Add narration track while monitoring original audio track 1

St Bosse

I am trying to add a new audio track (narration) to an existing video with a bad sound track. Is there a way of monitoring the original audio track on headphones so that I can here where to add the new narration. ie. Audio track 1 is the original sound track.(voice volume is way to low and music is quality was mic recorded).  Audio track 2 is actual music  and audio track 3 is the new narration. The aim here is to redo the audio with the new music and narration properly balanced to replace the original audio.

anybody?

St B

Thanks for responding. I need to monitor track 1 for sync purposes, but I don't want it recorded on the new track, only the narration. I will at the end get rid of the original track 1. ie new track 2 (music) and track 3 (narration) must replace track 1. Is this possible?

St B 

Narration alone is recorded to a separate track, and those files are in the bin as well as being placed on a new sequence track.

You can juggle narration cuts, move them to another track, get rid of the original track 1, add music to track 2, etc.  So, yes, it's certainly possible.

Thanks borate,

Got it to work! Very nice!  Just one last question on the subject, How does one link the new sound track/s to the rest of the sequence. Every time I add a new header at start, every thing shifts up except the new sound track. Also, when I add crossfade on the video where the clips move forward for slight overlap, the new soundtrack stays put!

St B