Problems with using with Word

I have been using Express Scribe for years, but got a new laptop yesterday, and now, even though I have checked the box for 'float above other windows'', which it does, sort of, the controls don't work once I click onto the Word document to type.  The Express box is 'unhighlighted', if that makes sense, greyed out. 

• 1 year later...

I am also having this problem since getting a new laptop, and nothing I've tried is working. I cannot get express scribe to run in the background at all. I've scoured the internet, the user manual, forums, nothing is fixing this. Please can someone help?

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, Laurence1805 said:
Hello everyone, I have the same problem and the support did not give me a satisfactory answer... Has anyone been able to solve the problem? Thank you for your help !!!! I'm tearing my hair out :-D :-D

Hi! What is the exact issue? 

Hi gsp-runner,
when Express Scribe is in the background (when I'm in Word), I can't do play, pause, etc.
I have to switch to the Express Scribe window for that.
It's only been doing this since buying a new PC. 
On the old everything works and I don't see the difference between the options of one or the other...

on the other hand, it works perfectly with the pedal... but I prefer to order Express Scribe on the keyboard, I'm bored

I'm using Google Translate because I don't speak English... hope it's clear :-D
Thank you for your help

On 7/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, Laurence1805 said:

Hi gsp-runner,
when Express Scribe is in the background (when I'm in Word), I can't do play, pause, etc.
I have to switch to the Express Scribe window for that.
It's only been doing this since buying a new PC. 
On the old everything works and I don't see the difference between the options of one or the other...

on the other hand, it works perfectly with the pedal... but I prefer to order Express Scribe on the keyboard, I'm bored

I'm using Google Translate because I don't speak English... hope it's clear :-D
Thank you for your help

You can try to enable Express Scribe mini while working on MS Word. Click on View then select "Float Above Other Windows" and "Show Express Scribe Mini Control" - you can also use the shortcut key CTRL+M.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently had it occur where ES worked by itself but not in Word. After fruitless searching for a remedy, I found that first opening/running Word as administrator and then opening/running ES as administrator did the trick. 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:53 AM, Anake said:

I have recently had it occur where ES worked by itself but not in Word. After fruitless searching for a remedy, I found that first opening/running Word as administrator and then opening/running ES as administrator did the trick. 

appreciate the info on this. We'd recommend sending a support ticket for anyone else having the problem still.