My Video Pad Issues Solutions Progress and Use

FlyingNando SV

This thread will be about my Video use, issues and Progress as the tittle says

this was not the start of it, however, though might be useful to others if they can follow my issues and how hopefully they have been solved or not. As the developers also operate on here, that maybe they can use this to either get a heads of issues to come or get confirmations of issues being reported 

started off by posting on someone eases thread with a rant as i was very frustrated, as can be expected after many hours of work and things falling apart

this can be followed from the link

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/30392-leaving-videopad/

from within the link, i was given a link to a beta version

however by the time i downloaded the Beta version, i had already downgraded the footage to 2.7k fro 4k, and did not have a chance to test it properly

Was busy with a project before we went away sailing, that is still not finalized, however have now started working on the sailing footage as that fits in a lot more with our plans for our sailing youtube channel, then the unfinished project

one of the pieces of advice that i was given was that to have multiple smaller projects instead of the one huge gigantic projects

as our sailing videos are going to be big(250Gig of footage - just under 11hrs to edit), started down this road, and have already picked up issue with the Beta version that i had downloaded as can be traced back to the link posted above

started doing video clip for video clip, cutting out useful footage and exporting to a working folder, so that i work with video clip by video clip, keeping the project as small as possible for as long as possible, eventually it will need to become BIG

last night whilst doing as above, the one video clip would only play up to a point, then the footage would stop playing whilst the sound would keep playing

steps taken to remedy the situation

- deleted the video clip, and re imported the video clip

- closed the project without saving, and opened a new project

- cleared the cache and restarted a new project

- restarted laptop

- started a new project

none of the above helped 

eventually, remembered that one of the tech support guys had also sent me a link to an updated version, so went looking for that email, found the link, and downloaded that version

think it was similar link to what had been given to me on the forum, just not in Beta, and then the issue was gone

concerns:

all versions seem to work fine when downloaded, and then it looks like they slowly start to deteriorate till they become unusable 

- is there a conflict in the video pad software that corrupts the files over time/use

or

- are the windows updates corrupting the Video pad software

- is it something else that i am doing

- am i the only one having these issue 

my laptop is used only for editing, uploading to youtube and a other related functions, as i have other devices for day to day needs 

other software on my laptop - GIMP and Inkscape . both used to make Logos and thumbnails for the uploaded videos  

all help would be highly appreciated 

VP engineers are regularly apprised of issues, and quickly deal with those that are serious.

Clearing Unused Cache Files prior to beginning a new production and perhaps prior to export isn't a bad idea. Performance deterioration over time hasn't been reported routinely, AFAIK.  That said, there can be slowdowns when dealing with 4K material or very large files.  In general, for best efficiency...

Allow the sequence to fully cache (completed greens lines above thumbnails).  If operation seems sluggish, consider employing PROXY editing.  This approach is not exclusive to VP.

There is no specified track number limitation.  50 have been seen in a project tested here.  Yet, good practice and memory management suggests that they be kept to a reasonable level.  At clean cut points where there is no content overlap, overlay new clips on lower tracks that already have content instead of adding a new track.

Memory may be insufficient for some 4K projects, and export may fail or be partial.  Output at 2K or HD resolution and the result should be good.  Try the AVI container instead of the default Mp4.

" That said, there can be slowdowns when dealing with 4K material or very large files.  In general, for best efficiency..."

if 4k was the issue then it should of done it with all the other similar activities as all i have been doing so far with the 11 hrs of footage is selecting short clips from 5min:26 sec folders that the DJi Osmo Pocket creates, and exporting the short video clips onto a working folder on my desktop

"Allow the sequence to fully cache (completed greens lines above thumbnails)."

yep, do that

"There is no specified track number limitation.  50 have been seen in a project tested here.  Yet, good practice and memory management suggests that they be kept to a reasonable level.  At clean cut points where there is no content overlap, overlay new clips on lower tracks that already have content instead of adding a new track."

think the most i have ever used has been 7 tracks. and actually add footage right next to the previous clip on the track, to avoid all this tall list of tracks and scrolling up and down. only reason why i went as high as 7 was when i added water marks, titles, rotating "subscribe" symbols

will post link to a video where that can be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWLia13hKU&t=131s

"Memory may be insufficient for some 4K projects, and export may fail or be partial.  Output at 2K or HD resolution and the result should be good.  Try the AVI container instead of the default Mp4."

16gig of memory, and SSD hard drive - bought a gaming laptop for the editing

looking forward to VP changing to where the Graphics card will get more use then currently

will have a look at the AVI format going forward

am kind of dumb with sort of things, however what is the advantage of using either AVI or MP4

😀  

What is the advantage of using either AVI or MP4?

Mp4 and AVI are containers for various codecs, some of which may perform better with certain projects.  As an example, using their respective H264 encoders, a project here would not export as Mp4, but succeeded as AVI.

If 4k was the issue then it should of done it with all the other similar activities as all i have been doing.

How you describe handling the clips doesn't seem to be an issue.  The 4K reference was an observation that very large files can bog down any editor.

On 3/28/2020 at 1:55 PM, borate said:

Mp4 and AVI are containers for various codecs, some of which may perform better with certain projects.  As an example, using their respective H264 encoders, a project here would not export as Mp4, but succeeded as AVI.

How you describe handling the clips doesn't seem to be an issue.  The 4K reference was an observation that very large files can bog down any editor.

thanx for the reply

sorry for the slow reply

will try out the AVI as i go along

what i have been doing due to the huge amount of footage that i have is, I take a video for video (Osmo Pocket Videos are 3.8Gig - file size and 5min 26 long) and i cut out and export every usable video clip individually, that i might use down the road, even if i dont use all the video clips, that will be besides the point

when i create the main video, will then import video for video as needed, although it will still be a huge project - so i think

will try to remember to post the links to my projects on here for comments and advice 

Right Back Into the BS

and DON'T tell me to use dropbox or one drive, as the files that are used to make the video are way too big for drop Box and Onedrive or whatever other free storage systems

in .AVI it only exports a few seconds

In MP4, it exports the whole Sound track with Extremely Choppy Video, where it only shows maybe half a dozen frames of a 40 second and a 50 a 51 secondsound track

have tried 4k, and 4k youtube, and the results are similar

this is supposed to be a tailor to another video that i am working on, that is almost finished and now am stuck with the same old BS

this is getting a bit too much

Help Urgently Needed

13 minutes ago, borate said:

Export at 2K and see how that fares.

thank you very much for the quick response

it did export in 2k

however there was a lot of effort in filming everything in 4k

will give more details in the next post in a few min

am also about to upload the video onto youtube, then you guys can see what i am up to

all the logos, overlays and and and

not sure if this will help

drone is 4k 25fps

camera is 4k 60fps

could this be the source of the conflict 

youtube now displays a 4k symbol when footage is uploaded in 4k, and personalty think that that will be good for the videos in future as internet speeds improve around the world

this is why i am chasing the 4k 

The devs are always tweaking performance.  Nothing official, but a large 4K project may be butting up against VP memory limitations - it's a 32-bit app (for now).

There are convolutions that have succeeded here, but they aren't worth the hassle IMO.  2K generally does well and looks sharp.

Can't say whether the differing frame rates have an impact.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

Your link responds "oops, something went wrong."   Don't forget to share it publicly.

6 hours ago, borate said:

The devs are always tweaking performance.  Nothing official, but a large 4K project may be butting up against VP memory limitations - it's a 32-bit app (for now).

There are convolutions that have succeeded here, but they aren't worth the hassle IMO.  2K generally does well and looks sharp.

Can't say whether the differing frame rates have an impact.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in...

Your link responds "oops, something went wrong."   Don't forget to share it publicly.

maybe the link wasent ready from youtube side yet, have had that often, just after the video has been published

project details

4 video Files from Mavic pro 1 - Stored on an external HD 4Gig Toshiba - Brand New ( had same issues when using the older 2Gig HD also Toshiba (full and Packed Away) 

DJI_0278  MP4 File (.MP4)  3,80 GB (4 089 677 287 bytes)  3840 X 2160  25fps  Data rate 60028kbps Total bitrate 60028kbps

DJI_0279                                 2,93 GB (3 150 093 436 bytes)                                       Data rate 60032kbps  Total bitrate 60032kbps

DJI_0280                                 3,80 GB (4 090 939 994 bytes)                                        Data rate 60047kbps  Total bitrate 60047kbps     

DJI_0281                                 406 MB (426 715 013 bytes)                                          Data rate 59886kbps  Total bitrate 59886kbps

Videos Files from DJI Osmo Pocket - Stored as above in the same Folder

DJI_0665  MP4 File (.MP4)  3,80 GB (4 090 271 682 bytes)  3840 X 2160  59.94fps  Data rate 99870kbps  Total bitrate 100059kbps

DJI_0666  MP4 File (.MP4)   3,80 GB (4 090 180 604 bytes)                                            Data rate 99867kbps  Total bitrate 100057kbps

DJI_0667  MP4 File (.MP4)  3,80 GB (4 090 312 727 bytes)                                            Data rate 99870kbps  Total bitrate 100060kbps

DJI_0668  MP4 File (.MP4)  3,80 GB (4 090 137 811 bytes)                                            Data rate 99866  Total bitrate 100055kbps         

DJI_0669  MP4 File (.MP4)  3,80 GB (4 090 199 450 bytes)                                            Data rate 99867kbps  Total bitrate 100057kbps

Videos from Canon SX60 - stored as above in the same folder as it was one event

MVI_5094  MP4 File (.MP4)  511 MB (536 784 005 bytes)  1920 X 1080  59.94fps  Data rate 34772kbps  Total bitrate 34899kbps

MVI_5095                                 503 MB (528 247 868 bytes)                                             Data rate 34499kbps  Total bitrate 34626kbps

Logos and Animations that i have created over time, stored on the Laptops SSD, in a folder called water marks that has various small animations and logos 

its a roating Facebook logo, witha voice over asking people to join our FB group

Favebook  MP4 File (.mp4)  3,26 MB (3 424 257 bytes)  3840 X 2160  60,00fps      Data rate 4416kbps  Total bitrate 4557kbps

this rating logo was created using VP already on this laptop

LogoRotateNew                     9,55 MB (10 022 394 bytes)  2304 X 2304  22,89fps  Data rate 26719kbps  Total bitrate 2672kbps

this logo was created using, think already on this laptop

Untitled 1  MP4 File (.mp4)  28,1 KB (28 852 bytes)  1280 X 548  10.26fps  Data rate 71kbps Total bitrate 73kbps

have used music from youtube free music

have 8 Sequence open, some with Projects from the same footage, some used as scratch pads to cut out only pieces of what ever i need 

need to resolve this issue, as the other current projects on the same projects are very important in me achieving our goals for our channel and us, and i will be working on those projects today and the full project of catching the drone is almost done

could take a video of the time line and post it on one of my other channels, if that will help, am willing to upload the project somewhere where it wont cost me money to store the project

it is very important that the 4k export works properly

it appears that once multi tracks starts being used and becomes busy that, that is when the issue start

before this have been extracting small videos from the original videos and storing them in a working folder, and that went ok, with one hitch that i picked up when exporting, and on that exported video, there was a distorted second or so. re exported and it was fine the second time. think it was a combination of two small pieces into what was still a very short video clip with no effects added 

looking forward to getting this issue resolved 

To be frank, strictly IMO, unless you settle for 2K export you're in for a losing battle.  But if you're hell-bent on 4K, try this.  No guarantee.

Whatever your film's length the same thinking applies,  During the edit, do not include global effects such as a watermark that runs throughout.

SAVE the completed edit

First try an export by deleting all unused sequences, clearing cache, then creating a blank Sequence 2 by clicking the + sign to the right of Sequence 1.

Click the Sequences tab above the bin and drop Sequence One into the blank Sequence 2.  Add global effects, then export.  Worth a quick test.

This is now a single, composited clip.  Effects/transitions, overlays, audio tracks won't show up on the sequence but they're there.

If this fails, split the project.  Using a 5-minute effort as an example...

Start by removing all sequences except the one used for the final project, and clear unused cache files. 

1.  Split out the first minute of the project (plus a few seconds overlap) and delete the rest.
2.  Click the + sign to the right of the Sequence 1 tab to create a new blank sequence.
3.  Drag Sequence 1 into Sequence 2.
4.  Export Sequence 2.

Repeatedly press <ctrl-Z>  (EDIT | UNDO) until only Sequence 1 is again shown IN FULL on the timeline.  If you go back too far, click <ctrl-Y> (EDIT | REDO)

Split out the second minute plus a few seconds overlap at each end, and delete all other content.  Repeat the steps above for each remaining  segment.

When all have been exported, restart VP, Clear the Unused Cache Files and import all parts in order.  Clean up the edit points, eliminating overlaps.

Add global effects, such as a watermark.

Export at 4K.  You can try lossless but it likely won't work if a global overlay has been added.  Considering that all the fancy stuff is now composited and won't require processing, this may succeed. It has here.

thank you for the reply and effort

will give it a try

however, have another and new issue

am assuming that the above link to the catching of the drone has been viewed. that was just a tease

have gone back to the main project, and where i have two videos on the one screen

eg top Left, have a video that has the effect 'Scale' 70% (Video Track 2) and on the bottom right have a video that is effect Scale 40% (Video Track 1)

if i hide the one Video track then the video that dosent displays, now displays without the other one, and vice versa, however they dont display together

yesterday morning when i finished the video discussed above with the link, this part of the project(main video) played fine, displaying both Videos in their respective scales on the screen

left everything on, and had saved the project on the Save Project Disk Symbol 

did not work on anything yesterday, needed a break from not sleeping properly over the last few nights

this morning sit down and start seeing how things look, so that i can finish up, and now it wont display both video on the screen when i play

have shut down the project, and restarted it, thought maybe the hard drive had gone to sleep, however nothing

need help with this

quick update

the one video clip on track two, moved it to tack 3 and now they both display with their correct scales and the correct overlap, and the other clips with a similar situation now all display also

the short clip that i have moved to track 3, if i move it back to track2, the only the one video clip shows, and all the other ones dont display

this sounds crazy, however it is happening

am willing to do a video call on whatsapp or something else similar with the developers or someone else who is working on VP to show the issues - this is how someone has been helping me with the editing advice 

again am willing to upload the project to somewhere as long as i dont have to pay for storage, for the developers to work through it  - have an uncapped connection

just tried to export the Video, yes in 4k, with no water marks, or rotating symbols or rotating logos 

and straight away there is an issue , it exported less then 1 second of the beginning of the video

this is no good

BIG issue, is that i am out of my comfort zone, and has taken huge efforts to learn VP up to this point. so to now go learn something else will set me back almost 3 years

yep, that is when i 1st started using VP and started learning how everything works on VP, and started attempting and learning how to edit

this is hugely disappointing and frustrating - a very very sad day in our journey into making videos

how far is the 64bit VP - maybe that will help

🥵 🥵😪😪😥😥

called a friend who knows lots about video and video compression and that sort of things

it is now exporting - very slow, reminds me of working with the old laptop and VP version 5(had no issues)

will update

Am assuming that the above link to the catching of the drone has been viewed...

No, your link still responds with "Ooops, something went wrong."

Without seeing the project, or the portion that has the overlay problem you describe, it's tough to say what is going on.  Upload and share an example if possible.

Higher tracks override lower tracks, as you know.  If a 70% scaled clip is on a lower track and a 40% scaled clip is on the next higher track, the 40 will overlay the 70 - picture in picture - as in the example below where track 1 is a color background, 2 is wildlife and 3 is the pooch.

The recommendations for 4K export mentioned earlier may succeed.  They have here.  But 2K output will give less grief and look sharp on YouTube and most any PC.  Again, IMO, you may be bumping the current limits of VP memory with long, 4K material.  AFAIK, there's no timeline, but a 64-bit version is on the burner.

Snapshot - 2.png

here is the link again

https://youtu.be/KnPJkf7hXx0

very similar to your pic, just that there is no background color, it stays as black/blank

have moved onto the full project

think there are a few posts in-between, where i phoned a friend

it is currently exporting ( the full project) without any water marks or animations with lots and lots of split screens 

the way that i ma doing it now, takes very very very long, however looks like its working

will update when done if it works

the very high quality did not work out, as the 4k image inside another one did not play in some places

have dropped the quality to one lower, however still in 4k, and it is again exporting

have switched to H265

one of these must work along the line

yep, could not get it to work

yep VP cant do $k

this is a very sad day indeed

If you haven't yet tried the two suggested methods outlined earlier perhaps you should.   Again, 2K export tends to work well and look great.

File a suggestion or bug.  Click the chevron at the top-right of the VP window for the drop-down menu.  The devs do read the comments.

If ever you get sufficient server space to upload your portable project folder or a portion thereof we'll be interested in testing.    Best of luck!

thanx for the offer to help

currently the project has overlays, of video over video, witch i used effects to do, however no water marks yet or any of those rotating logos yet

was trying to do as suggested that i export the video and add the logos and water marks and all other decorations onto an exported video later 

will need to be guided how to do this

will i be guided here or via PM

thank you