Using uplink with a sip device without Axon

I am still trying to figure out the nature of uplink. Sometimes I think it is a specialized SIP server that SIP clients like Express Talk and others can register with and then make calls. The presence of the Axon PBX confuses me. I recently bought a ZyXel P2000W WiFI SIP phone, hoping that I could get it to register either with Uplink or with Axon virtual PBX. When I try to register it as an extension, the Axon does not announce in its log window that the registration has occured. I was hoping I could bypass the Axon altogether and just register the phone with Uplink. Anyone got any ideas?

Well, it's just a SIP client and virtual sound driver. As if your soundcard had a RJ-45 port  through which it would send SIP controlled audio data.

Thank you for this reply. I have figured this out...partially anyway. First I had to find a VoIP provider that would actually acknowledge registration of the phone. Just because the phone says it is registered doesn't mean it is. The proof is to place a call to that phone. If it rings, it is registered. I signed up for two accounts at Callcentric.com. I registered one account with uplink and I registered the phone to the other account. In uplink I set the "number to dial when Skype calls" to the number the phone is registered to. It works. When a call comes in on Skype, uplink dials the phone number registered to the phone. What I haven't been able to do is to get the phone and uplink to successfully dial out on Skype. What a shame I can't get the phone to register with the Axon PBX as an extension. I know I could dial out on Skype if I could do that.

John