Shadow on Exported footage

DIYMan

Hi all.

I am using VP version 8.63

I have a FX clip that is causing a shadow on the exported footage that is not there on the preview. The shadow is on a portion of the screen that close to but not within the area of the FX clip. The shadow slowly extends from the bottom of the area containing the FX clip and darkens a rectangle below it.

I produced the FX clip with a polygon mask, key frames and a transparency setting. The polygon mask does not move over the shadow area.

.Below are three files, one with the steps track which contains the FX clip and the shadow, one without the steps track which contains the FX clip and the shadow and the backed up VP file.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Footage with no steps FX and no shadow ..................................https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wvF3XO3r4ljwAzJGlNr0Sb1jYQ6ZWmkR?usp=sharing

Footage with steps FX and shadow..............................................https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RLzKW9GoMiACBUWWPbQFbCtPnbZMNVfc?usp=sharing

Backed up VP files..........................................................................https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18Di77nL1UA4C-dW2LkoBuVZNFwWa80Co?usp=sharing

Regards Dave

The FLYING CLIP track has been hidden and slight adjustments made to other tracks for a more fluid landing.  There are repeat frames in the original.

A 97% transparency has been added to the LANDING track.  This seemed to subdue the shadow.  IMO, the resulting grass texture isn't distracting.

The keying issue that you spotted in recent version should be fixed in the next release.

Good work!

Hi @borateThanks for that. Yes it works better without the flying clip. I think I over complicated the edit in wanting a little bit of movement in myself whilst flying, not just a still key frame until I landed, not realising I already had the movement in the landing clip.

Did you notice that the ground shock wave effect is in a different position in the exported footage to that in the preview? Lets hope the new version sorts this out.

Do you think the shadow is also part of the same bug?

How does applying a transparency to the landing track subdue the shadow?

Again thank you for your help.

Regards Dave

The only track with the shadow area was the Landing track, so applying a bit of transparency seemed to help.  Can't say that this is a bug.

No, didn't note a variation in the shockwave, but wasn't looking. ^_^   But on comparison, they look the same - preview on left / 1080 export on right.

comparison.jpg

Export resolution makes the placement difference. 768x576 will produce the result you are seeing, with black top/bottom bands.

1024x576 and 1920x1080 (the Auto Match suggestion) both place the shockwave precisely at the same spot as in preview, as shown above.

You posted your screenshot link correctly.  NCH disabled the ability for users to post images directly due to unpleasant 'incidents.'

Indeed.

Simple NLEs may be a little less frustrating, but don't offer VP's versatility for the creative home user.
High-end editors are targeted to a different market.  While amazing in their capabilities, full utilization can exact a steep learning curve and a hefty subscription price.

• borate changed the title to Shadow on Exported footage