UPLINK not answering SIP -> Skype

Hi,

I've installed Uplink 1.3 (this is the first time I've tried Uplink so not tested previous version)

I install it with Axon as suggested using the 6 dialplan to route calls through to Uplink

I try BOTH using UPLINK's "when sip calls always dial the following number" and set it to ECHO123

and using "When sip calls dial dialled number"

I try to call through skype by dialling 6echo123 in my SIP phone. Uplink shows in it's log that it receives the call but the SIP phone just rings and rings without Uplink picking up.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. When you dial 6echo123 into your SIP phone and press dial, what does Skype do?

If things are operating correctly then Skype should start to make the call. If Skype is not making the call but the Uplink window indicates that it is receiving a call then the connection between Uplink and Skype needs to be reset - shutting down uplink and skype and restarting Uplink should do the trick.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi John,

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem. When you dial 6echo123 into your SIP phone and press dial, what does Skype do?

If things are operating correctly then Skype should start to make the call. If Skype is not making the call but the Uplink window indicates that it is receiving a call then the connection between Uplink and Skype needs to be reset - shutting down uplink and skype and restarting Uplink should do the trick.

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,

The problem is that I dial 6echo123 from the SIP phone, Uplink immediately shows Incoming SIP call in it's display log, and the SIP phone starts ringing.

Thats all that happens, the sip phone keeps ringing as though nobody has answered at the other end, and Skype does absolutely nothing at all. No acknowledgement that Uplink is asking it to do anything.

If you drop the call after waiting for it to pick up after eg. 20 seconds then Uplink immedidately shows that the Incoming SIP call has been dropped.

I have reinstalled Uplink and Skype with the current versions from their webpages, but it makes no difference.

Uplink does successfully start Skype, and has been Allowed full access to Skype's API through the Skype "Do you want to allow this application to use Skype" dialog.

It just appears that Uplink is not asking skype to dial the echo123 contact at all.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

John

Hi John,

The problem you are describing sounds as though the 6echo123 is not getting the 6 stripped from the front. Can you please check your Axon settings in the web control panel and look at the dialling plan you are using. Make sure that you are removing one digit from the front of the dialled number.

If this doesn't work can you please send me the SIP trace from your Axon installation. You can access this by clicking on Axon --> View Logs from the menu. Send me a personal message (PM) and I will give you an address to send the trace to.

You may also care to look through this file yourself. At the start of making a call you should see various INVITES, requests and ACKs from 6echo123@... Once Axon passes the call to Uplink this should change to echo123@... (without the 6 in front).

Cheers,

Ben

Hi John,

The problem you are describing sounds as though the 6echo123 is not getting the 6 stripped from the front. Can you please check your Axon settings in the web control panel and look at the dialling plan you are using. Make sure that you are removing one digit from the front of the dialled number.

If this doesn't work can you please send me the SIP trace from your Axon installation. You can access this by clicking on Axon --> View Logs from the menu. Send me a personal message (PM) and I will give you an address to send the trace to.

You may also care to look through this file yourself. At the start of making a call you should see various INVITES, requests and ACKs from 6echo123@... Once Axon passes the call to Uplink this should change to echo123@... (without the 6 in front).

Cheers,

Ben

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've now identified the problem, which is - If Uplink is allowed to start Skype then although it starts Skype it cannot dial it. If I start Skype and then start Uplink then it works Ok. I've tried this multiple times and verified it to be consistent. So for example after a reboot when Skype starts before Uplink then it will work ok. But quit Uplink ( which then quits Skype), restart Uplink (Which then restarts Skype) and it fails to work - repeatedly.

John

Yes, I am seeing much the same thing with Version 1.30, with slight differences.

The only difference is that if Uplink starts first (and auto-launches Skype), then none of my SIP calls to Uplink get noticed (ie. Incoming SIP call does not show up on display log)

But if I start Skype first, then Uplink, works perfect.

Another method, is to do the following:

Shut down Uplink

Open Skype, and select Tools->Options->Privacy and select "Manage other programs' access to Skype", and remove UPLINK.

Shut down Skype

Then when I restart Uplink, it will "re-attach" itself to Skype, and then my incoming SIP calls work fine.

It is as if Skype is no longer honoring it's attachment to Uplink. Uplink display log though shows that it has successfully attached to Skype.

• 3 months later...
There appears to be something odd happening when upgrading from an old version of Uplink. I will try to integrate a fix for it into the next release. Until then though, the fix mstelephone describes will work.

Ben

Just wanted to point out that im having the exact same problem

im using version 1.30 of your program and the latests skype version 3.0.0.217 (which i actually upgraded because i thought it would fix the problem).

Basically if i let uplink start skype it doesn't work. I have to open skype first then open uplink.

On another note, id like to suggest something.

Its really odd that I have to tell my dial plan to add a + sign or 00 before passing on a # to uplink....

what you could do is program uplink to add it automatically if its missing in the # it was passed via sip. Cause right now its just basically NOT doing anything with the call if its not included, theres no error the call just rings forever and is not passed to skype...

2nd why do i have to enter all my sip account info in uplink? i just want it for sip ---> skype and right now from what i see if i don't enter the info the call isnt sent to skype.

3rd there seems to be a bug where info entered in the setup screen doesn't take effect until i restart uplink.

ie.: i made a mistake in the sip proxy address and uplink kept trying to connect to the wrong address even if i corrected it in the settings. The change didn't take effect until i restarted uplink.

So thats pretty much it, beside that its a very good program and im very glad that you made it.

I downloaded uplink. I have Skype. I have an SIP account. uplink says it's configured to my SIP and registered (attached) with Skype. Now how do I get these 3 programs to work together? I want to make a phone call on my softphone and get it to use SkypeOut (I have the unlimited plan). Isn't this what uplink is supposed to do? Nothing's happening. :(

im using version 1.30 of your program and the latests skype version 3.0.0.217 (which i actually upgraded because i thought it would fix the problem).

Basically if i let uplink start skype it doesn't work. I have to open skype first then open uplink.

On another note, id like to suggest something.

Its really odd that I have to tell my dial plan to add a + sign or 00 before passing on a # to uplink....

what you could do is program uplink to add it automatically if its missing in the # it was passed via sip. Cause right now its just basically NOT doing anything with the call if its not included, theres no error the call just rings forever and is not passed to skype...

2nd why do i have to enter all my sip account info in uplink? i just want it for sip ---> skype and right now from what i see if i don't enter the info the call isnt sent to skype.

3rd there seems to be a bug where info entered in the setup screen doesn't take effect until i restart uplink.

ie.: i made a mistake in the sip proxy address and uplink kept trying to connect to the wrong address even if i corrected it in the settings. The change didn't take effect until i restarted uplink.

So thats pretty much it, beside that its a very good program and im very glad that you made it.

• 2 months later...

I've just purchased uplink - I have the same problem.

I was just wondering if there is a patch/update somewhere - it appears the problem has existed since November last year.

Otherwise Nice piece of software:-)