trouble with overlays

Kilbehenny

I have made a video, which contains, in parts, overlays of one video [in top right corner, i.e. inset] over another, however, in some parts it works fine, but in others the main video does not show, only an blacked out screen, except for the small overlay in the top right corner. If I remove the overlay then the background is fine [where it's the only video].

My background is set as video 1, and my overlay [inset] is video 4. I really don't know what happened to videos layers 2 and 3, or how to reveal them as I cannot see them on my screen [jumps from 1 to 4]. Not sure if that's part of my problem though.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong, or if there is a setting in the overlay that says that any piece of screen not used by the inset should be blacked out?

For info I use the following FX on the inset: Scale 0.4 / 0.4 horizontal/vertical ratio, and position 27 / -27

thanks

Diarmuid

• 4 weeks later...

hi. thanks for the offer of help, and apologies for my delayed response. I was not familiar with that method, however when I tried it, it resulted in a subfolder with 47GB of my videos together [i.e. those that make up the film in question], making it infeasible to share. 

In order to recreate the situation, I then saved the clips that gave rise to the aforementioned problem, and creates a new video with these clips, in the hope that I see the same issue, which could then be shared. However the problem did not manifest itself.

I think my problem must be in the complexity of my video somehow. For example, I can see video tracks 1, 4 and 5. I have no idea where 2 and 3 might be, or how to uncover them if they are simply hidden. Doing so might be a clue in my dilemma.

Researching show/hide clips I came across a piece in the help [http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/help.pdf, page 27] whereby whole tracks can be hidden by clicking on the 'eye'. The result is exactly what I see in mine, however it can't be this as this would hide the whole track. What I am experiencing is just selected clips on track 1 being hidden, and I can't find a similar option anywhere on a 'clip level'. Also, the film looks fine in its entirety within VideoPad. The 'disappearance' only manifests itself once exported.

Any ideas?

thanks a lot

If there is nothing on tracks 2 and 3, delete them.  Optionally, tracks can be renamed if you like by right-clicking to the left of their thumbnails.

Hiding a track will keep it from showing up in preview and export, but it should still be visible, though darkened, on the sequence.  When there are too many tracks to display, a scrollbar appears at the right.  To reset the interface, click the hamburger menu (three-lines) at the top-left of the window, click VIEW, then RESET.

What Videopad version are you using?  Here's the latest.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Hi

To check the whereabouts of Tracks 2 and 3 pull the White bar under the preview screen up as far as it will go and pull the white bar beneath Video Track1 down as far as it will go. You should now be able to see Tracks 1 to 6 at least. (Monitor resolution affects to some extent the number of Tracks visible....I see 6 with a 1024 x 768 monitor screen)

As you seem to be getting a black background for your insert in some places check that at those places you do not have a black blank clip/image on one of the lower tracks.. This would allow your insert (on a higher track) to be seen but would block out the video clip on Track 1.

If that looks OK check you haven't inadvertanty clicked the EYE icon at the left end of a track with lower clips on it as this would prevent that track from being output.

Nat.

thanks guys. I followed your advice but found nothing obvious. Meanwhile, I have cut down my video to the piece in question, and followed the recommendations above in creating a package and uploading to Google drive at the below link. Output.mp4 is the output of VideoPad where you can see the problem at 21seconds. In the .vpj file both sections of the film look the same, i.e. two video pieces with overlays that seem to work OK. I only see the problem when I export.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gpFQLW75ZKiZHLjW_n3FjnTR_IODeb0w

Advice very welcome.

thanks

Diarmuid 

Your test project exported fine in beta v7.33.  That version can be downloaded here.  Bear in mind:  it's a test, subject to change.

There were oddities in the project's construction...

Silent and muted audio track 2 was linked to video track 4.  Why that occurred and where two and three went is unclear.  What was the A/V content of the source files?

Cleaned things up by UNlinking those tracks, then deleted audio 2 and renamed video 4 and 5 to video  2 and 3 respectively.

That done, the end of the overlay track ended at :21, so its right-hand boundary was dragged to the end of audio.

Try the test version, and optionally make the indicated changes to see if that does the job for you.