Transition at the end of text

APPLIANCES

Hi, hope you can help.

I am placing text to overlay a still image.

Using VP7.11 I can set the transition at the end of a text to dissolve. This work in preview and the avi exported video. However, using the same project loaded into 7.12, 7.21 or 7.22 the preview again looks correct but in the exported avi video the text does not dissolve it just cuts off. Also tried MP4, same results.

A bug in versions above 7.11?

Hi

Here, using VP 7.21 a text clip placed above the image and having a 2 second Dissolve transition at the end behaves correctly both on the timeline and in an exported .avi  file and .mp4 file.

However, the project file (vpj file) may not behave exactly as expected when created in an earlier version of VP and imported to a later version of VP. Note  also that 7.22 is a Beta version and still being checked out. Being pre-release It is updated frequently and depending on when you download it some features may not yet work correctly.

If it's not a huge project can you Save Portable Project as (from the File menu) and upload the folder created to Dropbox or similar. Make it public and someone will take a look. The latest released version of VP is 7.21 so it would be best to use this version to create your project file.

Nat

Hi

"Confirmed here.  But it appears to happen only when a fade in has also been programmed, using the f icon in the clip.  With no fade in, the fade out exports.  Reported."

Tried this with a Fade-in and Dissolve and it worked OK here. :blink:. But there seems to be some condition somewhere where even the Dissolve on its own won't work.

Try this.

1. Image to Track 1
  2. Text to Track 2 (automatically)
  3. Click  X and add Dissolve effect.

No Dissolve noted in Clip Preview (Although a Fade-in, if added is seen)

Dissolve noted in Sequence Preview.

Place red cursor over the transition area and switch between previews or use dual screen to see what I refer to........

aa.jpg

In this case the Dissolve did NOT export with an avi but the Fade-in did. Definitely something not working correctly. Seems that a transition is associated with a text image  in sequence preview but has not been associated with the text image on export.

Ordinary jpg images on Track 2 with dissolve seem to work OK. (But my original export with 7.21 did work.

Nat

Hi.

Rather than send the project I am working on, it’s a little large, I put together a simple project to highlight the issue of exported video in which the text is set to the transition dissolve. The project was created in 7.11 See here

Load into 7.11. The preview is correct, exported to an avi or mp4 video and the text dissolving correctly, using the same project loaded into 7.12, 7.21 or 7.22 the preview again looks correct but in the exported avi or mp4 video the text does not dissolve, it just cuts off.

As a further test I created another project this time in 7.21. Again, the transition dissolve did not work on the text when exported to a video from 7.21, but when the same project is exported to a video from 7.11 it works.

I find the statement “However, the project file (vpj file) may not behave exactly as expected when created in an earlier version of VP and imported to a later version of VP.”, very disturbing!  Its reasonable to expect any good software should be forward compatible. Something created in 7.0 should work in 7.21.

Created the above before I read Borates then Nationalsolo posts. So it is a bug in 7.12 and above, thanks Borate and Nationalsolo

Granted, backwards compatibility is desirable, yet not always possible.  Some inconsistencies may crop up, especially in 7.12 and later versions as methodology has been improved.  Thus it is best to export from the version used to create the project when possible.

In order for others to run your project, please make the server files public (share), for downloading.

Hi borate, Sorry I thought I had made the file public (share) with a link. Try this link here or here 

Please let me know if both links work for downloading as this is the first time, I have shared a file. If there is still a share problem, I will need to do some reading.

• 2 weeks later...

I note that VP 7.23 has been release.

Just to express my disappointment that the subject bug has not been fix!  😢

Exported video, text with fade in and transition dissolve at end text does not dissolved it just cuts off.

Back to 7.11.

Reported once again.  While it is being addressed, go the TRANSITION effects route, as suggested earlier.

Click the Select Preset chevron, choose Fade IN and OUT, then drag the dots (keyframes) to achieve the desired fade duration.

Click the blue icon squiggly line if the graph isn't visible.

Clipboard01.jpg

Hi all

Version 7.23 New Project

1. Added Fade effect to end of clip(MP4)
  2. Added Fade-in to start of clip (f box).  Clip previews correctly
  3. Exported clip as .avi
  4. Played .avi in WMP

Both fades worked OK.

New Project   Same clip

1. Added Fade-in to start of the clip
  2. Added Fade effect to end of clip. Clip previewed correctly
  3. Exported clip as .avi
  4. Played .avi in WMP

Both fades worked OK.

New Project Same clip

1. Load clip and split clip.
  2. Deleted right hand section
  3. Added Fade effect to end of clip(MP4)
  4. Added Fade-in to start of clip (f box).  Clip previews correctly
  5. Exported clip as .avi
  6. Played .avi in WMP

Both fades worked OK

New Project   Same clip

1. Load clip and split clip.
  2. Deleted right hand section
  3. Added Fade-in to start of clip
  4. Added Fade effect to end of truncated clip Clip previewed correctly
  5. Exported clip as .avi

Both fades worked OK in WMP

Sorry if my findings are not what you are seeing...They work here...Am I missing something? :)

I also checked these variations  exporting  as mp4 which also worked OK

and I Also checked these variations using Cross fade.........All exports worked as well here..

In fact I couldn't make it NOT work!  I can only suggest you download and try VP 7.23   But out of curiosity you could also try a COMPLETE uninstall and then a reload of your current version with the vpsetup.exe  as files may have become corrupted. They have done here on occasion as I swap versions quite frequently.

Nat

Hi

"... Try the fades on an OVERLAY, not the main track, and see what you get. ..."

Ah!............

VIDEO CLIPS on the overlay track work correctly with both fades (f and effect) both in preview and exported .avi

IMAGE CLIPS on the Video Track 2 work correctly with both fades (f and effect) IN PREVIEW but the Effect fade is not seen in the export

IMAGE CLIPS on Video Track 1  work correctly with both fades (f and effect) IN PREVIEW but the Effect fade is not seen in the export

Problem seems to be with Image clips/Text clips and not the track they are on. Even if a blank is added after the image clip the effect is not exported.

Several images with crossfades between them (like a slideshow) preview and export OK   Add a fade-in to first one and it loses its crossfade.whilst the the remaining images are unaffected and still cossfade.

Nat

Thanks guys, for taking the time to test and confirming there is a bug in the latest release, VP 7.23

Until it gets fixed my best solution is to revert to the last build that did not contain the bug,VP 7.11

Anyway, look forward to the bug being fixed soon. 😊

Thanks for the suggestion. I have 36 text clips in my current project, all with fade in and dissolve.

Probable easier to stay with 7.11 rather than convert each to transparency as not all have the same fade in or dissolve time.

Hopefully the bug fix won’t take too long.

Thank all for your attention.

Hi

The closest you will get (at present) is..

1. Click the f for each text clip and set fade in time for each. (Can be done as they are created.)
  2. Select ALL the text clips
  3. Click Video Effects tab on the top toolbar.
  4. Select Transparency effect and then Select Preset.
  5. Choose Fade out from the list (or you can set up your own Fade-out)
  6. Now click Append effect chain to all selected clips. (7th button along top of the effects window....looks like a piece of film in green) This applies your fade out to all other text clips.

Different times etc for each text does make things a bit phaffy though :(

Nat

OK Borate you are confusing me!

Why would I need to go back as far as 7.02 when I have stated in all my posts 7.11 works.

It’s only builds after 7.11 that contain the bug I am seeing, text block, fade in, then dissolve, that dissolve is cutting off.

Can you explain further?

Set up a transparency effect curve as shown above.

Click the SAVE icon on the effects window toolbar - 4th from the left.

Give it a name.  That creates a custom template which will be just another effect choice.

Click on it whenever you want to apply that specific fade in/out timing to a clip.

You can also create a  template strictly for a fade out, or most any other custom effect.

Nat said:

I have suggested in the past that if the developers can add a Fade-in f box at the start of a clip (image or video) they could also put an f box at the the end of a clip.

The only catch there is that the f applies to only the first clip in a sequence and likely would clutter the thumbs if it displayed on every clip.

Perhaps right-click video options could be incorporated to mirror some of those now available for audio:  FADE IN, FADE OUT and their sub categories?

Hi Borate

That is true for the clips/images on track 1 which don't normally have gaps,  but I really meant for texts /titles set up on the overlay track and which are mostly  separated and each of which have the Fade-in f. (and usually if you fade-in  a text in you also fade it out.)

Nat

Thanks borate for your latest suggestions, they could work for me, will try.

Nationalsolo, I am using an overlay track with a gap between each test block, so your suggestion for a fade-out could also work for me.

Or maybe best of all NCH just fix the bug.😉