Audio shrinkage and pitch change

Mike Nomic

I am using Videopad 7.02.

After work in the early part of this year to overcome both video and audio issues with importing .avi files,

I have been working successfully.

However, I've now encountered a further issue. If I upload two tapes to a project, the second tape suffers an error in that,

while the video is imported correctly, the audio is compressed into exactly two-thirds of the clip length, and the pitch of the

sound is raised, so it becomes out of sync with the picture, and sounds like the chipmunks!!

If this issue has been addressed in a release/update since mine, please advise how I update mine.

Thanks,

Mike.

Right-click the clip and CHANGE SPEED, just to confirm that it hasn't been speeded up.

Upload and share the errant clip if possible. Someone will check it out.  Dropbox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive are all free.  Be sure to make the link public and post it here.

For licensed Videopad users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Whether licensed or not, you can test the latest.

I've right-clicked and the speed is 100%, and 'Keep audio pitch unchanged' is checked.

I'm sorry, I can't share the clip, nor the first one of the project, and I suspect the issue won't arise with only one clip

I may have to shoot two more clips after the holiday, and upload them.

Mike.

You can share the clip privately by clicking the chevron at the top-right of this forum and bringing up my name.

Test the current program and see if it handles things differently.  Retain your old registration and installer, which is normally archived in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"

• 5 weeks later...

We have seen that exact same problem with version 7.51 and 8.00.  It seems like with an AVI file collected with FireWire the audio is shortened sometimes and what you hear sounds like the Chipmunks.  We first noticed the problem with version 7.51 and then went ahead and updated to 8.00 and the problem was still there.  So we do believe that the problem is in VideoPad.  My brother Jerry submitted a bug request.  We notice that prism software does not seem to have this problem.

Upload and share the file or, preferably, the project and someone will check out the issue.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

I believe my brother Jerry has already submitted a bug report on this issue.  He was able to take the one hour video and reduce it to just several minutes to make the engineer that fixes the problem easier to understand.  Since we are working on these projects together.  We both are using version 7.51.  However we both updated to 8.0 just to check out the problem and the problem still exists so we both went back to 7.51.  This is because I know as an engineer the actual version number is stored in the projects stored on the disk.  This can have negative effects if one person were to update to a newer version and not the other.

In fact on a separate topic, can I get a copy of the actual detailed information that comes out on the versions so I can see in detail what is been updated/changed and what may cause me problems?  I typically don't update my version all the time unless I see it real reason I like to know what's in my version vs. the latest.  And usually the marketing information doesn't have enough detail.

Thanks
Russ

I have shot two test tapes, and cannot replicate the issue.

I may have to send you some of the clips with the issue, but only if I can be guaranteed their security. Please advise, key by key, how I do this, with a secure link to somewhere to upload the file as a personal upload.

I've noticed also that when importing clips, it sometimes asks which audio stream (1 or 2) I want to use, which suggests stereo sound, but all my recordings were done with  a mono microphone. I hit the 'x' at top-right of that option, and it seems to make no difference on any clip.

Having tried the then latest version as suugested above, without change to the results, my licence for 7.02 appears to have been removed. Please advise the numbers I need to reinstate this.

Registration should not expire.  Reload 7.02 or any version released within six months of its purchase and re-register with your original code it if necessary.  If no go, check the registration section here.

VP won't prompt for typical 2-channel stereo.  An audio request suggests that multiple streams have been encoded, despite the fact a mono mic was used.

If you upload your project to my PM (personal messenger) no one else will have access, but for the developers if testing is needed.  Upload, make the link public (share it) and please send it to me.  Click the envelope at the top-right of this forum and input "borate" as the recipient.

http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

This form, and the chat feature, should be able to resolve the registration issue.

If you're presented with a stream choice, try each of them.

For upload, just follow the steps in the "tips for getting help" link above...

1.  Have your completed project on the timeline, as if you were about to export it.  No need to actually export.

2.  Click the 'hamburger' (three-lined) menu at the top-left of the window.  Click FILE, then SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS.  The result will be a folder with numbers.

3.  Sign on for free to a public server, such as Microsoft's OneDrive or Google Drive and upload that folder.

4.  Make the resulting link public (share it).  To see that choice may require a right-click on the folder.

5.  Provide that link to me in a PM.

If the issue can be demonstrated with just a file or two, simply upload them in the same manner, providing a public link to each.  No need to save the project.

Click the envelope at the top-right of this forum.

Click the COMPOSE NEW button.

In to TO field type in "borate" (no quotes).  Press <enter> on the keyboard  The name entered in the TO field should then appear with an X beside it.

Paste the public links to the files into the body of the message.

Done.

Please confirm safe receipt.

Info updates and revisions re issue: -

It doesn't matter whether the clip is first or second upload, it still screws up.

The first file {020801~J(1)} on this clip also has the issue.  The audio track 'flatlines' (the graphic on audio track one at the bottom of the screen) on the project file from about 5m 45s to 9m 27s; when input is from the second file {020801~J(2)}. The audio is increasingly out of sync with the video, and at about 12m 16s, a 'chipmunk' type high-pitched voiuce can be heard.

If you play the source files on VLC, or WMV; they behave normally. If you import them to videopad, the audio track shrinks to 2/3 of original length: check the graphic on the audio track one at the bottom of the screen, and the last 1/3 is a 'flatline'.

Please advise in due course

If this is the case, why does it only affect a handful of my tapes?

All were shot on the same sort of miniDV tape, on the same camcorder; imported to PC by firewire the same way, imported the same way into the same copy and version of Videopad.

Why does it appear to accept 'muxing' for all the other tapes/files?

Don't have that answer, Mike.  Media info for the first file shows this...   muxed.jpg

If you have MPC-HC or BE or VLC as a player, open your file to confirm. Click FILE|PROPERTIES.  The result should look like the above.  Then compare that with a file that doesn't have the problem.  Are they the same?

If you don't have one of the players, download the free Media Info tool.  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Install ... then launch MPC directly, not by double-clicking on the AVI.

Click its FILE menu, on the toolbar.  Click OPEN FILE.  Browse to your AVI, select it and click on OK.

Click FILE again and then click PROPERTIES.

VLC likely has the capability as well, but the option to display it may be hidden.  Not familiar with VLC.