Not able to get third track created.

Edward  H. Sebesta

I got an image in overlay over my video. Everything worked find. So i went to add another image in. Followed the instructions and dragged the image in where I am supposed to drag it but a third track doesn't appear. The image appears in Track 2. Everything is screwed up. The original video is shrunk to fit the new image. 

It really isn't a good product when I have to be watching all sorts of videos that don't go into details and get nothing done for 40 minutes then end up in a dead stop.

I would like to attach screen shots. I don't want to find some URL to put them. 

So I found out that locking the 2nd track forces the third track to be made when you drag down the next image. 

The video is still messed up as the original video track and the 2nd video track is attempted to be forced into the size of the object in the third track.

Also when the next item is added in, the checkerboard isn't there around them. Even if I get the 2nd image in correctly I have to consider if everytime I have to do something for the first time it ends up being 90 minutes of hacking through the software to figure it out if it is really worth it.

There are a number of ways to do what you appear to want.  Here's one...

Place the first image on track one.

Position the scrubber (red line) where the second image is to begin.

In the bin, right-click the second image and OVERLAY ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR

Repeat this for subsequent overlay tracks.

If you're patient, courteous and specific in describing your attempts someone will help.  Good luck to you!

Totally irrelevant reply. I found that instead of having "match content"  for aspect ratio, I had to set a ratio that matched the first track. Then each additional item fell in place and didn't screw up the video by applying to everything else the ratios involved in its content.  What was happening is that each new image was setting the aspect ratios for the previous material. 

This is a software where you hack your way through. I spent a lot of time watch videos and reading and looking through this forum. 

Hi Edward

"... I got an image in overlay over my video. Everything worked find. ....."

Ok so far.......You have a clip on Track 1 and an image on Track2 which will overlay the clip.

aa.jpg

"......So i went to add another image in. ....."

You don't say where you want to place this second image. If you want it to appear on a new track  (Track 3) you simply drag it down from the clip bin and drop into the grey band above Track 2. (Labelled  Drag and drop your video,text and image clips here to overlay)

This will automatically generate Video Track 3....

bb.jpg

It seems from your post that you may have dragged and dropped your second image onto Video Track 2.

If this is the case it will  apparently...(this may be a bug) overwrite the image om Track 2 and not insert.

That's what happens here with VP 7.3. If you want to insert it into Track 2 by dragging and dropping you can first drag it to the new Track 3 .........

dd.jpg

....and then in a separate action drag it down into the required position on Track 2 where it should now insert....

ee.jpg

This however creates a gap in Track 1.......which I don't think it should  as  the manipulations are strictly with the upper tracks ... but it can be easily closed. There are other ways of adding images or clips other than this. The options are accessed by clicking the clip in the respective bin and selecting the option from the list that appears.

Nat

They key thing is that you need to select for the first track your  aspect ratio. Otherwise anything you ad to an additional track that has a different aspect ratio will mess up your video. 

I know all of the above and once I knew to fix the Aspect Ratio it works. That is the critical detail missing. 

That is what VideoPad tutorials are about. General overview ommitting a critical detail which a person will take 90 minutes trying to figure out by trial and error. 

Hi

".... That is what VideoPad tutorials are about. General overview ommitting a critical detail which a person will take 90 minutes trying to figure out by trial and error.  ....."

I don't disagree at all with your statement,  but keeping the tutorials up to date for every new/revised edition of VP where quite a lot of changes ) or only one or two)  may have been made would be a big job I think and so I assume it's done on an ad-hoc basis. My post, I think answered your question regarding the non-appearance of Video Track 3 (and the disappearance/replacement  of the contents of Track 2) .

The AR difficulties are another item that has caused some confusion with users (including myself <_< ...and it still does :unsure:.)  If possible I try to keep all clips/images I use to a 16:9  AR and avoid such problems.The preview is then WYSIWYG although in my case my monitor, being old is not 16:9 but close enough not to cause a problem. However I accept that other users often use a mixture of ARs.The only way I see with all the possible permutations is a degree of trial and error and if that fails post here. Someone will generally try to help.

Nat