Setting Axon for incoming calls from a SIP provider

sandun

Hi,

I am newb wrt VOIP and Axon. I have setup Axon v1.09 on a Win XP machine.

I have also set an up external line to a VOIP provider (Pennytel). From an extension (either ATA or Softphone/ExpressTalk), I can make out going calls via the Pennytel external line. (Uplink/Skype set up also works well).

The problem is, I can not receive any calls from Pennytel i.e. another Pennytel user can not call me. I get a pennytel message saying that person is not available.

How ever, (after shutting down Axon), if I set up two different softphones (e.g. ExpressTalk and XTen) on the same machine linked to two Pennytel accounts (one being the same as the Axon external line account and the second is test account), I can make and receive calls between the two.

Any ideas why Axon cannot receive calls from the external line? (the console says "registered as sip xxxx@pennytel.com" - good, and the Axon public ip is correct.)

Thanks.

O.K, I found the problem was due my PC having multiple network connections.

My server has:

(1) Local Network (i.e. tied to the ethernet card -> router->modem->WAN)

(2) VPN (Hamachi VPN)

In Windows ControlPanel->NetworkSettings->Advanced, the connection order is set use the local network adapter(nic) first, followed by VPN.

Axon (same goes to Uplink) shows the following in the console:

private ip <192.168.1.x:5060>

public ip <WAN_IP:5060>

public ip <VPN_IP:5060>

Axon uses the 'last bound ip' - i.e. the VPN IP. Hence my service provider (Pennytel) cannot locate me with that VPN IP. If I disable the VPN connection, then Axon uses the WAN IP and everything works. Re-enable VPN and Axon switches to using the VPN IP as the public IP.

Why is Axon (and Uplink) using the IP from the second (last) network adapter from the list of available adapters provided by windows? Seems like a bug.

O.K, I found the problem was due my PC having multiple network connections.

My server has:

(1) Local Network (i.e. tied to the ethernet card -> router->modem->WAN)

(2) VPN (Hamachi VPN)

In Windows ControlPanel->NetworkSettings->Advanced, the connection order is set use the local network adapter(nic) first, followed by VPN.

Axon (same goes to Uplink) shows the following in the console:

Axon uses the 'last bound ip' - i.e. the VPN IP. Hence my service provider (Pennytel) cannot locate me with that VPN IP. If I disable the VPN connection, then Axon uses the WAN IP and everything works. Re-enable VPN and Axon switches to using the VPN IP as the public IP.

Why is Axon (and Uplink) using the IP from the second (last) network adapter from the list of available adapters provided by windows? Seems like a bug.

I have a quite similar problem which I reported Monday to technical support but got no answer yet:

My PC has 2 IP addresses on the same network card. I can see in my network traces that Axon is always using "the second IP" as the IP address. Since this second IP address is in a public range and doesn't actually belong to my network, the SIP provider never finds my Axon.

I also think it's a bug since setting a static address in Axon doesn't help. It still uses the wrong IP Address.

(btw: I have this weird network configuration because I have a VoIP phone which tries to connect to some pre-programed provider which I "static-route" to my Axon instead)

• 1 month later...
I have a quite similar problem which I reported Monday to technical support but got no answer yet:

My PC has 2 IP addresses on the same network card. I can see in my network traces that Axon is always using "the second IP" as the IP address. Since this second IP address is in a public range and doesn't actually belong to my network, the SIP provider never finds my Axon.

I also think it's a bug since setting a static address in Axon doesn't help. It still uses the wrong IP Address.

(btw: I have this weird network configuration because I have a VoIP phone which tries to connect to some pre-programed provider which I "static-route" to my Axon instead)

I have the same problem but simply due to my PocketPC being cradled (creates mobile networking NIC when cradled).

• 1 year later...