I'm using version 5.73 free(non-commercial use).  OS is windows 10 home version 1909. 

No option to select microphone.  Under Options> audio, microphone is not able to be selected "greyed out".  Speakers, mouse clicks, ect; are able to be selected/ unselected.
I'm using an external usb microphone, but it wasn't an option even before I bought the mic. It wouldn't show my laptop array microphone...  I bought the external mic thinking that not having one was the issue,  but no...  I've plugged the mic into every usb port, no change in the inability to select in options>audio...  I've closed Debut, reopened it, nothing changes.  I'm able to make voice recording in other programs, mic is functional, just not in Debut.
I've searched the debut forum, but didn't find any relevant posts.
I does record music that is playing through the speakers, if that helps.
I would greatly appreciate any help that can provide.  I'm only using this for self improvement and not for any commercial purposes. 
Thank you.

Check the recording device directly on your machine, make sure that you have active the Mic. Go to your Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Sound, then select the recording Tab , select the device, then select Properties, select the Listen Tab, and check the box listen from this device. 

Check again the setup on Debut program, if you still getting issues would be better if you send the request to the technical Team:  https://www.nch.com.au/support/supportcontact.html?software=Debut

DannR,

Thank you so much for your reply.  Unfortunately after meticulously doing exactly what you recommended above, the microphone selection in Debut still remains greyed out and unable to be selected.  I went ahead and sent an e-mail to tech support.  Tomorrow I will uninstall Debut and reinstall it to see if that makes any difference.  Other than the microphone issue, everything else appears to be working fine.  Problem is I need to be able to use the microphone for the reason I installed the Debut program.

Thanks again.