Device and Encoder Settings for Video Capture

CanticleP

I am new to video editing and would greatly appreciate it if someone could advise me regarding "Device Settings", "Encoder Settings" and "Property" Settings for video capture please.  I am using a video capture device with the red, yellow and white RCA plugs (plus S Video) with a USB connector for the PC.  My PC is 3.6Ghz, 16 GB of RAM, Windows 10.

I have the latest version of Videopad and plenty of spare disk space.  I would like to capture video from the following devices: Sony Digital Camera/Recorder (Mini DV Cassette tapes); Sony Handycam Camera/Recorder Hi8; and a standard VHS player.

In the "Record"-> "Record Video" under the "Devices" window I have selected "USB 2861 Device" (there is no other choice);  "Line (Master AV Cap)" - I assume this is my capture card - the only other choice is a mic I have connected; and "640x480 [4:3] 29.97fps" which is top of the list and therefore I assume it is the default.

Under the "Device Settings" -> "Properties" ->"Video Decoder" tab the only change I have made is to select "PAL_B" instead of "NTSC-M" which is what it was when I first opened Videopad.  I have NOT checked the "VCR Input" box.  I have not made any changes to the default settings under the "Video Proc Amp" or "Video Image" tabs.

As I am using the "640x480 [4:3] 29.97fps" setting (default???) should I check the "Video Input" box in the "Video Decoder" tab when I use the VHS player AND the cameras or should it only be checked when using the VHS player? Or should I not check it at all? 

Also, in the "Video Image" tab should I change "Pic Size" from "Default" to "640x480" to match it to the  "640x480 [4:3] 29.97fps" setting?  On burning my first effort to DVD (burnt at 4:3) which I took from video captured on my Sony Digital Camera/Recorder (Mini DV Cassette tape) reproduction was reasonably good but there were times with fast moving subjects when their image momentarily "ghosted".

When the recording was taken (some 20 years ago) the camera was set to "Very Fine Picture Quality" in order to capture fast moving people and objects.  For capturing the images I had Videopad set to "640x480 [4:3] 29.97fps" and "PAL_B" - no other changes were made to the default settings.

Is anyone able to suggest how I might obtain the best quality capture and DVD reproduction through my cameras and VCR please?  Thank you.