Unable to load audio files in new Scribe version

bex

I also just downloaded the newest version yesterday and although I used the Sony format, was also unable to use the ES.

In fact any time I opened it up to try to use it, it locked up my entire system and I wasn't even able to close it to use anything else on the computer. The others who I work with who recommended I use this are not having any problems, but do have earlier versions. I will try the suggestion of using Switch, but I wonder if there is any way to download an earlier version for use.

The welcome message worked fine and that was the end of it for me. :(

I also just downloaded the newest version yesterday and although I used the Sony format, was also unable to use the ES.

In fact any time I opened it up to try to use it, it locked up my entire system and I wasn't even able to close it to use anything else on the computer. The others who I work with who recommended I use this are not having any problems, but do have earlier versions. I will try the suggestion of using Switch, but I wonder if there is any way to download an earlier version for use.

The welcome message worked fine and that was the end of it for me. :(

You can find v 4.05 on this website. www.download.com. If this link doesn't work, go to the site and search for "Express Scribe" (rather than ExpressScribe). The version downloads as a zip file, which is nice. You can keep it around and switch off between the new and old as you like. Best of luck--krn

http://www.download.com/Express-Scribe/300...tml?tag=lst-0-1

I have also been having all of these problems.

Someone suggested downing the 4.05 version from www.download.com , search Express Scribe and it works great.

I was up and running in just a few minutes without any of the stress I had been having.

I hope this version remains available until the glitches are worked out with the new one. B)

Guest nchto

I can assure that we are taking this issue seriously and are still looking into it (it's not a simple 10 minute fix). If you are experiencing problems then by all means please do use the previous v4.05 release. I'll update you all once I know more from the developers.

• 1 month later...
Guest nchto

Version 4.13 of Express Scribe is in final testing now and should be live by the end of this week xfingers.gif.

Fixed Pedals so quick tap works

Fixed rewind and stop buttons on scribe mini when using hot keys

Fixed error with menu item shortcuts

In Help -> Fixed references to Express Rip changed to Express Scribe regarding CD Loading

HotKey Shortcut References removed from Tooltips of Scribe Mini window

Changed display of speed at 47-> 53 now reads at Speed 50%

Hot Keys for Go to Start/End work regardless of whether Scribe is the Active Window

Auto BackStep on number cannot be 0 any longer must be equal to or greater than 0

Dispatch now allows mutliple attachments to be sent with the file

Fixed Crash on Close

Fixed Crash on Clicking Help Links

Fixed Rename on File Porting Change bug

Worked with CM on a change for loading dxsource files like msv-dvf

Fixed Redraw Issue for Windows XP on volume bar

Settings->Other->”Use word processor document..” list view. Empty list by default. Fixed

Fixed Running one instance at at time

File->Recover old files.

Dictation List view. Sorting works again.

Settings->Files->File type saved.

Resizing Right Corner of Main Window drawing fixed

Default space is low message appears at 50MB, can be changed in settings

Shortcut for Word btn (Ctrl + W) fixed

WMA files which are copy righted will have problems loading. This is due to Windows Copy Protection

I saved file to DCT then tried open it with Scribe by double click on file from file explorer. Scribe did not loaded it. This is a bug. * This only occurs if the File is Invalid. With 0 duration. Added a delete if file is less than 0 on a timer.

Changed the way the notes field loads the text. Cursor will no longer job nor will the scrollbar move.

Fixed error where the notes do not delete if set to empty.

New Dictation Count is now correct

Added Bubbletip when user has hit the maximum number of characters typed in the list view.

*Settings*

Auto Backstep on Stop message and checking has now been changed.

Fixed Issue with HotKeys Rewind and Fastforward and Scribe Mini Rewind and Fastforward

Added Range Checking on PlaybackTab: Variable Slow and Fast Speed Fields

Fixed Issue with Emailing date: Month and Hour to work with Daylight Savings

Fixed Issue with Pedals (VPE) working funny without running the setup wizard

Added Check in Settings For the Notify Bubble to Appear and added to help

Changed Load and Recover Dialogs to be derived from FrameWindow, Menus, Toolbars and StatusBar added

Added CM's fix for dxsource loading of wma and msv-dvf files

New fix for gmail ssl sending of email

Fixed Delay with Loading Recover Old Files

Fixed Daylight Savings on email

Stopped welcome.wav from reloading after being deleted.

When dictations deleted: notes are grayed out Fixed

Fixed Close on Scribe Mini

Pressed on enter on the selected Dictation List item. Nothing happen. Expected playing selected file.

Changed Speed Handling and Display

Fixed Stack overflow on string error

Please help. I have successfully downloaded a free version of Express scribe. I have audio files on a cd to transfer into it. I have done this but instead of saving over an hour of each file it is only saving the first couple of minutes.

what should I do?

Please help. I have successfully downloaded a free version of Express scribe. I have audio files on a cd to transfer into it. I have done this but instead of saving over an hour of each file it is only saving the first couple of minutes.

what should I do?

All versions of ExpressScribe are free. I'm not clear on how you can have more than one file with over an hour on an audio cd. The medium usually doesn't take more than 1:19 minutes in audio format. Perhaps they're in another format, in which case use "load dictation files" and use the drive letter as the file to load from. If you see the files, they're probably not in audio format. Try loading them and see if that works better.

All versions of ExpressScribe are free. I'm not clear on how you can have more than one file with over an hour on an audio cd. The medium usually doesn't take more than 1:19 minutes in audio format. Perhaps they're in another format, in which case use "load dictation files" and use the drive letter as the file to load from. If you see the files, they're probably not in audio format. Try loading them and see if that works better.

I have tried to do what you suggest wiht no success. the files on cd are windows media audio files. I note that if I delete and reload them I can increase the amount of time saved from 4 minutes to 12 but it will not save anymore than that. It is so frustrating as It almost works but not quite!.I have tried on my pc at work and a laptop with no success.

I have tried to do what you suggest wiht no success. the files on cd are windows media audio files. I note that if I delete and reload them I can increase the amount of time saved from 4 minutes to 12 but it will not save anymore than that. It is so frustrating as It almost works but not quite!.I have tried on my pc at work and a laptop with no success.

If these are wma files, that is, if they have .wma as an extension, then you're not dealing with an audio cd--i.e., like a music cd which can take up to 1:19 hours of audio. Rather, you have a wma format file on a CD medium. Why they are not loading, when you use "load dictation files" and give the drive letter (say, D or E) where your CD is located, is another question. It may be that the files are copyright protected, which is not something I've dealt with. It is address in various other forums, such as Switch.

Just to make sure that I couldn't reproduce a problem with loading the format as such, I just now did successfully load a wma format file, albeit from my PC, into ExpressScribe.

A test would be whether you can save a copy of the file to your hard-drive, say My Music, and load it to ExpressScribe from there, and/or whether you can convert the saved .wma file to another format such as wav or mp3. If not, it may be that it has a write-protect on it for copyright or proprietary purposes.

Guest nchto

what should I do?

What version number of Express Scribe are you using? You can find this information from the Help -> About window.

I would add that the new version of Express Scribe (4.13) can't load Olympus recorder sound files. (wma. format)

You might give this problem a little priority since Olympus sells a heck of a lot of recorders.

What Express Scribe does is load a minute or two of the file and then stops.

It consistently does that every time. I have tried it with multiple Olympus recorder wma files.

Version 4.13 of Express Scribe is in final testing now and should be live by the end of this week .

So far v 4.13 has a number of problems: Re Gerald's wma/Olympus report. I tested an old wma file, originally coded that way outside of digital voice recorders, and which had loaded to earlier versions. Both wma, and the msv/dvf files load only a few seconds or minutes. I looked to see how they converted in c:\documents and settings\...scribe\current and no wav file shows up at all. Meantime, the Welcome audio reloads every time Scribe is opened, and if the wav file is deleted from c:\...\scribe\current, then the title loads with 00:00 minutes.

This is causing serious problems for people who rely on Scribe, and have purchased other Swift Sound products based on Scribe's reputation for reliability and the gold standard of transcription software. KRN

Guest nchto

I'll pass this on to the developers. We changed the way files were loaded due to complaints that it took too long to process. The current method may be having problems with certain aspects of these files due to the removed redundancies.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the problems discussed above with Sony files after downloading version 4.12 (files taking forever to load). Just got 4.13 and it works great! Thank you so much.

In fact, there is a problem with the link to "latest" version of ExpressScribe. The link to the zip file is not to version 4.13, but to Oct. 2006 version 4.05, which is one of the last versions that did beautifully load msv/dvf and also wma files. As of now, 4.13 does not load either. I have provided one of the techs with exemplars of both msv and wma for him to work on, and he reports that version 4.14, soon to be released, will actually have the problems repaired. In between transcribing... keep your fingers crossed. In the meantime, if you're happy with 4.05, by all means stick with that. If you prefer 4.13 for some applications, you can save that version in one place and the zip file as well, as install each as needed. They install so quickly, it's worth it... KRN

My company has been recommending the use of your product for all of our Transcriptionists to type with. All of our files come down as .wma files. If this issue can not be fixed with the loading of these file types we will have to go to another company. What version did it work fine on and can we get a copy at that level so we don't lose work? Thanks

My company has been recommending the use of your product for all of our Transcriptionists to type with. All of our files come down as .wma files. If this issue can not be fixed with the loading of these file types we will have to go to another company. What version did it work fine on and can we get a copy at that level so we don't lose work? Thanks

It looks like version 4.14 is now up and running. I tested it last night with msv files, which had been a big hair-ball since Feb., and it worked! Version 4.13 had problems with both the Sony (msv/dvf) files and wma, and I've provided both exemplars to an NCH Tech who was working on the 4.14 version. Long story short: The new version should work with wma files as long as they are not drm (copy protected). You can try it... I don't happen to be in a location where I can do that. When you go to the scribe webpage, any link to "essetup.exe" is for 4.14, the latest version. I believe their link to the zip file is to an older version, 4.05, which definitely does work for wma and Sony, BUT predates the release of Windows Vista. Maybe NCHTO admin will have more pointers, but I think we may well have clear sailing here.

Good luck! KRN

It looks like version 4.14 is now up and running. I tested it last night with msv files, which had been a big hair-ball since Feb., and it worked! Version 4.13 had problems with both the Sony (msv/dvf) files and wma, and I've provided both exemplars to an NCH Tech who was working on the 4.14 version. Long story short: The new version should work with wma files as long as they are not drm (copy protected). You can try it... I don't happen to be in a location where I can do that. When you go to the scribe webpage, any link to "essetup.exe" is for 4.14, the latest version. I believe their link to the zip file is to an older version, 4.05, which definitely does work for wma and Sony, BUT predates the release of Windows Vista. Maybe NCHTO admin will have more pointers, but I think we may well have clear sailing here.

Good luck! KRN

P.S. I've been using ExpressScribe, because I'm unable to use a footpedal, since at least 2000, and have helped install it in three or four countries, as well as numerous U.S. locations. The fact that the hot keys are single keys is a big plus. Simply put, I think it's the gold standard of transcription software. KRN

Good luck! KRN

Luckily ours are not copy protected so I will have MTs go straight up to 4.14 after I run a few tests on my computer. Thanks appreciate the information. KMC