video overlay

italiangen

I've started a new topic; namely video overlay.  Here is the last reply

I have a video file of a PowerPoint presentation and I want this to be the major image displayed in my video.  I have another video file of the room presentation took place and I want to just crop the presenter and place his image in the upper right hand corner as a thumbnail image.  I really don't want to split the screen, just overlay his image onto the video of the slides.  Thanks for your help.  PeterD

borate Posted 14 hours ago

Place the PP presentation on track one.  Overlay the presenter's image on track 2.Click the fx button in the track 2 image clip and use the CROP|POSTION|SCALE effects to size and place it where you want it.The background and insert should both be shown in CLIP preview mode.   Set the VIEW drop-down menu (under the preview window) set to CLIP AND BACKGROUND.

Borate, I followed your suggestion and placed the PP on T1 and put the presenter's video on T2.  When I click fx on T2 to crop, etc, the preview screen shows me T1.  Is it that T1 should be T2 and visa versa?  I know that I'm not understanding a basic concept here and I do apologize for that.  Peter D

Thanks.  My situation is a bit different.  I want to capture the presenter, not as a still photo, but the video of just him at the podium, then place that cropped image in the upper right hand corner.  Nonetheless, I learned something from your video clip.  Thank you.

Ah Ha!  And as in your example, the trick is to select the View to be Clip and background.  Then if I want this overlay to start at a particular point then I should Split T1 at the point where I want to do the overlay and Split T2 at the point I want his cropped image to begin.  I guess I have to line them up on the timeline?

Hi

You don't need to split Video Track 1. Keep that as it is.

• The overlay clip..(Your presenter,) is placed on Video Track 2 which is the overlay track. NOTE:  This is a separate clip and has no connection with track 1 except it will play on top of it where they overlap......
  • Trim it at it's start point and end point as you would any clip.(These are the points where your presenter starts and finishes). Use the START and END markers in the clip preview to do this.
  • Move the overlay clip along Track 2. so it lies over the clip on Track1.Move the red cursor line so it goes through both clips (see the image below) Select the overlay track.
  • Click View on the toolbar and select Show Dual Previews.
  • Now use the FX on the Track 2 clip to Crop and Position it within the frame.The Sequence Preview window on the right will show you where the overlay is currently positioned.The Clip Preview pane on the left will show the current size and position of just the overlay clip.(See the image below)
  • Now simply move the clip along  Track 2 until it starts at the point you want.

This screenshot shows the result of the procedure.....

aa.jpg

Sequence Preview on the right shows the final result. On the left is the Clip Preview showing just the cropped and positioned overlay on Track2 (This clip is the selected one.) The inset pane shows both tracks at the cursor position The inset pane in this image shows the Position and Crop FXs control panel for the overlay track..

In this example the overlay with the badge starts to play after after around 3 seconds of just the cat. Thereafter they play together.

Hope this clarifies things a little

Nat

Thank you very much Nat.  This is a big help and I think I will be able to follow your instructions. 

One other point; let's say I want the presenter clip to play uncropped for the 1st 7 minutes, then cropped and overlayed onto Track 1 for the next 30 minutes.  Then, from that point until the end I want the uncropped presenter.  How does this change your procedure.

Hi

From this I assume that your presenter clip lasts for the full length of the project.

There are several ways to do this....here is one...

1. Place the main video on Track 1 (as before) and the presenter clip on Track 2.
  2. Line Track 1 and Track 2 so they start together. (Only Track 2 will be visible if the timeline is played at this point.)
  3. Where you wish the presenter to appear cropped, (at 7 minutes) Split Track 2
  4. Apply the Crop and Position effect now to remaining part of Track 2
  5. After a further 30 mins Split Track 2 once more.
  6. Remove the Crop and Position effect from the remaining part of Track 2.

Using the same clips as in the last post your timeline will look like this.........

aaa.jpg

Track 1 will play for the full length but be covered by the full size image of Track2. Then at 7 mins in Track 2 will show the cropped and positiond Track2  revealing Track1 beneath. Then at 30 mins  further on Track 2 will revert to being full size and cover Track1.

Obviously you may want to mute the invisible sections of Track 1 which would require that this track might also need to be split allowing just the uncovered central section to be heard. That's up to you.Another point to remember is that Track 1 can be dragged right or left so the required portion appears  as the background to the cropped Track 2

A more sophisticated approach might be to not split Track 2 at all and apply the Crop and Position effects using keyframes so the presenter clip reduces in size and simultaneously moves to the required area as an animation at the 7 minute point  with the action reversing after another 30 minutes.

Here is the same timeline showing the overlay (The sign)  reducing in size and at the same time moving to the upper corner.

aaaa.jpg

If you want more detailed info on how to do this come back here.

Nat

Nat,  I can't thank you enough for you  detailed information.  This is also true for Borate.  I was very successful in accomplishing this project.  I'd say that I scored a 90%.  A little more fine tuning and it's a 95%.  I really learned a lot.  With more experience I'm sure I'll fell more comfortable and confident.

Here is another question.  I was able to replace the audio from the presenter's auditorium podium mic with a second mic that captured his voice much or clearly.  The improvement I'm trying to accomplish now is during the Q&A session.  The audience volume is much lower and I did adjust this by applying Amplification.  Is there a way I can equalize the audiences amplified levels to achieve consistency?  Should this question start a new topic as per rules?  If so, is there an easy way to do this? 

Thanks User007 for the link.  Big thanks again for the excellent support by both Borate and Nationalsolo!!!! 

Hi

Thanks. Glad the contributions were helpful. That is what the forum is for.

Just click Start a New Topic at the top of the forum page and follow the prompts.(It's not really a rule, but it allows forum users to see a new topic when one arises. It would get missed if simply added on to an old and different thread.)

However, I assume you have a audio track that has:  Question (quiet)....Answer (Loud).......Question (quiet).......Answer (loud)  etc. If so your Audio track might look something like this..... The questions are too quiet but the answers are OK....

aaa.jpg

If so, you could try this.....

• Click the FX on the Audio track.
  • Select Amplify from the choices. The Default level is 100%.
  • Select the Audio Track and go into Clip Preview.
  • Set the cursor just before the start of a question
  • Click the small green + with the red line at the top of the graph to set a keyframe. This will draw a line across the graph at 100% value and create a small keyframe marker on the line..
  • Enter a higher value in the Gain% box or move the Gain% slider to the right. The graph line will move up.
  • Play the clip in Clip Preview to test the level. Keep adjusting the value  (moving the red cursor line back to keep it on the question area)  and note the Gain% value when the question sounds OK. (e.g. 195%) You have now found the gain% value for your audience questions.

Now..Using the Clip Preview screen to monitor...

• Reset everything by deleting the Amplify effect (White X) and re-selecting the Amplify effect.(Large Green +)
  • Move the cursor back to the start of the first question (or the start of the clip) and enter your found Gain Value (195%) The blue line will jump up to 195%
  • Click the small green + with the red line to create a keyframe.
  • Using the Clip Preview as a monitor move the red cursor line to a point just after the question and create another keyframe.(195%) The question sound has now been enhanced to your selected level
  • Move the cursor line just past the new keyframe marker and enter 100% The line will jump vertically down to 100%. (If you get a slanting line you have not gone past the keyframe marker..)
  • Create another keyframe.
  • Move the cursor to the end of the Answer and create another keyframe (100%) The answer will now be at 100% Gain.
  • Move the cursor just past the new keyframe marker and enter 195%. The line will jump vertically back up to 195%
  • Create another keyframe
  • Move cursor to end of next question and create another keyframe (195%)
  • Continue like this.

Your Amplify graph should now look something like this....

bb.jpg

Playing the clip the sound of both question and answers should be a similar levels.

If the questions are still too quiet (or the answers too loud) you can grab each of the markers and adjust the levels vertically until they are close to what you require.

bbb.jpg

You will need to experiment a bit. It's not perfect but does work.

Nat

Thanks Nat.  I needed to reread the procedure several times before I understood the procedure.  Here are my comments and questions

1. Originally, I think I accomplished the same thing but far less eloquently and more labor intensive.  I split the beg and ending of Answers and used Amplify to bring up the level.  I repeated this some 20 times.  So, let's say I wanted to rework my efforts and implement yours,  how do I remove all those splits and get rid of all those fx adjustments?  

2. What I'm understanding now is that I only need 1 Fx window for all ANSWERS and then 1 AMPLIFY effect adjust for each KEYFRAMED answer, then another KEYFRAME for the next Answer + another AMPLIFY effect... 20 times.  Lets say that a few of the Answers are still too low;  then I can increase the markers gain% for that answer, independently.  

Am I correct?  Big thanks.

Amplification for each block can be adjusted by dragging its handles (squares) up (louder) or down (softer), as described by Nat, above.

To remove a split on the timeline, place the pointer at the split point and right-click.  In most cases there is an UNsplit choice.

To delete an effect, open the effects window.  Click the white X that's to the right of the name of the specific effect.

Hi italiangen

"... What I'm understanding now is that I only need 1 Fx window for all ANSWERS and then 1 AMPLIFY effect adjust for each KEYFRAMED answer, then another KEYFRAME for the next Answer + another AMPLIFY effect... 20 times.  Lets say that a few of the Answers are still too low;  then I can increase the markers gain% for that answer, independently.  

Am I correct?  Big thanks......"

That's about it. You don't really need to split the clips (or the  unlinked sound clip) and add amplify to each bit.which, as you note is somewhat labour intensive although effective. The method outlined simply allows you to use the whole intact clip using the amplify effect with keyframes. to treat different parts of the sound clip. Any adjustments to either question or answer can be made on the single clip by moving the keyframe markers. With this type of sound difference  in a clip I think any method of re-adjusting is cumbersome unfortunately

I looked at this from another perspective that should have worked somewhat better but doesn't. I split the clip to isolate questions and answers and dragged the quiet questions down onto audio track2. (The video went up to Video Track 2. I then grouped the sound clips  (or selected them all at once) and tried to apply the amplify effect to the multiple clips. (So all questions could be amplified to the required level in one go.. This did not work even though VP asked if I wanted the effect added to all clips...it still only added the effect to the last clip selected. This is a bug in version 7.03 which I though had been fixed. Had it worked it might have simplified matters.

This is a complicated area in VP as in this instance all the "clips" are actually sections of the same clip and I thought that that might have been the reason but in fact (at least here) the "multiple clip effect doesn't work even on a selection of different clips.

I'll mention this to NCH and see if just me. :mellow:

In the meantime I think you are stuck with the methods outlined above.....I tried this splitting and changing track idea and in some ways in fact,  I found it not too bad once you had the level set........Goes to show! :rolleyes:

Nat

Here's the workaround for using amplify and some other effects on more than a single clip at once...

1.  Select the clips to which the effect will be applied.

2.  Click FX in one of the clips or AUDIO EFFECTS on the toolbar

3.  Choose AMPLIFY and move the slider to the desired volume

4.  Click the 5th button from the left on the toolbar whose popup reads "Append to chain."

If the selected clips' volume later needs to be adjusted, make the change with the slider, then click the 4th button, "Replace in chain."

Wow.  I guess what I'm going to to is Highlight the entire  40 minutes of Q&A and save it as a new file.  Then start a new project and work on how to make the adjustment as described by you both.  I just keep learning a lot from the two of you.....:D

Question:  why is it that if I wanted to establish a new Fx point I need to be in Sequence Mode?  Then after selecting Amplify and to set Keyframe I need to be in Clip mode.  

It's a stretch but....   Wouldn't be nice if I could Copy and Paste the entire Q&A clip and have VP level out all the valleys on the Q's.  Several might have to come up and additional gain of 100% others, just 50%.

Thanks again.

Why is it that if I wanted to establish a new Fx point I need to be in Sequence Mode?  Then after selecting Amplify and to set Keyframe I need to be in Clip mode? 

Keyframes can be plotted in either mode.  If you want to see both CLIP and SEQUENCE, click the View menu and choose Show Dual Previews.

Wouldn't be nice if I could Copy and Paste the entire Q&A clip and have VP level out all the valleys on the Q's

Actually, there may be a way.  Add the COMPRESSOR effect.  Set the threshold to -40 and the ratio to 6 as a test and see what that does.  Fiddle with those values for best result.

Hi

Setting effects keyframes is done on a CLIP and hence the CLIP is monitored  in Clip Preview. Indeed when you click FX it is the FX for a particular CLIP. and so the Clip Preview window automatically opens and shows any options (like the box for crop) and the results of the effect when the parameters are altered. The cursor line in the effect window is the same as the cursor line seen in the Clip Preview window..They are linked. That is not to say you can't also swap to the Sequence Preview window (or view them both side by side)..but this only shows the preview frame at the position of the timeline red cursor. (Of course if you only have a single clip on the timeline this also becomes the sequence, but the cursor line position behaviour still applies.

Remember that the timeline cursor baris not the same as the clip cursor bar. Moving the timeline cursor to find a split point automatically opens the sequence preview window. Having split the sequence you have created another clip with an new FX. Clicking this then opens the clip preview.....

" Wouldn't be nice if I could Copy and Paste the entire Q&A clip and have VP level out all the valleys on the Q's.  Several might have to come up and additional gain of 100% others, just 50%. "

THAT was the idea of dropping the low volume questions onto Audio track 2 and applying the effect to all the clips at once...As I said despite following the advocated steps for this...it wouldn't work.    Did Borate's method for doing the same thing work for you. Here the 5th "Append to chain" tab was not highlighted and therefore inactive. No idea why.

Nat

Did Borate's method for doing the same thing work for you?  Here the 5th "Append to chain" tab was not highlighted and therefore inactive.

Weirdness.

Three clips on the timeline here - all selected.  Clicked the audio FX button, then the AMPLIFY effect.  Adjusted volume to 50%.  Clicked the 5th (append) icon, which was active.

All clips were at 50%.  ??

HI

I don't understand this.......The blasted tab is active now!!+@+**   Added three clips in various ways....Linked the clips in different ways and the B******** button is now lit up.  Yet previously as well as just before all the FX went blue and using the Audio FX toolbar tab as well as the Video FX toolbar tab AND being asked if I wanted to place the FX on all the selected clips (i.e. three) .... it didn't work!!!

Well.....I have a loud soft clip so I'll try it out.

Nat    (Bit Frustrated.....emed sam to take a look as well,,,😡

Hi all

After playing around with this for a bit. I think I have found out why things are not working correctly.... so make a note of this and try it out to confirm...

Separate and different clips on the timeline can be grouped or linked with Shift + Clip first then clip last and then the "Append to other selected clips tab will be active....BUT the action of splitting any of the clips (making more clips) will cause the tab to be inactive. If you add a single clip to the timeline and split it into three clips..(ie. to make 4 clips..as with a loud soft sound clip made to test this thread)  although you can link them or group them VP still sees them as a SINGLE CLIP and hence the tab is not active. I think this is an oversight,

This means that in the context of this post, splitting out the loud and soft areas of the soundrack means that even though you would appear to have made numerous clips they cannot all have an effect added at the same time as the tab will not be available.

My tests didn't work until I removed the split test clip.  

2 mins later....

Still..There may be something else   as repeating with just three clips it again didn't work. 😡

Nat