Working with Insta360 OneX footage in VideoPad

Artist3d

Anyone working with large video files from the Insta360 OneX camera should know that VideoPad seems to be one of the few editors that can actually handle the 5.7K files that the OneX produces. While it will not output 360 videos at the native 5.7K (5120 X 2880), it does output very reasonable quality 4096 X 2304 format videos that I find quite acceptable for viewing in a VR Headset. The problem I occasionally have with editing longer videos is with overall sound-sync and slight pauses in the final playback IF I save in VideoPad's Mp4 option.  I am not sure why VideoPad has problems making longer 5 minute plus .mp4s stay in sync but I have tried a lot of different output options and the following workflow is what finally worked for me. I hope it helps other 360 videographers.

MY WORKFLOW - First thing is of course to output the converted ONEX .insv & .insp video/picture files from the Insta360 Studio; then load the videos and photos into VideoPad -- (be sure to rescale the vertical aspect ratio of all footage to 1.13 using VideoPad's VideoFX Scale function to close any holes at the top and bottom) edit your video accordingly and then output the file 4096 X 2304 at a constant 30fps (or whatever fps you shot the footage at) to a default quality AVI file. these final video mixes play beautifully 'as is' in most VR players for headsets (ie:DEO VR or WhirliGig). If you do need to make .mp4s, use something like the free  'Any Video Converter' to create maximum quality mp4s for sharing and uploading to Youtube, works great.

• 4 years later...
On 8/10/2019 at 4:00 AM, Artist3d said:

of course to output the converted ONEX .insv & .insp video/picture files from the Insta360 Studio;

I know this is an old post but I am new (ish) to the Insta360 world and looking for a desktop app with which to edit the images and videos. I find the mobile based app to be far too fiddly and unsuable.

Anyway, the quoted bit is my primary interest - how exactly are you exporting your images and videos please?

Let me rephrase then, as I believe this is key to using VideoPad - which I haven't yet but want to. I know how to export from my Insta360, but the key aspect is what is the best so as to maintain the 360'ness of my exports for VP.

I guess, putting it as simply as I can ....
      >  In what formats do I need to have my 360 videos and images for me to be able to edit them in VP?

And that's where my querying of the Op as to how they did it is valid. Thanks.

Tested a 360 mp4 file in Videopad 13.59.

A section was excised.  Then the project was exported as an mp4 via the HOME toolbar 360 button.  (Other formats may also succeed.)

To view in VP, right-click in the preview window... image.png

The exported clip looked fine in the GoPro player.

Share a sample file or two, just as you did the jpg files above, and someone (perhaps with more extensive knowledge) will check it out.