4:3 format always renders as 16:9

SuzC

I have formatted my video as 4:3, however, no matter what format/size I render it in, it comes out as 16:9. Why??? I need it formatted as 4:3. Surely, if it looks like 4:3 in the Sequence Preview, that's how it should end up when rendered!!!

What version of VP is being used? 

If a source 16x9 image is letterboxed to 4x3, unless zoomed in it will have black bars top and bottom, so may appear to be 16x9.  Here's an example. 

Clipboard01.jpg  Or, depending upon settings and monitor resolution, export may be pillarboxed - black on all sides.

During export, the CROP AND ZOOM button will avoid black bars.  That may be already selected by the program.

The MATCH MONITOR setting (under the sequence preview window) gives a good approximation of how the export will look at your monitor's resolution.  MATCH CONTENT looks at the source file.  Click the chevron at the right to select 4x3 and many other settings. 

During export, choose a 4x3 resolution for export (or TV NTSC in the Preset field).

Share the project.  Or save it and then split out a segment that demonstrates your issue.  Someone will check it out.  Don't upload the export, just the project folder, as instructed here...

1. With your project on the timeline, click the 3-lined menu, top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, locate the saved folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click SHARE. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link."  Then click on COPY LINK.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• borate changed the title to 4:3 format always renders as 16:9