// Absolute newbie just wants to remove unwanted portions from video file //

Rick Trelles

Hi.

I managed to extract first  wanted portion of the file hoping I could continue extracting and adding to the timeline, but I don't see how even extract next portion.

Should I extract the whole file to the time line and delete portions?

Please help. Thank you

Several approaches

Remove unwanted segments from the timeline...

Import the clip, then drag it to the timeline, or right-click|PLACE ON TIMELINE.  Then place splits at the start and points of material that will be deleted.  Right-click on the new 'to be deleted' clip and DELETE|RIPPLE.  It will vanish, and the clips to its right will slide left, leaving no gap.

Add desired segments to the timeline...

Import the clip, but do not place it on the timeline.  Click on the clip in the bin.  Then, under the preview window drag the scrubber (red line) to the IN point that you want.  Click [SET START.   Drag it to where you want video to end and ]SET END.  Click the chevron at the right of the ADD button and choose where the clip is to be placed.  It appears on the timeline at that position.

This can be repeated time after time.  First click the clip in the bin, then mark new points.  If you prefer to have individual clips in the bin that reflect each sub-clip, first duplicate the original by right-clicking on it and COPYing.  Then right-click and PASTE CLIP.  Any number of duplicates can be added.

Check out tutorials at https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html

Hi

As an absolute Newbie........

• Place video clip on the timeline
  • Play, or drag thered cursor line to start of unwanted section. Click the Split scissor icon just to the right of the cursor line.
  • Play, or drag the red cursor line to end  of unwanted section, Click the Split scissor icon just to the right of the cursor line.
  • If you don't see the Split scissor button..left click the block at the top of the red cursor line.)
  • Repeat for the remainder of the video.....Splitting the track at the Start and End of unwanted segments.
  • Go back to the start of the timeline. For each unwanted segment......Right Click the segment and select Delete
  • Go back to the start of the timeline. For each gap  created....Right click the gap and select Close Gap in Track

Nat

Thank you, borate and Nat. I'm experimenting with option two from Borate, maybe i'll use Nat's idea too to cutoff portions from the timeline.

I have to work slow. I'll let you know if there are further problems I cannot solve.

Thank you again.

Rick

Hi Rick

Another method which you might find quicker....... NOTE: This will delete a section on ALL Tracks...

With your video clip/s on the timeline....

• Right click the dark grey area above the tracks at a point where you want to start the cut (Normally this area is the overlay track but any empty track will do.)
  • Drag the mouse cursor to the right and a blue area  over all the tracks will appear. (See below)
  • Release the mouse at the point where you want the cut to end.
  • Right click on a track within the blue area and click the Delete selected Region option that appears..The tracks will rejoin automatically after the deletion.

bb.jpg

•  

Any joins in the clips deleted are eliminated. Any effects that were added to clips which were cut by the deletion will be retained in the section left on the timeline. The procedure can be repeated as many times as required.

Nat