Border

Me, Myself and I

I'm working on a project that involves picture of different scales and videos.  The letterbox aspect ratio works with the pictures and looks great. When I add the video and border effect it is off, so I add the letterbox aspect ratio.  It makes it a little larger than the pictures.  I have tried different ratios and they remain off from the pictures.  I would prefer to not crop the video and then try to letterbox the aspect ratio, if that can be done.  Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks.

May not be understanding quite what you describe.

Here, added the BORDER effect to a small portrait still and it looked fine.  Border can be sized by dragging the lines in the preview window while the effect screen is still open.

Or just use the sliders.  No LETTERBOX was required in this example.   image.png

In a second test, loaded a random image and letterboxed it to the desired aspect ratio, then added a border.  That worked fine as well, superimposed over a background.

Thanks, I do understand that tool. The issue in my video I have several stills with border (letterboxed aspect,) next I add a video. I would like the video to have a border (which I can give it) but for the border and video to fill the frame exactly as the pictures do. So it is a seamless transition.  I've tried different aspect ratios, letterboxing the video, but it remains off a bit from the pictures.

So, you have a previously bordered still ... and you want to transition it to a video with a similarly sized border?

After sizing the border on the video have you tried using the SCALE effect and its positioning sliders to line it up with the stills?

Submit a short project file if necessary and someone here will have a look.  Don't upload the export, just the saved back-up project file, as described here...

1. With your completed project on the timeline, click the 3-lined 'hamburger' menu, top-left.  Click FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Specify a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, locate the saved folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click SHARE. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link."  Then click on COPY LINK.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.