No sound with MP4, no video with MPG

islander58

What version of VP is being used?  Under OPTIONS | DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files.  If that doesn't help.

Try the latest version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

If still wacko, please share the project, if it's not over a few GB in size.  Someone will check it out and come up with a fix.  This is easy, takes little time and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Clear the cache prior to loading your project.

You can test drive the latest, unregistered, at any time.  Just be sure to back up your project file, and retain your old installer and license info.

Share, and we'll check out the project.

Clearing cache didn't work. :(

I'm wondering if it has something to do with how I created the project.  I used a video made with Snagit (screen capture software), then unlinked the audio from it, and used a different audio file.  It works perfectly within VP, then breaks when exported to MP4 and MPG.  It does work with MOV, though.  

I did this same procedure with another project a couple weeks ago it worked fine with MP4, which is what confuses me.

In the meantime, I'll try the upgrade, and if all else fails I'll share the project to see if anyone can figure it out. :)

I had version 8.35 and suffered exactly the same video but no audio on export problem. It also came from nowhere.

To be clear, without any intervention from me VideoPad was fine but suddenly stopped exporting with audio.

I upgraded to 8.39 to no effect

I then found a forum link from 2018 suggesting the culprit was a component not VideoPad

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/25910-mp4-with-no-audio/?tab=comments#comment-64943

specifically a reply by C-Major on 18 May 2018

We've found the problem. The problem is not in VideoPad. It's a shared component that we updated few days ago. It happens to users installed VideoPad in these few days.

We've already fixed the component on the server. To fix this please delete the malfunctioning component from your local disk. VideoPad will download it again from the server when you export.

The component can be in one of these file path: 

• C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components\aacenc3\aacenc3.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components\aacenc3\aacenc3.exe

Deleting aacenc3.exe does result in another copy being downloaded but there is still no audio on export.

The project was simply knitting three files (two without audio, one with) together with transition , text and a photo.

To eliminate other causes I loaded the single core file (video/audio) and exported it. The exported file had no audio

Help and advice, please

Close VP, then delete every file in C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components\

Then reinstall.  Upload the file, or better yet, the project.  Someone will check it out.  This is easy, quick and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Both your completed project and a VP export at default Mp4 settings here are solid.  No loss of either audio or video when played in MPC-BE or Windows Media Player.

Into what player are you loading this file?  Try another.

Are your audio drivers up to date?  Right-click on START, click on Device Manager.  Expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers item.

Right-click the audio device (often Realtek) and Update Driver.

Ran an MPG export and it also turned out fine.  So did a YouTube direct upload.

Try reinstalling VLC and check if Windows Media Player gives better results.  Right-click the file, OPEN WITH | WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.