Insert clips without overwriting

Viotto

Hello,
I do have an issue since I updated from VideoPad 7 to 8.
Till version 7, I could just drag and drop clips within the same sequence to swap their position.
When I did move a clip, it would place itself automatically between the two clips, the space is automatically made and the previous/next clip were not overwritten or cut.
But now, each time I move a clip on the sequence to change its position and place it between two clips, it just sits on top of the previous one, overwriting it.

What I need to do is just insert a clip between two other clips without overwriting them.
This previously could be done simply by dragging the clip among the two other clips.
Now, I am forced to move clips on other empty sequence tracks and rearrange them manually, which is uncomfortable and time wasting.

Does anybody has the same issue?
How can I move a clip between two other clips, without overwriting them, but creating space automatically for the insertion?

Thank you in advance.

Select (highlight) the clip to be moved and press <ctrl-X>.  It will vanish and clips to its right will ripple to the left, to fill the gap.

Reposition the cursor (red line) to the clip margin where the deleted clip is to be inserted.  Use the ||<  and >|| buttons under the preview window.

Press <ctrl-V> to paste the previously deleted clip at that point.  It will insert, pushing later clips to the right.

Hi

1. Use the >II or the II< button under the Sequence preview window to move the cursor to the join where the new clip is to be inserted.
  2. Right click the new clip in the clip bin and select Place on Sequence at Cursor.

The selected clip will be inserted at the cursor position between the clips on the timeline. Clips to the right will be pushed along by the correct distance.

Example....Timeline with three clips....

aa.jpg

Cursor moved to the insert point using ........>II.

bb.jpg

New clip from bin Placed on Sequence at Cursor.......

ccc.jpg

Note all clips (in this case 2)  have moved along to the right allowing the insertion of the new clip and have retained their original duration.  (This is using VP 8.10)

Further...If you move the cursor to any point within a clip, insertion takes place in the same way . The clip being split to accommodate the new one.

dd.jpg

Note that nothing has been deleted. The overall length remains the same as inserting at a join. (44.5 seconds)

Nat

• 4 weeks later...

Oh man, I really hope you guys have some help for me or this product that I paid $50 for is getting some really bad reviews.

Just like Viotto, I had the older version. I really thought that it was a normal video editing function to be able to drag and drop clips in between others. I guess I'm wrong.

I was using the ctrl + x / ctrl + v method stated by Borate above for the last 20 minutes. I don't like this nearly as much as dragging and dropping, but I guess it'll do. And then suddenly, I tried a ctrl + v and suddenly the video clip is overlapping as video track two! Dude, what? Why?

What version is being used?  Even within the same version #, there may be slight behavioral differences.  In beta v8.18 installed here clips drop cleanly if the arrows are lined up at the cut points.  If not lined up, a clip will drop into another clip.  If <alt> is held while dragging, the dragged clip will cover the new clip and leave a gap.  The first two examples below are a simple drag.  The next two employed the <alt> key.  Between each example <ctrl-Z> was used to UNDO.

Load v8.18Drag-drop, <alt> and snapping actions have been modified over various versions, in a quest to achieve the most reasonable behavior.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi

Question.......... How do you move IMAGE ONE so that it in front of IMAGE TWO?

bb.jpg

Try dragging it back?........It overwrites IMAGE TWO!

Try dragging IMAGE TWO to the end of IMAGE ONE?.......It overwrites IMAGE THREE!

Move the cursor to the start of IMAGE TWO?.....There is no option to select IMAGE ONE  on the timeline and Insert it at the cursor.

Obviously I could simply delete it, set the cursor and reload it again to the cursor from the bin and then close any gaps. But that is awkward if I have edited it. I would have to re-edit it.

If the clips are the same length you can do a 16 puzzle move with it.......Drag it up to Track2. Move IMAGE TWO along and then drop IMAGE ONE back down into the gap.  But if they are all different lengths things get complicated.

A simple drag and drop OUGHT TO BE THE WAY TO DO THIS BUT IT DOESN'T WORK.

Answers on a postcard.:mellow:

Nat

How do you move IMAGE ONE so that it in front of IMAGE TWO?

Try dragging IMAGE TWO to the end of IMAGE ONE?.......It overwrites IMAGE THREE!

Move the cursor to the start of IMAGE TWO?.....There is no option to select IMAGE ONE on the timeline and Insert it at the cursor.

Same as first example, above, in this case.  "Insert at cursor" from the bin inserts a dupe #1 image in front of #2.

What's going on here appears to be due to A/B testing, causing inconsistent results for users.  Reinstall v8.18 repeatedly until it acts as above, which seems the best behavior.

A simple drag and drop OUGHT TO BE THE WAY TO DO THIS BUT IT DOESN'T WORK...

Fully agree.  Apparently that isn't the case with some builds.

Hi Borate

Your clips are marked "unavailable"   with the message....(from the forum)....

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location. 

However, I re-ran the vpsetup.exe file again to reload VP 8.16 again on top of the existing VP 8.16 and now the overwriting does not take place, IMAGE ONE can be pulled back and inserted in front of IMAGE TWO with no problem. In fact they can be moved about and inserted at any join or position.

I can't understand why NCH have an "invisible"  version  that has faults inbuilt. Most people wouldn't know that reloading the SAME program on top the existing  with the SAME setup file would probably cure the fault.

Nat

The behavior is working as intended:

• Dragging a clip over another clip will replace(overwrite) the clip.
  • Dragging a clip over the join of another tow clips, the clip will be inserted by making space to the join.

We will review the UI and try to make it more responsive and shows exactly what happen when you drop the clip.

What c_major outlines is correct and desirable when clips are dragged from the bin.  In the demonstration above, dragging clips on the sequence is also fine.

But, with an install here, v8.18 acted as Nat outlines - not good.  After several over-installs  it performed as shown in the videos above - which is correct, IMO.

For marketing purposes, slight feature or options variations are worth checking out.  For example, availability of certain effects or the OPTIONS | shortcuts tab.

But confusion results when users experience different functionality and performance issues within the same version.