Exported video and sequence preview different

colinp

I have made a short training video using a smartphone screen recorder which I have then edited in VideoPad.  A section of frames with a mask appears differently in my exported video compared to my project sequence preview.  What am I doing wrong?  I am using VideoPad Professional 8.35.  What more information should I provide here?

Shared link: Pictures

Your 'Pictures' link cannot be accessed until you get a shareable link and make it public.

What are your export settings?

Share the project and someone will help you work this out quickly.  It's easy, doesn't take long and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to get a shareable link to post.

4 hours ago, borate said:

Whatever is on the timeline is what SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS should see.  Be sure that the full project is loaded.

I made the png file blank white intentionally, I am using it with a mask to hide some unnecessary details that are on white backgrounds in two parts of the project.  The two files you are missing on your PC are in the shared cloud folder.  I can load the portable project without error.  When I export a video from the portable project it has the same problem as reported originally.  In the exported video the problem is visible at 6:45 and 7:05.  Are you able to obtain the missing files from the cloud folder?

Okay on the blank file.  Now the files are all there;  perhaps my mistake earlier.

On the two white 'cover' page insertions on track 2...

Click the FX icon on each.  Click the large green + sign.  Scroll down to Aspect Ratio Transforms and click LETTERBOX TO ASPECT RATIO.

Click the chevron to the right of the words "Aspect Ratio" and choose 9:16.

That takes care of it.

Hi

Alternatively...

For each of the white png images that you are using to cover up areas of the image beneath..

• Remove all the effects you have on them (Transparency and Polygon mask) and simply crop the blank image with no AR restraint.

You can adjust top bottom and sides to show the area you require. Monitor the result in Sequence Preview.

Nat

On 5/29/2020 at 7:41 PM, borate said:

On the two white 'cover' page insertions on track 2...

Click the FX icon on each.  Click the large green + sign.  Scroll down to Aspect Ratio Transforms and click LETTERBOX TO ASPECT RATIO.

Click the chevron to the right of the words "Aspect Ratio" and choose 9:16.

Brilliant!  Thank you so much 🙂  I am a beginner with VideoPad and I have a lot to learn.

9 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Alternatively...

For each of the white png images that you are using to cover up areas of the image beneath..

• Remove all the effects you have on them (Transparency and Polygon mask) and simply crop the blank image with no AR restraint.

You can adjust top bottom and sides to show the area you require. Monitor the result in Sequence Preview.

Nat

Thanks Nat.  Originally I tried to find a way to do this, and struggled.  I'll take another look at this at some point.  Do I have to switch "with no AR restraint" on, or is it that way by default, before borate's steps?

Hi

With the Crop effect set to No Restraint, the crop area sides are independent and you can adjust the rectangle any way you want to cover the area desired.

Setting the AR to one in the  list does just that..any adjustment of the rectangle always keeps the AR you have set (From the smallest to the largest.) Setting 9:16 may have worked also

In Borate's solution it would seem that setting the Transform effect to 9:16 reduces the png image to an AR that fits OK over the underlying image without the need to Crop. Just different ways of achieving the same result.

Nat

I adjusted the crop effect to make the rectangle cover exactly the area I want to hide.  In preview it looked OK, except that the rectangle had a thin but visible darker border around it.  I didn't try to hide the border, instead I exported the video.  But then I found that in the exported video the rectangle (with border) had expanded well outside the mobile screen area (like in my original Pictures).  In other words, for whatever reason, in this project it appears that the sequence preview is not WYSIWYG with respect to the exported video.  Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?  Borate's solution does work, I wanted to figure out the crop method as well.

The overlay PNG isn't the same A/R as other content.  Having consistent A/R makes things easier.

You may see a slight horizontal crop outline.  It can be minimized by trimming vertical parameters slightly with the chevrons to the right of the sliders.  Horizontal crop may be trimmed as well, if the PNG doesn't overlay precisely.

Go with what the SEQUENCE window shows.  Export should be the same.

Hi colinp

I just revisited your project regarding the WYSIWYG problem.  If you want to cover up an area the simplest solution is to use a cropped blank and not a snapshot and mask.

Here is what to do..... It will take just a few moments (apart from the export :))

• Replace your two png images on the timeline with a white  blank clip  
  • To do this, place the new clips on the track above the existing png and adjust them to the same length and then delete the old png.
  • Add a Crop effect to the new clip and adjust to cover the area required while monitoring the Sequence Preview screen. (I normally use dual displays set up in Options)
  • Export the project as a 1920 x 1080 .mp4 . The result should now be OK. (It was here)  I used a yellow blank so you can see the result better.
  • Here is the preview image... Yellow blank in the clip bin and cropped in the preview screens....
  • aa.jpg

Here is a frame from the exported .mp4 project viewed in VLC.....

bb.jpg

As this is cropped and not a mask there shouldn't be an edge anomaly.

Regards

Nat

• borate changed the title to Exported video and sequence preview different