Stem direction

I am looking for help with stem direction. I am writing Classical Guitar music and using voices for the different parts. It would be nice if I could somehow get the stems in voice 1 to point up and say Voice 2 to point down. I would even be happy to just be able to set it by note. Anyone know how to do this? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 1:28 AM, Tony DeVoe said:

Update.... I found Stems in the menu and bars above and below. Very cool! 

Could you explain exactly where you found this - I've searched the menu and can't find stems in the menu or bars above and below - maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I need to be able to split parts for singers on the same stave.

• 8 months later...

Hi there,

New to Crescendo and trying to get a feel for it using the free version. I wanted to ask this same question but looks like there has not been a solution. I wanted the beams where two parts / voices are on the same pitch.

Like Ms Hartley I can't find Tony DeVoe's self discovered solution 'Stems in the menu and bars above and below.'

Thanks,

Hello,

In that case all you need to do is right click on the note you need to change the stem on and a menu with many options will pop-up one of the options is ¨Stem¨ if you hover over it you will get the options ¨Up¨ or ¨Down¨.

Thank you very much Fred28,

I was able to have the stems point in opposite directions automatically (or by default) using Voices. I am only interested in choral music. So I had V1 for Soprano, V2 for Alto and so forth. All was great till I got to where the different Voices progresses at different intervals. This throws the measures alignment to go into disarray.

I dont know whether this problem (non-alignment of notes) was caused when I try to insert the rests. So my question re the rests, when do you insert them, after the notes by measure, or at the end of each Voice etc?

Another question, can you detach the barlines from each stave? Also, do the double barlines affects note alignment?

I want to upload the piece I am working on so you can see exactly what I am doing wrong but cant see such an option.

Rgds, M

• 11 months later...

I had the same question.   I know how to change stem direction for an individual note, but it's a few clicks per note, and that would take a long time.  I want to select voice one, and designate it to be all stems up, regardless of where the note is on the staff. After I've entered the melody that way, I want to select voice 2, and have it designated as stems down, then I can add my accompaniments in that voice.  That would be much quicker than editing every single note for voice and stem direction.  I also cannot see where Tony Devoe found stems in the menu and bars above and below.

Well, now I've answered my own question, so I'll pass it along for any one else having the same problem (which, as it turns out isn't a problem).  For some reason, I wound up looking at the tutorial video on writing for barbershop quartet.  I don't know why, since I don't write scores for barbershop, but the video showed me that crescendo already incorporated the feature I was looking for.  The manual just doesn't say so.

All you do is enter the melody notes as voice one.  Let the tails go up or down as they want to.  Then, to start entering your accompaniments, select voice 2.  As you start to enter the next note, all the notes you entered in voice 1 will flip to tails up, and new notes you add in voice 2 will go tails down.  Exactly what you want for classical guitar music.  I just wish the "manual" said that.