Preview Mode cuts out irregularly, troubleshooting help?

MrPotatoHead

I'm having a great deal of trouble testing out custom voice mods because I can't get the Preview mode to stay on. Either it ends spontaneously after a few seconds, or it persistently starts-and-stops while recording only the second or two of audio. I've tried this in and out of Safe Mode, and with my voice application (Discord) both active and inactive. None of that limited troubleshooting seems to solve the problem or indicate what is causing the glitch. Can anyone help narrow down what I need to do so it will stay working?

Hi MrPotatoHead,

Could you tell describe me the custom mods you are trying? If you are adding too many effects, that might cause the processing time to be very long and fail the audio driver, or there might be a some combination of effects that is causing a problem maybe.

Regards,

Yusuf

Okay, after some more experimentation, I've got the following:

All of the default, preset voices appear to work fine regardless of how many effects are involved (between 2 and 5). Though in the process of testing that I accidentally changed the "Robot" voice away from its defaults, can someone tell me the original preset value of Robot's Echo effect?😒

The custom mod I was having trouble with was a 4-effect string - Pitch 0.6, Distortion 100% at -32 dB, Low Pass -1600 Hz, and Amplify 250%. It was otherwise identical to the "Ogre" default except with a lower Pitch and higher Amplify. Altering the Pitch quality up to 0.7, though, and now the mod seems to work just fine. So I kept tweaking, and it appears a Pitch value of 0.62 or lower causes the mod to stop detecting input of any kind. Verified this with another custom that was nothing but Pitch, and at 0.62 the input stops working. At Pitch 0.63 or higher it seems to have no issues.

So thanks, Yusuf, I know what the specific issue was, though now I'm baffled as to the 'why'. Is this a problem with my microphone and/or natural speaking voice, that lowering its pitch too far means Voxal can't "hear" it at all?

Hi MrPotatoHead,

Thank you for your help in identifying the issue. I've done some testing and it seems this is a bug in pitch shifter if the pitch shift value is 0.62 or lower as you've discovered. Rest assured, this isn't a problem in your microphone but it is rather a mathematical calculation error with some specific values. The good news is, it isn't a major issue. For pitch shifter lowest value that can be picked was 0.60 and there won't be any noticable difference in the sound for values 0.6 vs 0.63 etc. For now, you can use 0.63 as lowest in pitch sihfters until the next release of Voxal. 

For the Robot's default echo values, normally you shouldn't be able to save any modification to default values in default presets. You can save your modifications but that will be saved as a new custom voice preset and the default one should have its default values still. You can check if it still has the default values, for robot preset:

PitchShifter ->  Pitch Shift:0.9

Echo-> Gain: 75%,  Time: 20ms

Amplify: 64%

Thank you for your help in identifying the issue, you can let me know if you any other problems or issues with Voxal.

Regards,

Yusuf