Online album database inaccessible

Bjeppson

And here is their response to the ticket I've opened with support team. So I'm waiting :)

Thanks for contacting NCH support. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Express Rip mainly uses FreeDB as the server for retrieving album/track information, based on the FreeDB website (http://www.freedb.org) the service has been shut down as of March 31, 2020. However, NCH Software is working on an alternative for this. Rest assured we are doing our best to sort this out as soon as possible.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/24/2020 at 10:26 AM, adorobis said:

And here is their response to the ticket I've opened with support team. So I'm waiting :)

Thanks for posting this. I am hoping they resolve the issue soon. I really love the software.

I bought the software 2 hours ago and discovered i couldn't get track info on the first cd i ripped.  I am feeling totally ripped off, especially now I find this problem has been going on for a while. NCH should post a message on the web site to warn people about the issue so they can make an informed decision about the purchase. Not Happy Jan!

Same problem....have loads of CDs to archive and was great whilst using the free demo version, the minute I paid for the product it stopped providing the CD info.   If not fixed very soon, I'll be looking for a refund as not fit for purpose!

KJ

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed and upgraded to paid version and still not getting info from the database (on CDs that return accurate results if I query them using MusicBrainz Picard). 

Never mind... not sure why, but now appears to be working fine, though I didn't do anything differently.

Edited by JimF06851
Problem resolved itself

Glad they found another database, but it's pretty limited. Just tried ripping two jazz CDs, and there was no information available from the database. One was by Dexter Gordon, not exactly an obscure name in jazz... So, still unsatisfactory performance by this software.

OK, another update. Trying to rip the new 3-disk set of Workingman's Dead by the Grateful Dead. The database correctly identified the tracks on the remastered original disk, but when I put the first live disk in, it came back with the tracks for... Workingman's Dead again. The database sucks.

Edited by John Capitanio

• 1 month later...

Okay, I finally got it to work for a "Doors" CD.

However, for my 2 CD's by "Strawbs", I still get "no entry found on the online database". I guess they are not the most famous band in the world but I would think that a half decent database would have entries for them. After all, they're not THAT obscure. Places like Discogs and All Music have plenty of info. on this band.

• 1 month later...

10/15/2020  Purchased this yesterday.  Have been using it for a week or so, database worked fine until a few hours ago.

Wish had seen all this BS before I shelled out 30 bucks.   I could have saved my money and used a free program like EAC... but this seemed easier and it grabbed the info quickly.  Now I have to run MP3tag with the discog site for reference just in case...   and it is a pain.

Come to think of it, this all happened when a popup came up while I was working.... it was so fast that I accidentally clicked to install it... it was the burning software:

Express Burn disc burning software...    Which is probably when it stopped working!!!

"X No Entry found on the online album database."

Uninstalled the burner and restarted the app on a different disk and it seems to be working now.

Hit and miss.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

FreeDB was taken down June 2020 but I understand that gnudb.org is just as good. Don't understand why the latest version of Express Rip, v4.02, misses so many albums. It works for common CDs but FreeDB was awesome in its coverage and gnudb looks as good. After hours of frustration with EAC, Express Rip would otherwise be a really good piece of software if it could pick up more titles.

• 3 months later...

I just purchased ExpressRip Pro and it would be great if it loaded the info for more than about half the CDs I've tried to rip. If the test period was longer I would have found that out in advance. 

Could NCH to add other data options such as Gracenote?

I'm tempted to ask for a refund but I'm willing to keep the software and wait for a better option if that's possible in the future.

• 3 months later...