Multiple video tracks

DrBob

Newbie here. I was trying to add titles and clips between some clips I had already put into a sequence, and I seem to have inadvertently created a second "video track." I now have "Video track 1" and "Video track 2". When I preview the sequence, it shows the added clip in the right place. However, when I go to Storyboard, I don't see the clips from "Video track 2". All I want is a single sequence. Why did I get a "Video track 2", and how do I combine the two tracks into a single track? Thanks in advance.

Depending upon the intent, it can be wise to use multiple video tracks.  But only the main track will be visible in Storyboard mode.

Be aware that higher numbered tracks overlay lower number tracks.  If there is an image on track one and another of the same size on track two, only track two will be seen.

Make the track two image smaller - with SCALE, for example - and track one will display in areas not covered by track two.  This is picture-in-picture.

When the project is exported, all tracks in the sequence will be combined.

Hi DrBob

".. Newbie here. I was trying to add titles and clips between some clips I had already put into a sequence, and I seem to have inadvertently created a second "video track." I now have "Video track 1" and "Video track 2". ..

When you first open VP and start a new project you will only see Video Track 1. However, above this is a grey zone into which you can (as it says) drop Overlay Clips, Text and Images.  When you do this the area becomes Video Track 2.which is an Overlay Track and a new grey drag and drop zone is created above this and so on. 

Now, when you create a Title or Text it is automatically placed in the gray areaso generating a Video Track 2 . So what you have is quite normal. Note that images/Text and Titles placed on this track will play over lower tracks.In this way you can have a title with a transparent background playing on top of the video on Track 1. If you don't want clips there you can easily move them into a new position or drag them down to a lower track. VP can handle numerous tracks.

"...However, when I go to Storyboard, I don't see the clips from "Video track 2"..."

Storyboard mode will only show images and Video clips (including Titles and Text) that you have placed on the main timeline. i.e. Video Track 1. The Overlay Tracks are not shown.

".... how do I combine the two tracks into a single track? ..."

In most instances Text and Titles are better placed on an overlay track, where they don't interfere. However, if you really want only Video Track 1 to be used and you don't want to go back to square one, you can combine the Tracks. Simply grab and drag the clips/images/Text from the overlay track down onto Video Track 1 and move them into the position required. Do this without letting the mouse go. This action will insert the Image/Clip/Text into Video Track 1 but it creates a gap in the audio track. (In essence the track is split and the image/text/clip  from the overlay is pushed into the split. This can be a complication to remedy if the sound for Track 1 is important. This is one reason for using the overlay track. (Images/Text/Titles do not have an associated audio track hence the gap is silent. A Video clip however will insert its own soundtrack (if it has one) into the gap. If you expect different audio for the inserted clip that's not a problem.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer. Come back if you are still puzzled.

Nat

• 11 months later...

Hi! New here :)

Please help! I am trying to add an audio clip to my Video track. So I managed to add it. But now I want to somehow view the audio and the clip simultaneously because I am going to add a narration to the clips but with the music still in the background. How can I do that? I need to see the timing on the clips to know where to fade the sound to add narration clip?

Thank you:)

Click the HOME menu tab, than the Record Narration toolbar button.  A screen appears where the project will play as you add narration.

To record narration, there must already be at least one clip (of any type) on the sequence. Then do one of the following: lSelect "Clip" -> "Record" -> "Narrate". lClick the arrow next to the "Record" button the tool bar and select "Narrate.".

http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/content_narration.html

Once you have the narration correctly placed on the audio overlay track, try the ducker to automatically dip background music/audio when narration comes in.

Ducker settings are under OPTIONS | AUDIO tab.  To enable the ducker, right click on the background track and click BACKGROUND SOUND.

Hi Lusch

Here's another approach I find useful..

• Temporarily mute the audio track or reduce the volume to zero with the slider at the left end of the track.
  • Record your narration  as Borate describes and place it on the next audio track.
  • Play the sequence and gradually bring up the audio track volume that you muted (or reduced to 0) until the balance betweenthe background music and your narration  is OK. Generally I find about 30% volume for the background music gives a reasonable balance.

Ducking can be somewhat distracting  depending on the gaps left between episodes of speech. The background music can go UP/DOWN ..... UP/DOWN  quite rapidly. A steady balanced volume can often sound better. Try the ducker by all means but also listen to professional commentary in documentaries on the TV and see if the background goes up/down when the commentator speaks.

Note that the volume set with the left end track volume slider is exported.

Nat