Black Frames between cuts

gdog

Sometimes after exporting, I'd see a black frame flashed on cuts when the footage is on different video track levels. But the black frame would not appear on the sequence preview. To fix, I would extend some of lower level video track to overlap underneath the top video track. It's really annoying to have to go back and recheck my export playbacks by frame.

v7.3

Another issue I had was when I placed a text clip and spaced it out on a left aligned format, on export, the text would appear in the right time sync, but in the wrong spacing position.

It's not inconceivable that the preview res may gloss over a black frame.  Your trap overlapping is a good approach.  If you expand the track, with the slider at the bottom-right, you might be able to spot gaps that will cause a flash.  As a track is slid left or right a line should appear when one ends and the other begins....

image.png.

Checked out a right-side text here and it stayed put on the export, so could not duplicate your result.  This isn't a subtitle is it?  If that's the case, click the box and Apply To Selected.

• 1 month later...

Blanks frames afflict also my videos from time to time and I was unable to spot them until I see exported work.

The trick I used was to open the exported video file with virtual-dub and delete them manually re-encoding the clean video... but as you figure out

is not the best way to fix this thing and cause audio gaps also.

So mine suggestion is : why not to add the function "detect/delete single blank frames" ? many thanks

• 1 month later...

I have bad problems with this too, I suppose you could just put the exported file through Videopad again and delete the black is that possible?  I have tried extending the other video track to cover any potential gaps but that doesn't work, it's a definite fault with the program, it seems to happen when I use the speed up function in the timeline...  I tried extending on this video and look at this huge black gap!!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBrwZ7yewIE

09:52 I tried everything to get rid of but couldn't.  ☹️☹️☹️

Which version of Videopad is in use?

Switch to Storyboard mode to spot gaps on the main video track.  Right-click | CLOSE GAP to delete them.

The best way to sleuth the issue is for you to share it here (or privately).  This is not difficult.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Hi Swiss

With regards the scrolling text being jerky. The smoothest I got using your colours/font size (about) and black border was with an .avi export at 60fps and a text image duration of 5 seconds or so.

The text was created without any scrolling at center bottom of the frame and previewed in VP to check it looked OK regarding colour/size etc. . I then took a snapshot of this to use in the video. This was then "scrolled" from right to left using the Position effect.

An mp4 export lat 60fps looked a bit "blurry"  but an avi export a 60fps definitely looked smoother.

Your black frame appears between two shots. Either...

1. You have a gap between them if they are on the same track.  Remedy is to go into Storyboard mode, find the gap and then close it. Or zoom into the timeline sufficiently to see the gap and then close it.
  2. If the clips are on different tracks you have a gap between them . Remedy is to extend the lower track OR the upper track so they overlap. The gap should then be covered.
  3. One clip or the other has a black frame at the end (or start). This may not necessarily be seen when you step frame by frame along the clip(s) . Remedy is to trim the end/start of the offending clip and then ensure there is no gap between them. I think there was a problem with earlier VP versions where this happened when the clip was split.If that is a similar case then trimming probably won't work. The only way to "remove" it in that case is to place the offending clip on a lower track and overlay the ends.

As an interesting test would might be open the project and place a blank clip on a lower track in a bright colour..eg yellow at the point you see the black flash. If it is a gap you will see a Yellow flash and you will know it is a gap and not a black frame.

Nat

5 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi Swiss

With regards the scrolling text being jerky. The smoothest I got using your colours/font size (about) and black border was with an .avi export at 60fps and a text image duration of 5 seconds or so.

The text was created without any scrolling at center bottom of the frame and previewed in VP to check it looked OK regarding colour/size etc. . I then took a snapshot of this to use in the video. This was then "scrolled" from right to left using the Position effect.

An mp4 export lat 60fps looked a bit "blurry"  but an avi export a 60fps definitely looked smoother.

Your black frame appears between two shots. Either...

1. You have a gap between them if they are on the same track.  Remedy is to go into Storyboard mode, find the gap and then close it. Or zoom into the timeline sufficiently to see the gap and then close it.
  2. If the clips are on different tracks you have a gap between them . Remedy is to extend the lower track OR the upper track so they overlap. The gap should then be covered.
  3. One clip or the other has a black frame at the end (or start). This may not necessarily be seen when you step frame by frame along the clip(s) . Remedy is to trim the end/start of the offending clip and then ensure there is no gap between them. I think there was a problem with earlier VP versions where this happened when the clip was split.If that is a similar case then trimming probably won't work. The only way to "remove" it in that case is to place the offending clip on a lower track and overlay the ends.

As an interesting test would might be open the project and place a blank clip on a lower track in a bright colour..eg yellow at the point you see the black flash. If it is a gap you will see a Yellow flash and you will know it is a gap and not a black frame.

Nat

Thank you for your suggestion re the frames I will look into changing that, re the black frame, none of the possibles apply to my project, I will work on uploading it...