Reinstallation of VPE

italiangen

Hi.  I had a sys problem and need to do a fresh install of os.  I had a paid version that recently expired and just reinstalled the free unlicensed version.  Do I have to re-register this version under the old license key?  I cant repurchase the new version until Jan but I'm still editing current projects.  Please advise.  Thank you.

Sorry to be a pain but...  As I said earlier, I had to reinstall the OS on this laptop.  The other day I mistakenly downloaded the latest version and started to work on a new project.  I do plan to purchase this new version but I need to first submit the purchase order and that will take at least a week.  I tried to export the file but was stopped until I said I would be purchasing it at a later date.

I needed to work on an older video that I created with ver 6.29.  Thinking I could not install the older version on this laptop I installed it on my desktop.  I re-registered it and tried to load an old project but it said the file was not compatible with the 6.29 version.  Is that because the version was update during the six-month window?

Please advise.  Thank you.  PeterD

No reason comes to mind why a project created in 6.29 won't load in that version, whether registered or not.  Try installing 6.29 on the laptop - see the link below.

As for exporting your new project with a non-licensed version:  that should be possible, though certain file types may be restricted.   Video AVI usually succeeds, using the default settings.

If the purchase prompt did not offer a 'lite' version choice, first save your project.  Then attempt an uninstall via Windows Control Panel|PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.  The choice may appear.

If still thwarted, test the free 'lite' version, which has some limitations, but should do the job for you.  It may allow an Mp4 export as well.  Eventually you can register it or its successor.

I installed the lite version (7.50) onto the desktop and loaded the old project.  So far so good.

I left the new 7.3 version on this laptop due to the fact that I already started a new project on it.

Will old projects load into the new version once I purchase it?  A new project (7.3), will it load into an older 6.29 version?  If the video files and the .vpj file of an old project were moved to another drive and them attempted to open to the another computer,  would this cause a problem.

As always, thanks for the great support!

There should be no incompatibilities between 7.3x and 7.50, which is a test beta subject to change.

Can't definitively answer your other queries;  you will just have to test.  But do recommend that you click the 'hamburger' menu (top-left), FILE, then SAVE AS PORTABLE PROJECT - perhaps to a USB thumb drive.  That project should load into any compatible version, irrespective of the PC, as it contains all files and the .vpj control.  It's meant to be portable.

Usually no need to uninstall, just install over the top.

You may or may not need to re-register/pay an upgrade fee.  Retain your old installer.  It's likely stored in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad".

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

• borate changed the title to Reinstallation of VPE