It takes so darn long to edit videos

ClevelandCam

First off, let me start by saying I love the simplicity of VideoPad. However, I am starting to get agitated by how long it takes to buffer and edit videos. I am trying to put a 5 minute clip together on my computer and it takes over an hour because working in the sequence every time I move to a different spot it takes a minute or more to buffer. I have 400mps internet, an i9 processor, 32 GB RAM. It can't be my setup. 

Is there a way to speed this process up? I get that when I am on a video clip that is 3+ hours of footage it will take a little to buffer from spot to spot, but why on Earth would it take minutes to move around on a 5 minute sequence? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

What version of Videopad is being used?  What are the sizes and format of source files - HD, 2K, 4K?

Try toggling Hardware Acceleration, under OPTIONS | EDITING tab to see if that helps.

Under the OPTIONS | DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files.  Also shut down other programs that may be running the in the background.

If performance is slow after files are cached (completed green lines above  thumbnails),  take a look at PROXY editing.  With very large files it can increase efficiency considerably.

Borate, I am a novice with video editing, etc. I cleared the cache and hopefully this helps. I don't really even know what version I am using. The files are HD. Clearing the cache seems to help for the momemnt. I will respond after editing a longer clip (this one was from a 40 min clip).

HD (1080) files should pose no slowdowns.  They are regularly used here in long projects and the interface responds well.

The VP version is shown at the bottom-left of its window.  image.png

If you share the five-minute project here (or in private) folks will run it on their PCs to see how performance compares.  The process isn't difficult and takes but a few minutes.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.
Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Borate, really appreciate your help. Looks like clearing the cache worked for going along the video. But once I pull a sequence and start editing the sequence, it really slows down. My version is 8.12 for Windows. Looks like that is out of date, so that could be the issue. I am redownloading now. Any idea how to keep it updating as I go along? I have only had it for about a month now.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  Here's the latest.

If you are working with large files - 4K, for example - and green lines above the sequence thumbnails have completed but VP is sluggish, look into PROXY editing.