Combined 2D photo/film with 360 degree photo/film

kristiansen

Will ask is it supposed that 360 degree photo/film should be able to be combined with 2D photo and 2D movie?.
It may work in version 7.02 by reducing to 65% in the place 360 degrees function, however, there is a deterioration of the quality of the 2D photo.
With version 7.35, I can't make it work at all.

This is my problem, I want to combine 2D Photo/movie with 360 degree photo,
because it provides a unique form of documentation.

It's unclear what you mean by "combine."

In tests here, a 3D image overlaid a 2D image, picture-in-picture style - and both looked fine.

Then the 2D was overlaid onto the 3D and it too displayed well.

Perhaps you can upload a few examples to a free server, and link them here.  Give specifics on what actions you want them to take.

1 hour ago, borate said:

It's unclear what you mean by "combine."

In tests here, a 3D image overlaid a 2D image, picture-in-picture style - and both looked fine.

Then the 2D was overlaid onto the 3D and it too displayed well.

Perhaps you can upload a few examples to a free server, and link them here.  Give specifics on what actions you want them to take.

Yes Google Translate is not always understandable.
I mean use 2D photo, 2D movie, and 360 degree photo in the same video.
Is it possible and how?.
Here I have used 2D photo and 360 degree photo in the same video, it is made with version 7.02, can't make it work with version 7.35.

https://youtu.be/pxxKphkGmnA

Here is a video with 2D text and 360 degree photo in version 7.02 ,everything is ok except for the slightly lacking resolution of 2D photo.
, photo is placed with the function 360 place and 65 percent.

https://youtu.be/pxxKphkGmnA

Here is the same movie with version 7.39 , can't make it work.

https://youtu.be/M-74OhI0D2A

Here is the link to the photos I have used:

Dolmen

360 degree photo

Info board

A small piece of film.

Hi

I appreciate that your example video shows the 360 degree photo working nicely but I have never seen the Up/Down/Left/Right controls incorporated in a VP generated video.  I don't do 360 degree clips but are these controls  automatically a part of the exporting process for 360 (immersive) clips or they generated within the camera.?    I am rather interested to know.

Nat

5 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

I appreciate that your example video shows the 360 degree photo working nicely but I have never seen the Up/Down/Left/Right controls incorporated in a VP generated video.  I don't do 360 degree clips but are these controls  automatically a part of the exporting process for 360 (immersive) clips or they generated within the camera.?    I am rather interested to know.

Nat

It's  Youtube that implements it in 360 degree photo, I'm getting unsure about what I'm saying is right, I've seen it in other videos, but they can of course also use VP. But somebody here must be able to answer.

Hi

Those controls are not available. (AFAIK)

360 degree Panorama images are no problem as you can either view all of the image as a narrow strip....(not too useful)  or by adding a zoom you can pan right or left  across the image.

Your 360 degree spherical immersive image is 5376 x 2688  as it stands and is compressed towards the top and bottom. Played in VP  it will not include the up/left/down/right controls and you would have to animate the movements you require.

First you would need to add the View in 360 degree effect. This will to zoom in and un-distort the image. You can then use keyframes with the Horizontal and Vertical controls for this effect to animate the image. i.e. You incorporate the up/down and horizontal movements as a fixed animation for the clip.

The raw images tend to be large and processing speeds can suffer. I used your 360 image of the Dolmen interior but reduced it to a more compressed jpg file.  This worked very well. Panning left to right and at the same time moving up vertically to show the roof and then down vertically to the floor and then back to the exit/entrance.

aa.jpgbb.jpgccc.jpgaa.jpg

If you want to "go around" again with a different animation then you can add the image to the end of the timeline  and use the View 360 effect again. However as the image is zoomed in it defaults to 0 horizontal which is the centre of the image even though the clip preview cursor line is set at the left (start).. Change the horizontal value to -180 and the clip will continue where it left off.

Nat

@Nationalsolo   360 degrees Photo works fine, my problem arises when I combine with regular 2D photo. I could do it in version 7.02 with slightly limited resolution.

But in ver. 7.39 it does not work at all,  plain 2D photo is curved, it looks totally wrong.
See my example in the post with link,  or here: https://youtu.be/M-74OhI0D2A

Hi

Your photo (2D non 360)  is being seen (at least in the YT video as a 360 image.  I can't reproduce this as both the 360 immersive image (dolmen) that I have and the 2d Info board image are straightfoward ...IMAGES ...

Info board image

INFO.jpg

Dolmen (inside)360 image

360 .jpg

...the Dolmen (inside) is not a video clip (for me), and they don't therefore have the Up/Down/Right/Left control circle that appears in the YT example. For me the dolmen (inside)is a distorted very wide angle 2d image.

I have no experience of this and I may be totally wrong..(probably am)... but I suspect that the 360 camera takes a series of flat images and then stitches them together to produce a 360 degree (flat) image, like the panoramic cameras do, but also having up/down views so as to cover the whole sphere. As a flat image it is distorted in a similar way textures are that can be placed on a globe. If exported as a film it gets the addition of the control circle and the effects to un-distort it. Perhaps YT is doing this and adding the control circle but to the whole video meaning that the 2d info board image which is present is also treated in the same way. Consequently it now appears distorted whilst the actual 360 image being distorted at birth so to speak, is rendered normal.....:unsure:.

Is your dolmen (inside)  a video clip or an image? In your link it is a 360 degree image

If it is a  360 immersive video clip does it play as expected with the control circle when loaded to  VP?

It's an interesting problem but is it VP related or YT related?

Nat

@Nationalsolo   Unfortunately my English is very poor,  i'm not sure i understand your long post properly , the photo from inside the burial chamber is a 360 degree photo, taken with a Ricoh Theta V 360 camera https://theta360.com/en/

You say: "Your photo (2D non 360)  is being seen (at least in the YT video as a 360 image."  Yes, that is the problem , a problem that is not in version 7.02.

Can be seen here (same video made whith version 7.02):  https://youtu.be/pxxKphkGmnA

Hi

"....... the photo from inside the burial chamber is a 360 degree photo, ...."

OK.......but where does this navigation item come from?   (YouTube screen dump) This from your version created on 7.02 and viewed on YouTube

ccc.jpg

The export of your image from VP doesn't show it. (viewed in VLC)

DD.jpg

This image (from VLC) has the View in 360 effect added which un-distorts it and zooms into the centre. You can pan in any direction but only by using keyframes. The are no navigation buttons.

On YouTube your version from VP 7.02 shows the info board image as a normal image BUT it has the navigation buttons and pressing these pans  the image about. In fact if you just hold the YouTube cursor line down a View in 360  of the image shows up ....which is odd.

ee.jpg

I suspect that the behavior you are seeing has something to do with the YouTube viewer.

Also the navigation buttons shown on the example on the web page for your camera are different which makes me think it is a property of the viewer and not VP.

What do you see in VP when your camera video is loaded to VP?  If it is just an image as you say it is there won't be any navigation buttons. It would be interesting to see what others think..or know.

Nat

It's difficult for me to discuss, because of my lack of English skills. but i will try to summarize.  The navigation item is not in VP , youtube only. it's always been that way

I,ll start by asking, is it your intention that you should be able to mix 2D photo/movie and 3D/360 photo/movie in the same video with VP?

The teaching videos, shows only how  to lie a text on  top of a 360 degree photo/movie,  it works,  Includes a  clean text like i do  works too  when i use  the function (place in 360) and adjust the text size, both in versions 7.02 and 7.39. I could do the samme with 2D photo in version 7.02, however with slightly degraded resolution.

The same cannot be done in version 7.39, but the preview  of the function (place in 360) shows a perfekt picture?,  but when the video is playing the image is  Distorted.  both in VP and Youtube.

I see the same when i tap the timeline , a little strange, also the thumbnail Youtube generates is Distorted. 

PS. Can i have both versions of VP on the same computer?.

• 6 months later...

Kristiansen wrote:  Can i have both versions 7.02 or 8.39  of VP on the same computer?

Not unless the PC has two operating systems - dual boot.

File a bug report by click the chevron at the top-right of the VP window.  Be as specific as possible.

Hi

"....Can i have both versions 7.02 og 8.39  of VP on the same computer?. ...."

Loading another version to the same PC (unless it is on a different partition) will overwrite the existing version. So I think the answer is no.

Unfortunately I can't view your YT example as it seems to be classed as Private.

I would be interested however if you could up load an example of your 2D and one of your 360 degree photos to dropbox  for us to download and check out

Nat

Hi

The images are separate. and effects added to the 360 image cannot (or should not) affect the 2d image.

Here is an example...

• Place the 360 degree image on the timeline.....It will fill the frame  right to left but will be distorted, particularly at the top and bottom..
  • Set image duration to around 10 seconds
  • Click the FX box and add the View in 360 effect.....Now only the central part of the image will fill the frame but the distortion will be corrected
  • You can animate this image using keyframes... e.g. pan in a complete 360 degree circle clockwise around the dolmen.
  • Move the effect cursor red line to the left side of the graph area (start of the clip)
  • Move the View in 360 horizontal slider to the left (-180)
  • Create a keyframe
  • Slide the cursor line to the right side (end of clip)
  • Move the View in 360  horizontal slider to the right (180)
  • The clip will play showing a clockwise pan around the dolmen lasting around 10 seconds.

Text added to this will appear normal

• Add the 2D image to the timeline so it follows the 360 degree image. As there will be no effects (unless you add them it will appear and play normally as a 2D image and text will be normal also.

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE IN VP AND IT EXPORTS AND PLAYS CORRECTLY ON THE PC...HOWEVER YOUTUBE MAY NOT SEE IT THE SAME WAY

In your video on YouTube the 2D images ARE distorted but I don't think it's  a VP error. It may be something that has been introduced by YouTube thinking that the whole videois in 360 even the 2D images. If YT is adding the navigating buttons then they are also adding them to the 2D sections

I think the answer here is not to mix the formats when sending to YT.

Nat

9 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

I think the answer here is not to mix the formats when sending to YT.

Nat

I Think the same, but as said version 7.02 can do it, with place 360 and scale 65% which distorts the image a little bit. but otherwise it works.

But thanks for trying to fix the problem.

@kristiansen

Confirmed "Place in 360" can't be previewed properly in the sequence - this is a bug.

[Edit]: This bug has been fixed in recent versions.

About the distortion. This is unavoidable. "Place in 360" projects the 2D video on a very small portion of the 360 video - which is a spherical surface. This is a lossy process and a lot of information could loss during the process.

• borate changed the title to Combined 2D photo/film with 360 degree photo/film