How to offset audio clip without moving next/previous?

Duginov

I have a Zoom recording where in different parts video/audio of different people singing is slightly out of sync (by 0.1-0.3 sec)

Making single adjustment is not possible - delays are different. I split recording into multiple sub-clips hoping to adjust voice/video for each clip, but when I'm trying to move unlinked audio, next clips are moving too. And frankly it is very difficult to move audio for 0.1-0.3 seconds using mouse. So 2 questions:

How to prevent next clips from shifting?
Is it possible to shift audio track without mouse? 

When you state "next clips are moving too" do you mean contiguous clips on the same track?  Or on another track?  If the latter, lock that track by right-clicking in the space at the left and LOCK TRACK.

Don't believe clips can be positioned without using the mouse.  But dragging may be made more precise by expanding the timeline, using the slider at the bottom-right of the window.

image.png

1 hour ago, borate said:

When you state "next clips are moving too" do you mean contiguous clips on the same track?  Or on another track?  If the latter, lock that track by right-clicking in the space at the left and LOCK TRACK.

Don't believe clips can be positioned without using the mouse.  But dragging may be made more precise by expanding the timeline, using the slider at the bottom-right of the window.

Contiguous clips on the same track
When I make current audio clip 0.2 seconds shorter, next clips on the same audio track shift 0.2 seconds
When I try to shift that audio clip 0.2 seconds right then VP creates 0.2 sec "hole" before the clip, above the clip (in video track)  and after the clip (in audio track)

-0-0-

I guess it really comes to the more specific question

If I have three clips in a sequence:

10 seconds | 10 seconds | 10 seconds

How can I make middle clip few seconds shorter - without the whole sequence length becoming less than 30 seconds:

10 seconds | 2 seconds gap | 8 seconds | 10 seconds
or
10 seconds | 8 seconds | 2 seconds gap | 10 seconds

Drag the left handle of the center clip to the right.  If this doesn't leave a gap, hold down <alt> while dragging.  This should not disturb unlinked video tracks.

After the gap appears, the audio clip can be dragged left, leaving a gap to its right.  Then the right handle of that clip can be dragged left to shorten, if desired.

Hi

"....How can I make middle clip few seconds shorter - without the whole sequence length becoming less than 30 seconds:...."

Alternative..

1. Place clips on the timeline
  2. Use >II to move cursor line to the join concerned  (1-2      or   2-3)
  3. Note the time value under the sequence preview screen
  4. Subtract (or add) the duration of the gap required to the value shown (even 1/10 second should work)
  5. Change the value shown in the box and  Enter. The cursor line will jump this amount
  6. Click the top of the red cursor line and select the  Split icon
  7. Zoom in close to show the join line and the split line and delete the segment between them. This will leave the gap required without the clips closing up.

Nat

Thanks everyone, that was helpful. The other part of my problem was that if there was (an unnoticed)  transition between two clips, an attempt to shorten/shift one of them result in erratic and dramatic movements of surrounding ones. As soon as I noticed that was the case, I was able to do what I wanted.