Saving Stereo To Mono

lny98

All:

I just downloaded Wavepad and love it. Before I upgrade I need to know how to load a stereo recording and save it as 2 track mono.

I tried using the mono save-as option but as best I can tell, only the "left" track was saved without the "right" tracks info.

I basically need to edit some songs (and reburn them to CD) that will be played over a MONO public address system. I basically need both channels info burned into one track's info, yet saved on both stereo tracks of the CD (so it doesn't matter if they plug either left or right channel cords into PA system).

I hope I made myself clear.

Thanks,

Lou

• 2 months later...

I wish I could help you Lou, but I am having a problem with understanding the "mono" feature in WavePad.

I am trying to help a local Church out with some of their recordings, the recordings were recorded through one channel on one side only, when played back it comes through the left side only. I was told that WavePad can save these files as mono files in order to produce audio from both the left and right channels when they are played back. Anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

-Scott

All:

I just downloaded Wavepad and love it.  Before I upgrade I need to know how to load a stereo recording and save it as 2 track mono.

I tried using the mono save-as option but as best I can tell, only the "left" track was saved without the "right" tracks info.

I basically need to edit some songs (and reburn them to CD) that will be played over a MONO public address system.  I basically need both channels info burned into one track's info, yet saved on both stereo tracks of the CD (so it doesn't matter if they plug either left or right channel cords into PA system).

Thanks,

Lou

Ok, after scanning over the help files, it plainly tells me this is how to convert the channels to streo or mono...

To convert the channels of the current file (stereo to mono or visa versa) select File -> Convert Channels.

And it worked great. So far, I have not had any problems with this software and it is doing a great job! Thanks NCH!

In His service

-Scott

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
I wish I could help you Lou, but I am having a problem with understanding the "mono" feature in WavePad.

I am trying to help a local Church out with some of their recordings, the recordings were recorded through one channel on one side only, when played back it comes through the left side only.  I was told that WavePad can save these files as mono files in order to produce audio from both the left and right channels when they are played back.  Anyone know how to do this?

Thank you

-Scott

You're right. Apparently when Wave Pad converts stereo to mono, it simply saves the left channel as mono. It's not mixiing the two channels together. There are technical reasons for this. When you combine two sound channels with the same audio, it will phase out. That's how sound programs can strip out vocals for kareoke. Vocals are usually "centered" equally between the two channels. I have several sound editing applications and none of them will do a true conversion to mono.

But you can use Goldwave to save either channel as a mono file, and that will solve your problem.

Guest Guest
All:

I just downloaded Wavepad and love it.  Before I upgrade I need to know how to load a stereo recording and save it as 2 track mono.

I basically need to edit some songs (and reburn them to CD) that will be played over a MONO public address system.  I basically need both channels info burned into one track's info, yet saved on both stereo tracks of the CD (so it doesn't matter if they plug either left or right channel cords into PA system).

Thanks,

Lou

You need to use Goldwave to make two separate mono sound files, then use the "Mix" function in Goldwave or WavePad to combine the two mono files into a single mono file. The two tracks should sync up perfectly, but you might need to reduce the volume on each track, because when you combine them, the audio may be 50% louder than the two tracks individually. Then when you burn your audio CD, I have found that most CD burning software will be smart enough to make a "mono" CD.