huge cache file

Holmgaard

System 

AMD Ryzen 5 2500u 

Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx  2.0 GHz

8 Gb

SSd 128  Gb + Harddisk 1 Tb

A Video clip 1280 - 720,  length 18 minutes,   Size 1,27 Gb.

When I used stabilization on this clip, it was very slow. It took hours.

When it was done I discovered a huge cache file only for the Audio of 80 Gigabyte. Is that really normal?

And now, every time I open the project, some sort of process on the Audio file starts, and finishes after more than an hour. After that It's working normal-ish.

Any ideas? 

Is VP configured to cache to the hard disk?  Set that under OPTIONS|DISK tab.

Upload the project, with stabilization, and someone will check it out...

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

The path used to be: C/Users/(user)/AppData/Local/Temp/VideoPadcache.   In here there are a lot of files. The huge one was called  2148-3668-0.soundData.cache.

Every time I open the project it creates new cache (...it takes more than an hour). The numbers are different but there's always one soundData.cache-file that is that big. 

Since it was to big for the SSD I changed it to the Harddisk: D/video/videocache. 

I hope that makes sence 

The Stabilized.avi is 1,65 Gb and it will take 2 days to upload according to Dropbox. (I don't have fiber but struggle with ADSL)

I'm not very techno... But the cache is created every time I load the project from the .vpj file. It builds up and is used during editing. When the project is saved and closed, the cache file remains until a new project is loaded. At that point the folder is cleared to make room for the new project. The vpj.-file shouldn't contain the cache. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I just opened this project again. It took 1 hour and 36 minutes. At the end it had created a cache folder of a whopping 123 Gbyte of which 1 single soundData.cache file was 121 Gb.

Thanx for trying to help. Really appreciate it :)

Under OPTIONS]DISK tab there is the option to Clear Unused Cache Files.  That can be done at any time.  It's not a bad idea to clear it  prior to starting a new project.

Thereafter, if you haven't cleared the cache, VP will reference it when restoring that project, so loading time should be much faster.

The audio files totaled 212MB, a reasonable size.  Does the stabilized video clip have audio?  If so, that's apparently what's causing the 'bloat.'

Yes the stabilized video has audio. It's shot with a phone sideways and rotated 90° in Video Pad. 

I've tried other, shorter files, stabilized them and started editing... Just to test it. None create these super-files. Nor does any of my other projects (not stabilized). 

It's just this one who's is doing the short circuit. Anyway the program cancel all old cache-files automatically when I start loading this project. As if it knew what's coming..

I've finished it now, so it doesn't bother me anymore. 

Thanx :)🍾