clip loaded to run at wrong speed

mbowman

Just installed VideoPad. When I loaded a clip and looked at it in Preview, the sound track ran at a high speed so the voices sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks. What should have been a 12.5 minute audio track was done running in 8.5. Also, the video, which came from a file in which is had a 16:9 format was now 4:3. How do I get the clips to load and run at the right speed and aspect ratio?

Hi

What version of VP have you installed? 

If the audio track is not linked to the video right or is a separate audio clip that you have added, right click it to open a choice window followed by selecting the option  Change Clip Speed. The speed % shown here should be 100.000   If it is not (it will be above 100% if it plays fast) then change it to 100.000. 

If it DOES read 100.000  and is still playing fast then you can progressively lower the value until it plays at the correct speed. This will largely be a matter of trial and error.

The problem here is that if the sound clip is playing fast,  slowing it down to a normal pitch may make it physically longer on the timeline than the video clip. If this is the case you may have to trim the audio or change the speed of the video clip or add further video clips to extend its duration.

However if you want the audio to run for the duration of the video (irrespective of the pitch) use the setting of Change Clip Speed to alter the length of the audio clip so it matches the length (as closely as possible) of the video clip on the timeline.

Under the preview screen is an Aspect Ratio control....set this to 16:9. This is just for the appearance of the preview screen.  On export If your video is 16:9 then export it as 16:9. that is...Set the Resolution to the same as the project i.e. one of the 16:9 AR settings. Note that if your project contains any clips that are not 16:9 the Auto match settings will show a non 16:9 AR  so change this to Auto match force 16:9.

Export this setting with Letterbox or Crop and zoom which should export at 16:9. (Version 7.12 also has a Stretch setting.)

Nat

I'm running VideoPad v7.11 I do not see an Aspect Ratio control under the preview screen. I checked the Change Clip Speed control and it was set at 100. If I changed it so the audio track ran as long as the video track, the pitch was still altered and was not in sync with the video.

Thanks for responding.

Hi

".... I'm running VideoPad v7.11 I do not see an Aspect Ratio control under the preview screen "..

OK...That feature is new in VP 7.12 Beta which is still being evaluated and the one I am currently running.The comments re. the AR of your export would still apply in 7.11 however. Did they help?

One thing I perhaps should have mentioned is that if you alter the speed control of the audio track you should, in your case, untick the option to Keep audio pitch unchanged.  You will then slow down the audio and probably lower the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" effect to a more normal pitch at the same time. Getting it to synch with the video will be another challenge. <_<

If these suggestions still don't help follow Borate's instructions and share the project.

Nat