Exporting and aspect ratios

Olivia2020

Once the video has been exported, I can't skip to different parts of the video, I have no choice but to watch it all each time. I also have an issue with Landscape photos, which appear much smaller than the portrait ones. When I exported a different format, it makes the landscape photos bigger but crops them to fit with the larger portrait size/shape. Any help much appreciated!

What version of Videopad is being used?  What is the export format and settings?  In what application are you viewing the exported project?

Answer those questions and share your project.  Someone here will quickly find the solution.  Sharing is easy, quick and can be private.  Don't upload the export, just the PORTABLE project folder, as explained step-by-step here...   http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If your work contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.

Hi

"......Once the video has been exported, I can't skip to different parts of the video, I have no choice but to watch it all each time....."

If you export the project as a Video file to your PC  (even if you have added bookmarks then that is correct.

If,  on the other hand you export your project as DVD Movie Disc then the bookmarks can set to be interpreted as chapters by the disc player. This will happen if you use the burner associated with VP in which you set the bookmarks as you create the project or the NCH standalone burner Express Burn in which you can set chapters at selected points before you burn the disc.

The usual AR for landscape format is 16:9 (1:1.777)  e.g. 1280 x 720 or 1920 x 1080. All clips with this AR will fill the frame. The same will happen if a clip is Zoomed to a 16:9 AR. or scaled above 1. These options are usually used when the original clip is NOT 16:9 or an an area within the frame needs to be enlarged.

Scaled to a value below 1 (even if the AR is kept 16:9 ) will result in a smaller image that is not full frame.Cropping will have the same effect unless you 16:9 zoom as well.  Exporting at a different format (AR) to your constituent clips  can also result in black borders or unexpected size changes. Always try to export with the same parameters as your clips.

Nat

Olivia & Nat wrote: 

Once the video has been exported, I can't skip to different parts of the video, I have no choice but to watch it all each time....."

If you export the project as a Video file to your PC  (even if you have added bookmarks then that is correct.)

Experience here has been that VP video exports can SEEK in most players, though increments may not be precise - formats vary - and sometimes seek isn't available.

Hi B

After checking all the tabs, I note that there is a "Jump forward/backward" menu option in VLC player (not amongst the normal Play controls though) I'm not sure whether that jumps to bookmarks but I'll check it out. It doesn't seem to do anything with a straight video file , even move to a random point so I'll set a video up and see. I have to say that I have always set chapters per se in longer videos exported as DVD discs so I must assume you are right.

Nat