Audio bug versions 7.00 - 7.26

Dangerfreak

Today I discovered a really weird audio bug. It happened to me before (very rare, because it depends on certain audio tracks, but it happend), so I thought it's time to report it.

It's easy to reproduce it:

1. Download the audio track Amazer Lazer from YouTube audio library ( https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary_download?vid=837b7856a4dc14e9 ) and put it into the timeline. It's important to use this audio track, because the bug is very rare and only happens for certain audio tracks.

2. Use a blank clip for the video track

3. Now change the volume of the audio track by clicking on the speaker icon of the audio track in the timeline. Set it to values below 40 (that's important, because higher values seem to work). I used the value 20.

4. Export it as MP4 (that's important, because AVI or other formats seem to work!), video resolution doesn't matter (just use low resolution). It set the video and audio quality to "default quality", but I think it also happens with any other settings (video: auto detect / audio: same as input).

5. Listen to the MP4. The audio has some really weird noises (they sound like compression artifacts). They are quite short and not always at the same position, so you have to listen to the whole audio track carefully.

As already mentioned, it doesn't happen for AVI export files (using MP3 for audio) or for audio volumes higher than 40. I tried to recompress the audio track with audacity, I saved it as .WAV and .OGG, but working with these recompressed audio files in Videopad had the same result. Maybe the AAC codec compression has something to do with it?

Hi

Something a bit odd. Might be VP, the file or my PC.

Version 7.25

I cleared the cache, saved and loaded your sound bite Amazer_Lazer.mp3 to VP. Once processed the clip on the timeline was crossed by numerous regular white lines.......all equally spaced.....

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

I cleared the timeline and  reloaded the clip from the bin several times. It loaded the same every time. It sounded OK however.

Zoom in to your loaded clip and take a look.

It might be related to the mp3 processing VP does.

Might have a connection to your problem. Perhaps NCH might comment.

Nat

The audio has some really weird noises (they sound like compression artifacts)

Several 'tics' heard in the exported file.  Switch to the MPEG4 video compressor and audio export is clean.  No white lines observed.

The file name at the pre-release site indicates7.26, but that's a placeholder.  The version offered at the time of d/l here was 7.25.  The issue has been reported.

Hi

I reverted  VP 7.24 and from a clean cache reloaded the file Amazer_Lazer.mp3. I did this test several times. Each time I cleared the cache and loaded the clip as new. Processing took just a few seconds and each time it loaded to the timeline and played perfectly without any white lines on the track.

The contents of the cache was just two files.....

aa.jpg

In this respect I have to assume VP 2.24 is working correctly.

I then cleared the cache and reverted once more to VP 7.25 and repeated this test.

Each time the file loaded to the timeline with white lines across it as in my previous post.

This time the cache held the following files....

bb.jpg

So how is there a GRF (Graph edit file) file here? An audio file that is twice as large as presumably the same file in VP7.24 and how did I manage to get an AUDINFO file??????

I repeated this test several times and got the same result each time.

I can only come to the conclusion that VP 7.25 has a bug here.

Nat

Hi

I think this is a version bug..

I repeated the tests with several different files both mp3 and wav. I got exactly the same results.. white lines and weird cache files....

aa.jpg

However..

As Borate got normal results with 7.25 I decided to uninstall the copy I was using and download another from the NCH Beta pre release site. This version now seems to work OK so the problem was probably a bug in the version I was using . I suspect that NCH have uploaded a new 7.25 Beta since the one I used as the initial opening project load screen also seems different.

Nat

7.25 has been released, so try this download.

In reality there are several d/l builds - at least of the betas.  Same version #.  One may auto-migrate imported clips to the sequence, the other not.  A random marketing thing.

In this case, 7.25 was downloaded from the above link.  A .wav and three .mp3s were imported.  In this build, if only a single clip is imported it's automatically added to the sequence, or the end of the sequence.  If multiple files are imported they go strictly to the bin.

The previously cleared cache looked like this, and there were no white lines in the audio displays.  Yes, odd.^_^

VP_cache.jpg

image.png

The bolder sequence clip dividers are a welcome enhancement.

Hi

Beta versions are "Work in progress" and are subject of continued changes. Apparently NCH had been working on the Audio Caching system of the version I was using and the  "odd" files types in the cache and regular white lines across the track were timing beats. The released version of 7.25 is OK.

Nat