Exported video not the same as VP preview

DIYMan

Hi People

I have masked an image of myself and isolated it using effect outside mask and transparency set to 0. I then applied a clear mask effect and then a scale effect setting the scale functions, vertical and horizontal at 0 keeping the tick in the "keep aspect ratio" box and applied a key frame. I then moved the cursor to the end of the clip and set the scale factors to 1 and again applied a key frame. The scale factors did not automatically change so I had to remove the keep scale factors tick and set both vertical and horizontal factors manually then re-ticking the "keep aspect ratio"box.

All other settings in the scale FX where left at 0

In the FX preview and the main preview windows the scaling works perfectly with the scaled polygon following my outline as it scaled up  from 0 to 1.

I then exported the project and the scaling did not work correctly. In the exported version the vertical size increased with the horizontal size staying correct.

Has anyone come across this problem before and overcome it.

The VP file and exported footage are here in Google Drive.

VP Portable file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ECiu_M-KBtCm0fQsLo-yoTgjOQNWpdPc/view?usp=sharing

Exported as Video file. TV Pal 768x576 MP4 25fps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YFZeP2hcGMSPHeyoBTLGuDdA65KkiO7g/view?usp=sharing

Exported as Video File. TV PAL Custom resolution 1920x1080 in version 6.71 MP4 25fps

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZDRbijL9-AQogJOzYsfrkfzigeE5tjPS?usp=sharing

Exported as Video File. TV PAL crop and zoom MP4 25fps

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vzQolmAE2mhr4_9yQeMQm0ZXUyuY_xTx?usp=sharing

Regards Dave

PS

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner but I was away from home.

OK The video was produced using versions 8.45 & 8.67. I am now on version 8.71 and have tried exporting the video but I still have the same problem.

I have changed the permissions in Google drive to allow anyone with the link to view the files.

I have also played around with the export settings, using crop and zoom which completely messed up the positioning of other FX tracks and adjusting the resolution to 10920 x 1080 which is the resolution of my camera. This sorted out the positioning of the polygon mask but then produced a different problem of not playing all of the tracks.

I also tried exporting as a portable video file but this did not change the outcome.

Regards Dave

I have altered the permissions and added extra clips and included the info on versions by editing the original post.

Need the project folder, not simply the VPJ control file, so folks can see what you see and run export tests.  Follow these steps...

1.  With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, locate the saved folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link. If using Google Drive click SHARE. Click the blue "Change to anyone with the link."  Then click on COPY LINK.
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

The cause was that a Sequence 2 MOV file was being used for the static man shot.  One way to remedy the issue...

Open effects for the shot and Save as effect chain template.  image.png  Give it a name.

Now overlay the main shoot clip that was from the Portal to ground sequence with the attached still image. Then hide the track just below that has the original.

Apply the effect that you saved;  it will be listed at the bottom of the effects window, under the default icons.

For a short while, here's a demo revised project - not meant to be perfect.  Download and double-click the VPJ file to load it into VP.

Export should be clean.

Snapshot - 3.png

Hi @borateI tried your solution but could not get it to work. I don't fully understand your advice. In your first line you say "Open effects for the shot and Save as effect chain template."   When you say "shot" do you mean the single snapshot I took and replicated to make the sequence? If I am only working with a single snapshot which is in effect a single frame how do I make it long enough to show the movement from sky to ground. I applied you advice to the clip that I call from portal to ground and as I say nothing changed.

Also by the time I came home from work the demo you supplied had disappeared.

Regards Dave 

In the Main Shoot sequence, open EFFECTS for the Portal to ground clip and click the icon for Save as effect chain template, as described above.  This saves all the effects that were applied to that clip.  The new icon will appear at the bottom of the effects window, with the name that you gave it.

Next, right-click and SAVE the still jpg in the prior post.  The image default save duration is three-seconds.  Image handles can be dragged to any length - no need to replicate.

In the Main Shoot sequence, overlay the still at the same starting point as the original clip (that referenced the Portal to ground sequence) and drag its right handle to the same end point..

Open EFFECTS for this new image, scroll down and apply the effect chain that you saved.

Lastly, in the area to the left of the original Portal to ground track, right-click and DELETE TRACK.

Thank you @borate Works perfectly now. If you passed the post to others for their input please thank them for me.

I think I now know the mistake I made, although I do not understand the underlying concepts within VP that caused the problem. The clips in the "Portal to Ground" sequence are not snapshots but replications of a split clip which I could not drag to the length I wanted it. That is why I replicated it.

Regards Dave

• borate changed the title to Exported video not the same as VP preview