Save data to CSV or Access database

Henry1999

I have VRS 5.07 enterprise edition, which was purchased in January, 2007. I have a dedicated computer with Windows 2000, SP4. It also contains Microsoft Office 2003 with Access,Excel, Word, etc. I am logged-in as the administrator.

Everything works perfectly except the database logging feature.

On the Database tab, I checked the CSV logging options and left all default settings intact. According to the help file, the CSV file should be created automatically, but it was not. I have tried changing the file location and reducing the data (to only %date%), but the file was not populating any data.

I also tried the "Database and Table Selection" by creating a DSN (called PhoneRecord) under the ODBC Data Source method. This DSN points to the Access database, PhoneRecordings.mdb, which contains a table (LogTable) all (nine) of the default field names (Date, Time,Channel, etc.) per the default SQL statement. I used the name, test, for initial creation of the database.

After recording a call, I receive the error message, "Unable to open database PhoneRecordings (username test)" at the end of each recording in the dialog box.

I noticed in an earlier VRS forum responses on December 5, 2006 that someone had a similar issue. He suggested to run the VRS as a service and "run on this account", which I have checked and setup as the "Administrator". After setting the "run as service" feature from the "General" tab, the error message, "Unable to open database PhoneRecordings (username test)", was not displayed. But, the database was not updated, nor the CSV file created. Therefore, this method did not help anything other than erase the error message.

I have painstakingly checked the field names for correct spelling (caps and all) to match the names in the default SQL code. All 9 fields are setup as text fields in the Access table (LogTable).

Also, on the Access database setup, why does the "Test Login Details" return "correct", but the "Test SQL Command" return "incorrect" with the default SQL code into a database table with all text fields and fieldnames per the default code?

There must be some additional setting, which is stopping the CSV from being created or the Access database from being updated.

I am at a complete loss for checking further. :blink:

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks,

-Henry

The problem with your Database insertion is that the VRS service cannot recognize mapped drives, this includes ones that are set in the ODBC. Microsoft has blocked any attempt at obtaining the full path name from a service.

This would generally not be a problem except when using the Microsoft Access Database Driver. It allows only a mapped drive to be used as a location. (Other Database connections rely on an Engine to interact between the program and the database and thus do not require a path.)

The only way this can be changed is if it is set in the ODBC registry.

If you are using a System Database you will need to change the key at:

$LOCAL_MACHINE$\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\System\[Database Name] key DBQ:

from "z:\database.mdb" to "\\md\datasouce\database.mdb"

A User database is stored at:

$CURRENT_USER$\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\[Database Name] key DBQ:

from "z:\database.mdb" to "\\md\datasouce\database.mdb".

The Database Tab works in VRS it is because it is not running as a service. This will be changed in the next release to make the test run on the background service so the test and the insertion become consistent.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried to make the suggested modification to resgitry, but nothing works.

I found the resigistry key as described, but VRS would not recognize the Access database. I finally gave up sveral weeks ago.

I still would like to know why the CSV file is not created. I have CSV files from the Axon software recording properly.

Thanks,

-Henry

Guest nchto

Are you using a shared or mapped drive to store your csv file or your database?

If you do not have write and create permissions on the folder, the file will not be created.

If it is a shared drive you must provide the UNC name not the mapped path for the location of the file. You must also run VRS under an account that has permissions on that folder.

Unfortunately Services are not permitted to use mapped drive names. The Access ODBC connection setup only allows the mapped drive name, so the UNC path must be set in the registry.

We can send you a debug version to determine why it is not saving, but (assuming you are using the latest version uploaded in February) the issue must be one of permissions.

The sample insertion will not work on all databases. Some require a semi colon at the end and it also is dependant on your field names. It is therefore meant as a sample.

Please let us know if you have any further problems.

• 11 months later...

A User database is stored at:

$CURRENT_USER$\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\[Database Name] key DBQ:

from "z:\database.mdb" to "\\md\datasouce\database.mdb".

The Database Tab works in VRS it is because it is not running as a service. This will be changed in the next release to make the test run on the background service so the test and the insertion become consistent.

I never could get the database to work properly last year. When I changed the User database info from "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\PhoneRecordings.mdb" to "\\md\datasouce\PhoneRecordings.mdb", it never helped.

Anyway, is the newer version of VRS now corrected this problem?

Thanks,

-Henry