails it should go through Eudora instead so there will be no Outlook error messages. You can also specify the mail server in IVM so its hooked up directly to your email provider, if you do that it skips the client program like Outlook and Eudora and sends the message itself.

When I run a VoIP line through the PAP2 and then the modem to the phone the IVM will not answer. The phone rings but the IVM does not recognize the ring and will not answer.

Maybe use one of their 2 line PCI cards?

Ok, first of all that won't really work, you can't just merge the two lines together with a splitter piece at the modem or whatever you seem to be doing. And if you have the modem phone cable on the second pair of wires and the other one on the first pair unless you have a 2 line voice modem it won't detect the one on the second pair.

To get to my point... using the modem to answer the VoIP call is useless. It is actually more inefficient, lesser quality and

redundant. IVM was built to answer VoIP calls. You can setup IVM with your VoIP account and give it direct access to the line over the network rather than the voice modem, when a call comes in IVM answers it without problems.

I also recommend the use of Axon (a free software from NCH) which allows you to setup a call management system (PBX) on your network. For instance, if normally your VoIP calls go to your router, and then to a phone connected to your router and/or the voice modem, instead of this, setup Axon to use your voip account. You can then hook up a phone to your VoIP hardware and have it register with Axon. Then axon can be instructed to perform almost any action you need, the possibilities are nearly endless, you can make the call go straight to IVM (IVM will also register itself with Axon, and then if you set it up Axon can forward all incoming calls directly to IVM). You can also have Axon ring any of the phones connected/registered to axon, whether it be a softphone, or a phone connected to an ATA like your router. IVM can even forward a call on to phones or extensions setup with Axon so if a user phones in and they want to talk to a person you can immediately transfer the call to the phones set up with Axon.

That is strange, I haven't had the problem. I recommend downloading and installing a new email client that is (I think its called) MAPI compliant, allowing software to interface with it and send emails. One example is Eudora. Once you do that set it up with your email account and set it as the default email client. Restart, and when IVM attempts to send emails it should go through Eudora instead so there will be no Outlook error messages. You can also specify the mail server in IVM so its hooked up directly to your email provider, if you do that it skips the client program like Outlook and Eudora and sends the message itself.

My isp requires that I use their smtp. I set up IVM using their smtp but it still used Outlook to go through.

I have all of the computers setup with Office 2003, so Eudora is not an option for me.

Ok, first of all that won't really work, you can't just merge the two lines together with a splitter piece at the modem or whatever you seem to be doing. And if you have the modem phone cable on the second pair of wires and the other one on the first pair unless you have a 2 line voice modem it won't detect the one on the second pair.
I hooked them up one at a time to test and found IVM was not picking up the line run through my ATA.

I also recommend the use of Axon (a free software from NCH) which allows you to setup a call management system (PBX) on your network. For instance, if normally your VoIP calls go to your router, and then to a phone connected to your router and/or the voice modem, instead of this, setup Axon to use your voip account. You can then hook up a phone to your VoIP hardware and have it register with Axon. Then axon can be instructed to perform almost any action you need, the possibilities are nearly endless, you can make the call go straight to IVM (IVM will also register itself with Axon, and then if you set it up Axon can forward all incoming calls directly to IVM). You can also have Axon ring any of the phones connected/registered to axon, whether it be a softphone, or a phone connected to an ATA like your router. IVM can even forward a call on to phones or extensions setup with Axon so if a user phones in and they want to talk to a person you can immediately transfer the call to the phones set up with Axon.

My BroadVoice account settings are in the Linksys PAP2T. I used Asterisk for awhile but it wasn't what I wanted.

I was hoping to set up my land line and 1 voip line using one of the PCI cards they sell but if IVM won't recognize the ring through my ATA I'm not exactly sure what direction to go.

I just tried to set up Axon but it would have to accept input from the PAP2T and I couldn't get it to do that. Axon and IVM kept trying to connect directly to the SIP account.

Thank You for the response.

My isp requires that I use their smtp. I set up IVM using their smtp but it still used Outlook to go through.

I have all of the computers setup with Office 2003, so Eudora is not an option for me.

This is very strange I thought for certain when you picked the smtp option and filled out the details that IVM didn't try to use the email client on the computer at all to send emails. You may have to contact NCH about that one.

I hooked them up one at a time to test and found IVM was not picking up the line run through my ATA.

Ok, so when you attach the PSTN phone line to the modem it recognizes an incoming call, but not when you plug the standard analog line that comes out of your ATA? Are you certain that the ATA is actually receiving the calls? i.e. when you plug a phone into the ATA does it ring for incoming phone calls? If It does, this is a strange problem. It could be few things I suppose, perhaps the voltage outputted by the ATA to indicate a phone ring is not very much and does not trigger the modem to answer the call, may be the regional settings are affecting it, I'm not sure.

My BroadVoice account settings are in the Linksys PAP2T.
Is your Linksys PAP2T device locked? If it is, that is too bad, and yes you'll have to use the analog method you are attempting. If not there is much easier way to accomplish what you're doing digitally without the hassle and quality loss of the voice modem.

Are you certain that the ATA is actually receiving the calls? i.e. when you plug a phone into the ATA does it ring for incoming phone calls? If It does, this is a strange problem. It could be few things I suppose, perhaps the voltage outputted by the ATA to indicate a phone ring is not very much and does not trigger the modem to answer the call, may be the regional settings are affecting it, I'm not sure.
Yes the ATA does ring through, it is hooked up and rings with out going through the modem. It rings going through the modem but it doesn't get answered.

I think you are right about the voltage.

Is your Linksys PAP2T device locked?

It is not locked, I set up the PAP2 and everything has been working for awhile now.

If not there is much easier way to accomplish what you're doing digitally without the hassle and quality loss of the voice modem.

What would you suggest?

Instead of setting up your PAP2T device to register with your BroadVoice VoIP service, you should get Axon on your computer to register with the BroadVoice service. Then you can register the PAP2T as a VoIP extension on Axon. So if you want you can have it so when a call comes in, the phone attached to the PAP2T rings (as it normally would), but the only difference is the call is now routed through the computer with Axon on it, and then you can tell axon what to do for incoming calls, example send it to IVM to answer and take a message if you don't answer or whatever you want (indefinite number of possibilities). This way you don't need a modem or any analog hardware to have IVM answer the call, and you can still set it up so the phone connected to your PAP2T rings like it normally would when a call comes in. If you need a more in depth explanation on settings etc. please don't hesitate to ask.

What I really want is to have both lines answered and 3 mailboxes with the email attachment forward option.

I am only using the modem for testing and to make sure everything works before I buy the program(s)

That is why I thought maybe the PCI card or the USB device they sell would handle both lines.

I emailed Support and the only reply was the auto response.

I will think about your suggestion and if I go that way I will get with you.

I read your set-up in the Axon forum.

Very well done.

Yes the free support from NCH is not very good, and it will take a very long time to get a satisfactory response. Unless you opt for the paid support option, the forum is probably your best source of advice.

Also, I just wanted to make it clear (because after re-reading it may have been a bit confusing), that the method I suggested above requires no additional hardware, and no extra costs. The only thing you would need to obtain is the Axon software which is completely free. Also Axon was built to work with IVM, so you can have your PSTN line and your voip line connected to the same IVM system and use the same mailboxes etc. I.e. you can have IVM answer from a modem line and a VoIP line simultaneously no problem, up to 64 phone lines can be used with IVM at any given moment.

Also, I just wanted to make it clear (because after re-reading it may have been a bit confusing), that the method I suggested above requires no additional hardware, and no extra costs. The only thing you would need to obtain is the Axon software which is completely free. Also Axon was built to work with IVM, so you can have your PSTN line and your voip line connected to the same IVM system and use the same mailboxes etc. I.e. you can have IVM answer from a modem line and a VoIP line simultaneously no problem, up to 64 phone lines can be used with IVM at any given moment.

I have Axon installed. What settings do I put into, Axon, IVM and the PAP2T?

I fixed it.

In the PAP2T I changed;

Ring Voltage:70

to

Ring Voltage:80

and

Ring Frequency:25

to

Ring Frequency:46

These are the only settings I could get it to work on but it works fine, except it still won't send email with out my clicking OK.

If I can get it to send the email automatically I will go ahead and buy it.

UPDATE

The problem is with the Microsoft patches in older versions of Outlook and it is automatic in 2002 up versions of Outlook.

Microsoft says it can not be disabled.

Here is a link to a program that disables it.

http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/

I downloaded it and IVM can now send mail.