Copy and paste sections of video into a new video

colhea

I have 6.24 for windows. I have finished my first video. Now I want to copy some smaller sections and paste into a new shorter video. I looked at similar questions on the forum and both were very complicated. One was to create a new sequence (to create a duplicate) and using the red and blue brackets create a small selection, placing it on the thumbnail line and export. well it was very confusing to do and pieces of my video got moved around, so I backed out. I had made a copy so that was okay, didn't lose anything.  The other advice was too complicated also. I did not see any instructions for highlighting the section I want to copy and placing it in a new video.

Goal: I want to create a new video taking small sections of my longer video.  thank you

Here's a relatively simple approach...

Create a new blank sequence by clicking the + sign to the right of the sequence 1 tab that's above the timeline.

Click the sequence 1 tab to restore it to the timeline.

Either select (highlight) all the clips to be used for the shorter video or split out the segments to be used and select each, one-by-one.

Press <ctrl-C> to copy them.

Click the sequence 2 tab.

Press <ctrl-V> to paste.

You can then work with sequence 2 to refine the abridged version.  When complete, and while it is on the timeline, export it.  ONLY the displayed sequence will be exported.

Hi Borate, thanks but my husband and I have been trying it in many different ways but when I paste it to sequence 2 it just inserts a text clip and not the section of sequence 1 that I highlighted and copied. Just to make sure that I am copying it correctly. I take the red bar and highlight my section, then I do control C. then I go to sequence 2 and do control V. tell me if I am missing a step here. thank you.

In sequence one, ignore the scrubber (red bar).  Highlight the clip or section by left-clicking it on the timeline.   Then press <ctrl-C>.   Or right-click|COPY.  You can select multiple clips by holding down the <ctrl> key while clicking.

Switch to sequence two.  Position the bar where you want to paste the material and press <ctrl-V>.  Or right-click|PASTE (insert).

Doing this with subsequent clips with add them to the end of existing clips in sequence 2, without the need to move the scrubber.

Another way to highlight several consecutive clips is to left-click  the first clip on the timeline, then press and hold the shift key and left-click on the last clip. After that, release the shift key, press CTRL C to copy and CTRL V to paste it (e.g. into another sequence).

Hi

If your first video is complete and you have exported it. You will have it as a single file on your PC. Assuming you want to use sections of this to create a shorter video you could proceed as follows.

• Open VP and load the old video to the clip bin
  • In Clip Preview use the IN/OUT markers to isolate a section you require.
  • Use the ADD button below the window to place the selected area on the timeline.
  • Click the video in the bin again to bring up the Clip Preview window.
  • Move the IN/OUT markers to make a new selection
  • Use the ADD button below the window to place the new selection on the timeline (At End Start or Cursor or overlay)
  • Proceed in this way to build up a shorter video from the old video clip in the bin.

Nat

Thank you Borate for the video. What I was doing was using the scrubber to highlight and copy, and when I went to sequence 2 it did not paste. So now I copied the clip and pasted that into Sequence 2. Then I deleted what I didn't want. So that worked easily.  And thanks for the other postings of ideas. It all helps!