File's too big!

kgogolewski

I cannot email my audio file to my publisher because it takes over 9 hours to load. I used 11 kHz, 16 bits, with mono, which is the minimum kHz and bits that I can use and still maintain the sound quality I need. How do I compress my file so that it's about 7 MB and will load? The original file, before I did my cutting and pasting, was only 7 MB, but I haven't found a way to save the file after editing and keep it small.

Any advice? Sorry to be such an ignoramus about this.

Kathe G

what audio file format are you talking about?

and what do you mean by "takes over 9 hours to load" ? are you saying when its loaded into WavePad, the loading process takes over 9 hours ?

what is the duration of the file ? (in hours/mins/secs)

Hi, Thanks for responding.

I loaded an MP3 file from an audio conferencing service. It was 7 MB. After I edit the file, I save it, but it doesn't stay an MP3 file, but changes into a Wav file. And the file increases to 128 MB automatically. I tried a 'save as' but had to save it with 16 mHz, 16 bits and mono to get the minimum requirement for sound quality. It still saves as a very big file (70 MB). When I try to attach either one to my email, it loads all day. I had it going 9 hours yesterday before I canceled the action. So my question is - how do I compress the file so that I can send in as an attachment in my email, and still preserve the sound quality?

Thank you.

Kathe

I forgot to add that the file is about one hour long.

Thanks,

K

• 2 weeks later...

When you are saving the file again simply select the "MPEG Layer-3 (*.mp3)" option from the "Save as type:" menu, which is underneath where you specify the file name of the file.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. If I had found an MP3 file in the choices under "save as," I would have used it. There is none in my version, which is a Master's Edition. If it is a wav file, here are my choices in the ":save as" drop down menu:

ACELP.net

CCITT A-law

CCITT U-law

DSP Group Ture Speech

GSM 6.10

IMA ADPCM

Microsoft ADPCM

Microsoft G.723.1

PCM

Windows Media Audio V1

Windows Media Audio V2

And if I am using an MP3 file and click on "save" to keep it as an MP3 file, it saves as a wav file. The last time I checked in with you, I was asked what format I was saving, so I tried saving a test file in every format to learn about it. Now, no matter what file I open, when I listen to it, the file is in slow motion with an echo. I don't know how that happened from saving in different formats. Plus, the files are still huge. I cannot send them to my publisher through email.

I am supposed to create some podcasts for a writers' conference, and I paid good money for your program so I could do it, but I cannot get it to perform the simplest functions. The manual explains none of this. To me, this information should be explained in the manual, unless my program is corrupted. Yes, I know you have a service where I can buy 15 minute phone calls, but what novice with little confidence and a budget would do that? It could easily turn into hundreds of dollars of personal instruction. I call it the "ink model." Buy the printer, and you'll be paying a premium for the ink for as long as you've got it. I emailed someone in your company, plus I used this forum, and it's been a couple weeks since I've heard back from you. I recieved an email informing me that someone in this forum was handling it for me. I sent an email back stating that I had recieved a series of questions, which I had answered but not recieved a response. I can understand this for more advanced problems, but I don't think this is one of them.

Perhaps I am not your target market, though I think you're missing out on a potential huge one. There are many people interested in learning about audio files (i.e. authors and writers), and I know they would love to create podcasts to promote their work. I have the potential to reach thousands of writers and talk about your program, but at this point in time, I will not be recommending it. As soon as I find a good solution, I will write my articles and give my speeches about it. Until then, I remain....

Frustrated in Oceanside

Kathe Gogolewski

hi,

sorry for your troubles, lets see if we can sort it out.

Can I please clarify, when you go to do a File -> Save As for your file, when the save window appears, and you expand the "Save as type" pulldown list, are you saying there is no .mp3 option there?

These are the options I have in my pulldown list (using WavePad Master's Edition):

[in order]

.wav

.mp3

.ogg

.aif / .aiff

.au

.flac

.aac

.m4a

.gsm

.vox

.raw

.rss

.m3u

.pls

.wpl

.amr

Can you please tell me what your list says?

If you are interested in creating podcast content, we added the .rss format in that list just for people like yourself. RSS is the format used for podcasts, it consists of a .rss file and a .mp3 file.

If you save to that format in Wavepad, you will get a window asking you for the Root URL of the server you will upload the podcast to, and also what MP3 settings to use. For the Root URL, specify the URL folder you are uploading to. For example, if you are uploading the file to "http://www.podcasts.com/kathe/" , then specify exactly that as the Root URL.

After you press OK, Wavepad will create a .rss and .mp3 file in your selected destination folder, and all you need to do is upload them to e.g. "http://www.podcasts.com/kathe/" and link to the .rss file somewhere.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I have not found any of the items you lis (.wav, .mp3 etc) in a pull down menu anywhere, and I've click on everything I can find. What I do is this:

I upload my mp3 file to edit. I edit it. Then I choose "save", and it saves as a file that is ten times bigger than the original, though I've cut out part of the hour long file. So I try it again (load original file and edit), and I try a "save as". I get a blank window under "save format as". There is no pull down menu with mp3 on it. So I type in mp3 and click on ok. Then I return to the windows with a "format" (lists ACELP.net and CCITT A-Law etc.) and Attributes. I don't know what to do with those, so I leave them alone and save. The file is still huge (50-72 MB). The original file is an hour long mp3 file and only 7 MB. And the sound quality is good. How do I preserve all that? I can email 7 MB, but 70 will not fly.

And now, after opening all the formats to test them, every file I open is in slow motion. How do I fix that?

I hope I can learn about this. If I can, I myself will include instructions for dummies when I talk about it. :)

Kathe G

That drop down menu (that you took a snapshot of) appears when I make no changes to the file and click on "save as." I just performed the experiment again, and saing an mp3 file to an mp3 file turned it from a 6.33 MB file to a 50.7 MB file. Too big. I can't email it.

Plus, whatever file I load, I hear it in slow motion. How do I fix that? They all sound that way, no matter where I get the file from.

Thanks,

Kathe G

Hi,

I've lost my opportunity to create a podcast for my publisher, but it's not too late for a writers' conference, so I'm still chasing this.

How do I create a small file and keep the sound integrity of the original mp3s (which are small files - aroudn &MB). Also, recently, while trying to learn your system, I saved a test file in every format, and since that excercise, every file I open is heard in slow motion. How do I fix it? It's not the reason my files are so big because they were saving as huge files before this happened.

Is it possible to uninstall the program and get a new one from you? I fear this one is glitched.

Call me stupid; I don't care...but PLEASE help me.

KG

I have the following receipts:

On Apriul 7, 2006, I paid 46.00 for WavPad Software (WavPad Masters Edition). On April 10, 2006, I paid 47.37 for NCH SwiftSound (which is Switch Sound Format Converter). The only thing I have on my computer says "WavPad Masters Edition."

I think my program may be buggy. I so need to make this work in order to keep a committment. I am ready to recommend the program if I can get it to work. Please respond. I only need to perform some basics.

Thank you.

KG

• 2 weeks later...

when you go to do a file -> "save as", check the file name of the file (in the "File Name" field) and make sure that you add a ".mp3" file extension in that name.

for example, set the filename as "file.mp3" and then hit the save button.

from post #7, you said "So I type in mp3 and click on ok. Then I return to the windows with a "format" (lists ACELP.net and CCITT A-Law etc.) and Attributes."

that indicates saving to wave and not mp3, the mp3 settings window is completely different to that one.

when you go to do a file -> "save as", check the file name of the file (in the "File Name" field) and make sure that you add a ".mp3" file extension in that name.

for example, set the filename as "file.mp3" and then hit the save button.

from post #7, you said "So I type in mp3 and click on ok. Then I return to the windows with a "format" (lists ACELP.net and CCITT A-Law etc.) and Attributes."

that indicates saving to wave and not mp3, the mp3 settings window is completely different to that one.

Kathe says:

true. It does save to wave file even though I specify an MP3 file. It's one of the reasons I think it's glitchy.

The good news? I've learned how to turn off the slow motion feature. All my files were loading with it, though I never clicked on the "Play Slow Speed" under control. I must have inadvertently hit a Function key.