Add a clip locking feature

takis

I ask it for a long period of time, but the programmers are solid-fixed in keeping this annoying automatic gap-closing engine... I do not understand why, I suppose they have a lot of work invested on this idea, mistakenly in my opinion.

You see, as mentioned in the past, I work with lots of different audio and video clips on the timeline. Fundamental principles of Montage, require that I have them "on the table" at all times. This is why, I keep them either on different tracks or at far-right on the same track.

Needless to say, the annoying auto-gap-closing feature keeps on moving clips continuously to the left, so it is a matter of time until my "parked" clips join the active timeline and mess up EVERYTHING!

Every time that I resize, split, move, or replace  a part of a clip, the software is closing gaps in a chess one-to-one pattern until ...mate! The ALT button, loudly proposed by NCH to be a solution, is NOT helpful. First of all, for some reason it works only when resizing the right clip... Resizing the left clip's end-point, ALWAYS forces gap-closure!

I have been complaining about this in literally most of my comments here, but as I said above, NCH is obsessive on this issue...

This time, I come back with another proposition, that could please both sides: Can you please add a lock feature to every clip, that forces it to STAY where we put it, and not move to its own mind?

Thank you

Takis

Hi

"...First of all, for some reason it works only when resizing the right clip... Resizing the left clip's end-point, ALWAYS forces gap-closure! "

This is because when you resize the left clip, that clip is the focus . Pressing the Alt key has no effect. The clip in question shortens and the following clips close the gap. If you resize the right clip that clip has the focus and pressing Alt has the effect of leaving the clip remnant where is is. i.e. the control (the Alt key) only acts on the clip in focus, it doesn't have an effect on other clips.

Shortening the right hand clip  does not leave a gap either but if the Alt key is depressed then a gap is made and the remaining clips stay where they are.

More of a problem is when you try to move a middle clip with the Alt key pressed....This causes the moving clip to overwrite the next clip. (It would be more logical if it simply pushed the sequence along the track(s) ...but see below) **

An end clip can be moved and leave a gap if it is done with the Alt key pressed.Without the Alt key it snaps back.

** If a series of clips are grouped (using the Shift key) then all of those clips can be pushed to the right (when the Shift key is released.) Like a single clip they will all snap back if the Alt key is not pressed. The Alt key followed by dragging will move all the grouped clips and leave a gap.

If upper tracks  are not going to be needed then they could be used for storage but obviously they would need to be moved away from the area being edited.

You could also copy  an edited clip that you stored on a higher track and then drag it to the clip bin for later use.(i.e. Store it in the bin instead of on the timeline) You will see a green triangle pointer when you do this. This removes it from the track. You can then rename that copied clip in the bin or add notes.

Nat

Adding to Nat's comments, moving a middle clip without shortening what follows can be done by first selecting all those clips.  No need to group them.

If clips to be used later are stored on a separate track, lock the track so it won't be affected by editing.  When needed, unlock and drag clips to the active project.

In the v8.12 beta version tested here, dragging clips - including the last clip - leaves a gap whether <alt> is pressed or not.

Dear friends,

Forgive my saying, but it is not a matter of focus. Either focus is on the left or on the right clip, shortening the left clip's end causes the right clip to move to the left NO MATTER  WHAT (alt pressed). I have to firstly disconnect the right clip moving it to the right, then resize the left clip and finally bring the right clip to join again... At least this happens with v8.06, I haven't tried the latest version.

Another issue, that I kindly put into your consideration is the following:

When I try to move a prologue clip (on a parallel track) to the beginning of the timeline, something happens with the horizontal scroller and keeps on bringing it back... I try several times, even move it step by step, but still when it reaches the foremost edge of the project, auto scroll is engaged and it scrolls me back to where I started. It looks like a timeline-window scroller malfunction. I hope I was clear in describing the problem..

Regards

Takis

Either focus is on the left or on the right clip, shortening the left clip's end causes the right clip to move to the left NO MATTER  WHAT (alt pressed)...

Use <shift> and a gap will be left, for still images.  Doesn't work for video here in v8.12.  May or may not be intended.  File a report or suggestion.

As to your second concern, please record a screen video of the issue and link it here...

Hi takis

"....Either focus is on the left or on the right clip, shortening the left clip's end causes the right clip to move to the left NO MATTER  WHAT (alt pressed)......"

That is the case. Shortening the end of the left hand clip by dragging the handle will cause all the right hand clips to move up and close the gap. However as Borate says images will leave a gap if shortening is done with the Shift key pressed.

I think the easiest way of trimming the left hand clip by using the handle is not to do it in situ...

1. Pull it vertically up to a higher track
  2. Shorten it using either handle with the Alt key depressed.(Note:- Left hand handle needs the Alt key, the right hand handle doesn't but press it anyway)
  3. When you have finished drag the shortened clip vertically back down to the main track. Right hand clips don't move.

".... I hope I was clear in describing the problem.. "

No, not exactly. :)    but if it a matter dragging an upper clip to the left (or the start of the timeline) then try placing the cursor line at the required start point and drag the clip to the cursor. It will lightly grab the cursor so that's when you release it. Note that you can drag an upper clip PAST the start of the project.

The horizontal scroll bar should simply move the whole timeline left or right no matter what zoom level you have. Dragging an upper clip to the left or right should not affect the scroll bar.

Nat

Dear friends,

Thanks for the immediate response.

Concerning the gap-closure,  yes, I refer to video clips and not static images. I mostly edit clips. For now I do as you suggested, either shift the clip to another track or resize the right clip to isolate and then trim the left one. Unfortunately, more clicks lead to mistakes and more work for me! This is why I am complaining all the time for this...

Concerning the scroller problem, I am sorry that I am not clear enough, but is due to the nature of the problem.  Unfortunately my debut demo expired and I cannot record with it, but I will try to find a solution  (i.e. make a photo-map of what happens). I will come back today with a way to present the problem.

Thanks

OK,  I managed to record with a free windows app...

In the video, please note that I try to move the small "flag" image to the beginning of the timeline. Unfortunately, I cannot reach there! The moment that I get close, the horizontal scroller jumps and it throws me back to where I started... There seems to be a connection with zoom and the position of the red line. So, if I zoom out totally, I am able to reach the left outmost of the project. But this is a problem, since zooming out makes the clip to move smaller and smaller and impossible to grab... Especially in big projects.

File: https://files.fm/f/4sx885f8

Please inform me if you need a better video, or problem description.

Regards,

Takis

Hi

This, I think is what you are wanting to do.......

1. aa.jpg

Above.....Initial position. Note the scroll bar is moved a bit to the right and the start of the main clip on the timeline is not visible.

bb.jpg

The upper clip has now been dragged to the far left which is the start of the visible timeline. It has left a white frame behind at its initial position and upon reaching the left end of the visible timeline there  a white dashed vertical line appears. The clip does NOT jump back or zoom in when released and the scroll bar stays in the same position..In effect you have simply dragged the small clip closer to the actual proper start of the main clip which, because of the scroll position is not actually visible.

Click the  I<  button under the Sequence preview window to move the red cursor line to the  actual start of the timeline... The clips will all move along to the right.

ccc.jpg

The scroll bar now goes to zero (as the cursor is at the start of the timeline). Provided the short clip has been moved close enough to the start of the timeline it will be visible and you can now drag it left  again so it touches the cursor line where it will be lightly attracted.... It will now be at the actual start of the whole sequence.

dd.jpg

Being on the overlay track it will overplay the main clip beneath and it can be left in position  if that is what you want

If you want the small clip to start BEFORE the main clip then......

Grab the main clip and drag it to the right so it starts where the overlay clip finishes. It will jump into place when it gets there. If you drag it to the right too far it will jump back when it is released.

ff.jpg

This is how VP 8.10 behaves here on a Vista PC.

Nat

Dear Nat and Borate,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I posted this issue, because I did not have it with previous versions.

I use this small clip at the beginning of every music video of mine, since it is my logo. I pull it to the left, further than the beginning and place it (fading in-out) before the main video. I never had to think about zoom level nor the red line, I just pulled it left and the scroller was adjusting automatically until I could see the clip's start.

Please note that the clip does NOT jump back when I release it to its position. As you can see in my screen-video, it happens before I release it. While dragging to the left, when I reach a critical area, the whole timeline scrolls creating an endless loop.

Of course I always manage to overcome it, usually by totally zooming out, but this was not there in earlier versions. I am sure, since I do this in every video of mine and never dealt with it before. I will download and test the v8.10, maybe it is not there any more. I use windows 10, 64bit.

Thanks again,

Takis