Unwanted change of video format 16:9

Insects

Hi

Can't see why that should happen as If the original preview played OK then the vpj file should reconstruct your project just as it was. What format were the photos? 

If they were 16:9 vertical images then you could add a Letterbox effect to each setting the AR to 16:9. This makes them the same as the video clips. Export the project as a 16:9 video. See if that works.

Nat

After opening the VPJ, the original preview did NOT play OK, it was shortened on both sides, although the source video (film) was 16:9. The photos which I used at the beginning and at the end are 16:9 and appear OK (to resume, the project contains a few photos without or with text, a film, and again one or two photos).

Exporting as AVI didn't solve the problem.

As Nat noted, a reload of a VPJ file will restore a project just as it was when saved.

Yet it's conceivable that the viewing mode changed.  MATCH CONTENT does what it says.  MATCH MONITOR displays content at your monitor's resolution.            Adding an aspect Letterbox effect can sometimes remedy these mixed-res issues.

Please share your project for analysis.  It's easy, quick and can be private.  Someone here will take a look and come up with an answer. Upload just the project folder.  Follow these steps...

1. With your completed project on the timeline, click the 3-lined 'hamburger' menu, top-left.  Click FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Specify a folder.  Click SELECT FOLDER.
2.  Using the PC file manager, locate the saved folder and upload it to a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  (Don't upload the export or just the VPJ file.)
3.  Get a shared, public link and, if given a choice, check "ANYone can view."
4.  Paste that link here, or click the folder, above top-right in this forum, and message it to me.  This is private and won't be shared.
*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks to both of you for the trouble replying.

What is MATCH CONTENT and MONITOR ? Can't find these options.

Although well described by Borate, I would prefer not to start with such a procedure, which is a bit difficult for me (aged and tired).

One idea came last night : the film 16:9 which I used in the sequence was a bit too wide around the main subject, so I had used the zoom facility to enhance the subject (keeping the 16:9 ratio). Could it be the reason ? I might also erase the film (1'30") and paste it again, wouldn't it be faster ??

Needs to be in sequence mode to see the 'match' choices...  image.png

Please submit a short segment of your project where the issue is shown. Save first, of course, then delete all but that segment and follow the instructions above to upload and share.

Hi

Zooming a clip and keeping it 16:9 AR or zooming into a clip that is not 16:9 will ensure that it will fill the 16:9 frame of the editor. If the original clip was 16:9 then it will just ....zoom in :) and retain the same shape.  

If you zoom in to a say..a 4:3 AR clip and set the effect to 16:9, the result will fill the screen. e.g....

On the left of the timeline is a 4:3 clip with an identical clip to the right of it. The second clip has been zoomed to 16:9 and is now full frame and enlarged The clip preview is of the original clip and the Sequence preview shows the 16:9 clip.

aa.jpg

Using zoom in this way will ensure that all  the clips have the same 16:9 AR. Of course some of the image will be lost but the effect control will allow you to move the 16:9 rectangle around the frame so you can select the best area.

I can't think of a reason yet why you have your problem.  In short if all your clips/images are 16:9 (and preview correctly) and you export using one of the 16:9 formats then it should all be OK.

Although it may seem logical that you are losing some of the image when using zoom or crop etc., that doesn't make it any smaller volume-wise. The clip remains the same and is not made "faster"

Nat

Good evening,

I went the hard way, suppressed my film of 1'30" duration, introduced it again from scratch, formatted it (magnified) using the zoom feature (which allows a static zoom),

and everything went OK.

I don't want to investigate about what happened, it would be a waste of time for you, nice people, and myself.

Many thanks and so long ...