Converting and burning

todd

Trying to put all of this software together and I still can't get things to work.

I capture video through NCH Debut.

I then import that video (which is usually an mp4 file) into video editor.  I make the changes I need to make and save it.

I then export it to create and ISO file so that I can create a DVD.

Then I import that ISO file into Express Burn to create a DVD.

It writes to the DVD (by looking at it) but when I put it into my player, nothinghappens.  And I have 2 different players to try it on.  It just sits there.

I'm am obviously missing a step along the way but I can't figure out what it is I need to do to get that DVD to actually play.

Anyone out there that could point me in the right direction?  I would be so grateful  so that I can cut down on my stress of trying to get this to work.

Thank you

Todd

Is one of those DVD players set to Auto Play in Windows?  Open Control Panel | Auto Play and configure it.

You can also simply open the player, click its FILE menu and Open DVD (or similar, depending upon the player)

In VP, a DVD Movie was created here and 'burned' to ISO.  When the ISO file was double-clicked in Windows 10 it created a virtual drive letter.  Then MPC-BE player was pointed to that drive and successfully opened the DVD.

In Windows 10 right-clicking on the ISO should offer to burn the disk.  If instead you need Express Burn for more extensive features, check into that forum.

A test write from VP directly toa  DVD Movie also did the job.

Auto play is checked in my computer for ALL MEDIA.  I burn the ISO file to a DVD.  But when inserted into my DVD player near my television, nothing will play.  There is nothing that comes up to click to start the dvd so I assumed that it would auto play in my DVD player.

O burned th ISO file to DVD with Express Burn.

I can get the files to play in my computer, just not from the DVD.

Thank you

For PC Auto Play the specific DVD app needs to be configured.  Click the chevron;  it should be in the drop-down list.  Or open the app and then open the DVD, as suggested earlier.

image.png

For your stand-alone DVD/TV player it may be necessary to switch to the Video, External media or DVD source.  Every set up is different.

Once that is done on the Samsung here the DVD menu pops up on screen.  Hit play, and it happens.

Stop by the Express forum.

I don't want to play it on my pc.  I want to play it on my standalone dvd player attached to my TV.  So you are saying to  switch to the Video/External media?

AT what point does the above box show up when burning?

Am I correct that I need to have the file as an ISO file first before trying to burn?

Todd wrote:  I don't want to play it on my pc.  I want to play it on my standalone dvd player attached to my TV.  So you are saying to switch to the Video/External media?

You need to make sure that the TV is seeing the DVD player.  Sometimes that requires changing the input.  If you can play ANY DVDs on the TV then you already have it configured.

At what point does the above box show up when burning?

That box shows the Windows AutoPlay setting (via Control Panel) for DVDs - in this example telling it to launch MPC-BE when a DVD is inserted.  This has nothing to do with burning.

Am I correct that I need to have the file as an ISO file first before trying to burn?

No.  It's not necessary to create an ISO.

An ISO is a DVD image file.  Using appropriate software, it can be used to burn a DVD Movie disk

Videopad can burn directly to a DVD.  Choose EXPORT | DVD Movie, not DVD Data,  In the Burner field, select the drive letter for the DVD recorder.

image.png

Hi todd

Burning a DVD with VP

• Open your generated mp4 in VP and edit it.
  • Click the Export Video tab on the toolbar and select DVD Movie Disc.
  • Enter a Name and select the Burner. as Borate indicates above. The default might show Image File. but click the down arrow and select your DVD writer.
  • Choose Format and AR
  • Click Create. This open another setup window.
  • Check the Verify Burn box.
  • If you have added bookmarks to your video during editing you can choose to use these as chapters in the finished article by checking the appropriate box.
  • If you want a menu on your DVD then click the Add Menu button
  • Set up a menu (if required) by choosing the template ; titles, background images etc. 
  • Click Save Menu. This returns to the main setup screen....(The Burn option may be greyed out if there is not a disc in the drive.)
  • Open the DVD writer and insert a DVD. (I prefer to use an RW disc as you can check things are working OK beforehand) This now activates the Burn tab
  • Click Burn
  • VP asks if it is OK to overwrite existing data on the RW disc.  Click Overwrite
  • Disc is checked, erased and your video is then burned and the drive opened.
  • Close drive for Verifying the burn
  • Burn copy discs if required.

The completed disc should  play OK in your DVD player. (Always does here... :))

If you export your project first as (let's say an mp4 or avi etc) you can use the more dedicated  NCH Express Burn to create your DVD instead of using the burning options  built into VP (which in general, are perfectly adequate) .

Nat

Nat

Thanks for the detailed information.

So I have followed the format to the letter.  It was a VPR file from videopad and did the burn through videopad and still no luck.  I made sure it was pointed to the DVD writer, made sure I had NTSC checked, made sure autoplay was checked marked in Control Panel, verified it burned correctly and still...it's not working.  I can see that it has written to the disc. I have 2 stand alone DVD players and it doesn't work on either of them.(All other DVD's I have work on both)

I place the disk in the DVD player/writer attached to my computer , and it does noting. I go to file explorer and click on the DVD drive and the only files are the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files.  Nothing to click on to even start the DVD. Which I shouldn't have to do if autoplay is checked in control panel anyway.

I just can't see where I'm missing a step anywhere, at least from the above info.

I use to use this years ago, but stopped for a while. Now I'm back into it and can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

Any clue?

Thank you 

Todd

A "VPR" file?  If you mean Videopad's VPJ instruction file, those are not playable.  With your project on the timeline, click the EXPORT | DVD MOVIE item.

That will burn your project to the disk or make an ISO.

The VIDEO_TS folder contains VOB files.  Those are the ones that are playable if clicked, but that shouldn't be necessary.  It appears that the writer did the job.

Make an ISO with Videopad.  Upload it to a free server.  Get a shareable link and post it here.  Someone will check it out.

If the server balks at saving the ISO, try zipping it first, then upload the zip file.

Hi

Well, you seem to have done everything correctly. The DVD should contain the following as Borate mentions..

aa.jpg

The AUDIO_TS folder is always empty . The VIDEO_TS folder should contain something like this when a simple DVD is made in VP with a menu...

bb.jpg

This should auto run in your player....It does on the PC with  VLC player. If you double click  the VOB file it should play OK directly in VLC. The DVD prepared as described above plays OK on the player attached to my TV. So not sure where things are going wrong.

Nat

When I go to the drive with the DVD inserted, I do have those files listed under the VIDEO_TS. 

However, when I click on either  of the VOB files, it takes me right to  Prizm.

It's not autoplaying the DVD but it doesn't show the menu on the screen either.I don't care about autoplay a much as the player reading the disk as I ran it with a menu

There is just something I think I'm missing in the burning process.

The fact that clicking on a VOB takes you to the Prism converter says that it's the default association for that file type.  This is different than AutoPlay.

In Windows 10 go to the Action Center image.png and in the ALL SETTIINGS search box type "default."  Then click on "Choose a default for each file type."

Scroll to VOB and associate it with your media player.  Here that player is MPC-BE.   image.png

Nat uses VLC, so that would be the association on his PC.  Don't use Windows Media Player.

Upload and share an ISO and someone here will see if works correctly.

I was told above that I didn't need to create an ISO file in order to burn to my disk.?  

Do you want me to send a vieopad file?  Those are the files I can't get onto disk.

If so, I'm not sure how to attach the file in this forum?

I keep trying different files....ISO. Videopad files (That convert automatically when asking for a DVD movie), mp4's, everything.  And I just cant get it to my disk to play in my stand alones.

THANK YOU

Todd

That's correct.  An ISO is an image of a DVD, for viewing on the PC or for later burning.  No need to create it if you want to burn directly to the DVD.

The VOB extension should not be associated with PRISM - unless you want that converter to pop up each time a VOB file is clicked.  Associate it with your media player, as above.

Use a Videopad project to export as an ISO.  Share it here.  Someone will confirm if it works correctly.  Just upload the ISO to a free server, get a shareable link and post that link to the forum.  Nothing need be attached.

So yesterday I was playing around and actually was able to create a DVD.  I then went back to try again and can't recreate.

When I had my project in Video pad, I did an edit and saved it.  But I saved it as a MOV file.  As soon as I did that, a burn window popped up and I completed the burn.

Would this make sense?  I ask because now I can' re-create it.  (OMG...I'm losing my hair)

No, that doesn't make sense.  A burn window should appear only after the project is on the timeline and the EXPORT | DVD (Movie) is clicked.  File format makes no difference.

image.png   ---------->  image.png

As mentioned earlier, if you have created an ISO file it can be right-clicked from your PC's file manager (Explorer) and BURNed with the Windows burner, not Videopad.