Video not exporting / Project won't save or export (not a VP fault)

NehaC

Hi all, 

I'm trying to export a video of 1min 20 secs however it does not work. I have combined a few video files and added text and one audio file. When I export it, it doesn't export anything which seems odd. In the video pad software I can view the full video with text and music.

I'd greatly appreciate some help.

What Videopad version is being used?  What are your export settings?

Please download and install this version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If the problem persists come back here.

Suddenly, my registered copy of VideoPad will not export an .mp4 (or anything else)!  What the hell is going on?  I refreshed my registration, rebooted the PC, but still not working.  Did I buy a piece of trash program?  Version 8.65 is what I have installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Borate,

I have been editing video sequences and exporting them successfully today. I started a new project but am not able to save the project ("File not found") or export the sequence ("The specified folder cannot be written to"). I have no idea what the problem is, especially when all was working well earlier today. Any suggestions?

BTW  - I am using Licensed VideoPad Professional v8.74. Complete re-boot and establishing the sequence again from scratch does not help.... (still trying to fix the export problem above)

Peter (Australia)

That's what I was hoping .... this working > not working > working > not working is driving me insane. Is there a likely link between the inability to save the project and inability to export it? Neither working at the moment ...... PJ

One of the strangest.  Just to confirm...

When you Save Project File AS, by clicking the chevron to the right of the Home menu | SAVE icon on the toolbar, is this what you see?

Save AS.jpg

All that's needed is to click SAVE and the VPJ file will be saved in the path shown - in this case that's DOWNLOADS.

Something on your PC seems to be thwarting your efforts.  To see if there is disc corruption, from the elevated (administrative) Command Prompt, type this, then <enter>...

chkdsk C:\  /f

Answer YES to the prompt and restart the PC.

In Videopad click OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  Close VP.  Restart it, then load the project.  Any success?

And a newer version for you to try.   Your info has been passed on.

Yep, that's the template I see: Click SAVE and I get path-name then "File not found. Check the filename and try again". When I attempt Export a sequence I get "Failed: The specified folder cannot be written to: Sequence 1.mp4 (1920x1080 @ 45.00 FPS)".

In regards to hardware checks: I had an hour session with Microsoft Technical Support today who remotely accessed my Microsoft Surface (new in January 2020 and the same machine used for full period of ownership of VideoPad). They concluded that there are no hardware issues and that it is a VideoPad Software issue.

Yes, I have downloaded the latest version of VideoPad (v.8.77) and the same issues are occurring.

I sincerely hope my paid technical support to NCH Software will sort this out soon (I have lost almost 2 days of work).

PJ

Is this what you are doing...

For the SAVE, click on a convenient folder in the Windows Explorer (file manager) box.  That name must appear at the top - as DOWNLOADS does above.

In export you need to supply a valid folder, such as the D:\VP Test here...

image.png

Click the blue link in the Save to Folder field and Windows Explorer pops up.  Click on a folder.  It's name will appear where D:\VP test does here.  Click on SAVE at the bottom-right.

When this is resolved, please report details here.

Hi Borat,

Yep, followed those steps. No Go. Have a look at this shared link in my Google Drive to see what I do:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gzMV_XzNuDpkt0xHLpoQ-NU9xNbeYWbp/view?usp=sharing

There are 2 problems, a) Saving the project; b) Exporting the video

Both demonstrated in the shared link.

Hear from you soon,

Peter

1) Change path to simple destination: NOT working.

2) Fully uninstalled VideoPad with the tool suggested then re-installed VideoPad 8.77 (we did this back in August too - it worked then). But NOT working this time.

Do you want remote control of my computer to see for yourself?

PJ

Visit a friend and test on their PC, if possible.

From the top-left Menu, click FILE | BACKUP PROJECT TO A FOLDER and put the resulting numbered folder on a USB drive.

Install VP on the other PC.  Then open the USB folder that was saved and double-click the VPJ file, to load the project.

Have you (or MS) run chkdsk C:\  /f, as instructed above?

Let us know.  This is very unusual.

Hi Borate,

chkdsk did not find any errors as far as I can tell, the Microsoft Technician  did some tests both remotely and via me but it came back somewhat inconclusive. The only clear outcome was that the two problems (saving the project and exporting the sequence) remained in error after all tests. VideoPad remains unusable after two long sessions with MS Support Technicians, unusable after numerous correspondence with NCH Software (including payment of a technical support premium). Time wasted at this end now goes beyond hours into days. I also missed a task deadline associated with my employer. Colleagues with that employer (University of Technology Sydney) are also interested in the outcome of all this, because any trialing of video editing software feeds back into consideration of software purchases at the institutional level. As a semi-retired casual employee, I am carrying all the costs (both time and cash) with this current issue.

At this stage Microsoft is considering replacement of my quite new Microsoft Surface Laptop 3, possibly with a Surface 4. Any upgrade of hardware will require me (personally, not UTS) to pay the difference. But I will probably go with that option if MS agrees to it.

I think this wicked problem is the fault of no one, as far as I can tell everyone is trying to help. I just wish the problem could be resolved soon, and permanently. I do need to clarify with you (NCH Software) that a transfer of my current VideoPad license registration (4883525-uvullbrt) from the old hardware to proposed new hardware has your support?

Regards, 

Peter J   (Australia)

Hi Borate,

1) Yep, downloaded suggested alternative software (VideoPad v7.51) and had the same 2 problems using my current Surface 3 Model 1873 (Serial# 040309593657).

2) Downloaded VP to another computer in my household: The software works fine (Saves Project AND Exports Sequences).

Surely this confirms a hardware issue?

I re-uploaded that demo I previously sent you (Thurs 3rd Sept) in case NCH developers need to view the problem. Here is the new link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aq096oY1tDEZU3g7mXWS-ooqeG51TaUy/view?usp=sharing

I am going to send our correspondence string to Microsoft so they have the link to the demo showing the problem and can also see that NCH has made a fair attempt at resolving the issue.

PJ

Good sleuthing, through your frustration.  Thanks for reporting.

Possibly a software issue.  File system?  But you did chkdsk.  You might run Windows Memory Diagnostic.  Type that term into the left-bottom search area.

MS will likely suggest reinstalling Windows - a typical cure-all.   Or you can upgrade to 2004 if not already in residence.  Please clue us in when the fix is found.

• borate changed the title to Video not exporting / Project won't save or export (not a VP fault)