Component missing alert not right

raulzito

I installed the flip4mac plugin, just like the alert taught me, but I keep getting the "Component Missing - go to Microsoft page bla bla bla to install flip4mac" alert.

Then, I have to click to Microsofts webpage, wait for Switch to change to "Confirm Install" alert, press OK, to start converting the WMA to MP3.

Which works fine by the way

How can I make Switch recognize my installed components?

I installed the flip4mac plugin, just like the alert taught me, but I keep getting the "Component Missing - go to Microsoft page bla bla bla to install flip4mac" alert.

Then, I have to click to Microsofts webpage, wait for Switch to change to "Confirm Install" alert, press OK, to start converting the WMA to MP3.

Which works fine by the way

How can I make Switch recognize my installed components?

WMA to MP3

Yes, same problem. It does annoy me though:). Otherwise a very nice little app. Hope you have a patch soon.

Question: Why is the Flip4Mac component required for Switch given that the plug-in is meant for Quicktime apps (Final Cut Pro 4.5 and higher, Final Cut Express HD, iMovie 3.0.3 and higher, Discreet Cleaner 6.0.1, Sorenson Squeeze 4.1 and higher, Compressor 2 and Safari)?

The Flip4Mac component is automatically installed in Quicktime and Safari, not in Switch. If it is, the Flip4Mac documentation doesn't list Switch as being supported.

How does Switch use Flip4Mac to convert .wma files? Is Switch not a stand alone app?

My main concern is to have Switch work properly and recognize the installed Flip4Mac component without the "Component Missing" error message repeatedly appearing, although I would appreciate answers to my questions just out of curiousity.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

my (limited) understanding (as the windows developer) was that flip4mac worked independently of the software products that used it. what it does is it extends quicktime to support wma, and since Switch uses quicktime for decoding then Switch immediately gets the wma support too.

we think we've identified what is causing the component install problem anyway, and we are currently testing mac switch in preparation for a new release.

• 2 weeks later...
my (limited) understanding (as the windows developer) was that flip4mac worked independently of the software products that used it. what it does is it extends quicktime to support wma, and since Switch uses quicktime for decoding then Switch immediately gets the wma support too.

we think we've identified what is causing the component install problem anyway, and we are currently testing mac switch in preparation for a new release.

I'm having the same problem, can you notify us when the new version is available? Thanks for the great app!!

I'm told the fix is done, and a new Mac Switch is up on the net right now. Can everyone please try it and see if its fixed your problems.

I just updated switch and no longer get the error but instead I get the Cannot open file .... check if it exists and you have persmissions error. The file exists and I have permission to read and write, any ideas?

• 1 month later...
I'm told the fix is done, and a new Mac Switch is up on the net right now. Can everyone please try it and see if its fixed your problems.

Just downloaded the new swtich and it works . . . No more annoying prompt :)

Thanks for making a great program even better!!