Color adjustments

valuenyc

My main problem is that I have very minimal experience with adjusting color in photos or anywhere else. So as I work with visual effects in VideoPad, I'm keeping notes diligently. My problem is with those effects where I cannot write down a number; the Color Curves effect is only represented by a curve. I've just nudged the blue curve a tiny bit, and it's just perfect. I saved as a template for sure.

But  I'd like to understand what I'm looking:

(1) Is there some numeric quantity that my curve represents? some math expression? How does one describe this in words? (Image1 here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0abuwerosbpxyfm/AADFCxnvQE80sPQ4fnOs3L8Ga?dl=0)? What are all four corners of this grid called?

(2) At first I just had the curve as in Image1. When I applied my template later, I had what look like bar graphs with the curve (the other two images). So I thought that was the amount of blue over time? or some reading of the amount of blue at the beginning of the clip? The graph doesn't look like the curve to me, but this is not my forte.

(3) Anyway, no, when I go back to the same effects icon on the same clip--a SECOND later--sometimes I've only got the curve again, no graph. Why does this DISPLAY change and change again? Honest. I couldn't make this up 😉

The Help file is not too helpful here: "Remaps each color in the image or video from the original color to one defined by the color curve." Clearly, I do not understand what this says in plain English, because I cannot guess why a curve as opposed to a simple number? I'm missing something significant.

And while I'm here, can anyone recommend some reading on this subject? (Hue, saturation, temperature, gamma... what am I parotting?) I did some googling but still don't feel I've got a handle on this, but I hope to ask intelligent questions going forward.

Many thanks for any enlightenment while I continue trying to learn what I can the hard way 🙂

Jeanne

It appears you have discovered that a curve can be saved as a template and restored via an icon in the Effects menu.

There's no mathematical equivalent available AFAIK.  The histogram-type lines, of questionable utility, do come and go.  That's likely a bug.

VP basic color correction tools are adequate for the typical user whose work is not slated for theatrical or broadcast release.

This should provide insight on a sophisticated level.  The learning curve and pricing for these capabilities can be steep.