TDDK

Merging 2 videos interactive

OK - I have an interview with me & my subject - 2 camera's recorded video - 1 camera captures both of us - the 2nd camera is only on my subject - my goal is to merge clips from both into 1 stream, so when I am asking a question, we are on 1 video together - when my subject is answering, I want to use the 2nd video - I do this interactive for the full 20 mins of the interview.

How do I do this ? online searches shows joining 2 separate videos together - duh - like that is so difficult.

First time doing a 2 video shoot, now editing so I get 1 - hoping I could have all video in parallel and I could switch interactively between vid1 & vid2.

Any ideas ?

T

There are several ways to accomplish this.  Here's one suggestion...

Place the two-shot on track one.  Immediately above, and in sync, place the one-shot on track two.

When the sequence is played only the track one-shot will be seen:  higher numbered tracks take precedence over lower numbered tracks.

Choose the best audio track and mute the other.  (Mute button is at the left of the track.) UNlink that best track with a right-click|UNLINK FROM VIDEO.

Where you want to see the two shot, split out that segment (SPLIT at the beginning and end) of the one-shot track immediately above. Then click the pointer in the area you just split out press the DELETE key. (Or right-click and click DELETE.)  This will leave a gap in track two and video from track one will be seen.

If, instead of a cut, you want to dissolve from one track to another, use the >||   and   ||<  buttons below the preview window to go to the start of a desired segment on track two.  Click the f icon at the top-left of the clip and specify a duration.  The video will then fade from track one to track two.  To fade back to track one click the transition X at the end of the same track-two segment, enter a duration and click on FADE.

The timeline result will look similar to this.  Note the FADE bars at the start and end of the track-two clip.  

VP_trans.jpg

Hi

Note: Use the SPLIT button under the Sequence Preview window as this will offer the choice of which Track to split. If you use the SPLIT button next to the red cursor line you will split all the tracks.

bb.jpg

You can now split just Video Track 2 and delete the unwanted sections in that track without involving the others. Same result like above.

Nat

Thanks to you both - I will try a test case with these - sure would hate to have 3 or more videos to pull from - of course, I have to pic the exact second when I should switch to next video - usually when the host or other person starts to speak to keep the splitting in close sync to the change in conversation, etc.

Hi

Still not a problem as if the split point is not exactly where you want and you have deleted the section between the splits, just grab the  the end of the short/long clip when you will see a square bracket appear and drag it left or right to change the start/end point. (Don't drag the clip out of position though.) Depending on the version of VP you are using you may see a small white box with a chevron in it at each end of the clip.(You can see these in my image in my above post.) These do the same thing.

Nat