VBR bitrate suddenly much higher

bollemanneke

I just bought WavePad 9.24 and found that VBR MP3 files have a much higher bitrate than they used to have. For example: a CD track that I first had in 164 kbps now gets saved in 254kbps, while the source and settings are the same, I think. I did some comparisons and found that the smaller-sized file has been encoded by LAME 3.82. I then made the new WavePad use LAME 3.82, but the problem persists. What’s going on? I was very happy with the smaller files and don’t want these bigger results.

Hello, 

The latest versions of WavePad got an update on the way the mp3 files are encoded, and this causes for the new files to be bigger if compared to the same file compressed with other versions of WavePad or other programs. Sadly, there is nothing on the program to change that other than adjusting the minimum and maximum bitrate as well as the quality.

• 3 months later...

Has their been a fix for this yet?  If I select 128 as the maximum bitrate, the program should abide by my selection but when I choose 128 it saves files at 16x to the 170 range.  I was running an earlier version 9.0 I think and it all of sudden stopped complying with my selection.  I tried upgrading to the latest version but the problem persists.

• 1 year later...
On 7/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, bollemanneke said:

So… does that mean all my previous VBR0 files are in bad quality?

Still no update on the issue !? Any feedback on the above question ? As a solution may be to downgrade to previous version if quality using it was as good.

Also where can we find older version, if any ?